Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SATA Drives are not being detected (in bios or Windows)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SATA Drives are not being detected (in bios or Windows)

Im making this post for my friend, as I have been trying to assist him in fixing the computer w/ no success. So....

After reinstalling Windows XP my Sata drives are not being detected through windows or in the bios. I tried to reinstall windows xp pro several times and even installed SATA drivers (f6 during installation) and didn't get anywhere. I am unable to update my motherboard because Epox's page doesnt supply any updated drivers for my motherboard, I also tried the newest nvidia's drivers it didnt help either.
    my computer specs are:
    *epox nforce4 mobo (w/ phoenix award bios)... 9npa3 ultra
    *dual core amd opteron processor 165
    *2 gigs ram
    *2 sata drives
    *2 ide drives (windows xp pro is on one of em)

Is there any particular setting that I need to have my bios set to so it can recognize the sata drives? Or am I missing another aspect here... Thanks, any help/advice is appreciated.

jumper settings? and if it is SATA 150 and mobo is SATA 300, or other way around , might need to google for jumper settings. i had to because my sisters mobo was SATA 150 , but had a SATA 300 HD. googled a lil bit and had to change a jumper on the HD... then it was fine!

Comment

Originally posted by imlittlev
      jumper settings? and if it is SATA 150 and mobo is SATA 300, or other way around , might need to google for jumper settings. i had to because my sisters mobo was SATA 150 , but had a SATA 300 HD. googled a lil bit and had to change a jumper on the HD... then it was fine!
      I would agree its def a jumper issue...make sure he has all the cables and power connected properly...lol you never know right?

Comment

Suggestion when ever you install OS and you have multiple drives... Remove or disconnect unnecessary drives and just leave the OS drive in the system. After OS is installed than connect the rest.

Most likely you would need to check the jumper on the ide drives..

Comment

For many motherboards like mine, you have to install SATA drivers when you are installing Windows, just like it was a SCSI Drive.

You know the part where it says" Hit F6 to load third party drivers".

I'll guarantee that is the problem here.

-- Cain

Comment

^ well if it isnt showing up in bios, then it shouldntt be driver.

because BIOS shouldnt need drivers to pick up a SATA Hd. i mean yea, SCSI's use their adapter so a mobo may not detect it, but SATA is built in. A bios usually has reasonable SATA support.

i kinda hate to challenge the older "authority" around here but i honestly dont think its a driver issue!

Comment

Problem Fixed

The Problem has been resolved.
              and the winner Zantheus...
              We both totally overlooked the SATA power cable...(or I just assumed he had it plugged in) after a double check, it seems we just needed to plug it in...

Thanks everyone for the support. I have learned from this...

Comment

LMFAO...I have done that in the past man...dont feel bad I think everyone does it once in their life

Comment

Yeah you need the drivers during Windows install, I had that problem with my laptop re-install.

Comment

Re: Problem Fixed

Originally posted by eminent
                    The Problem has been resolved.
                    and the winner Zantheus...
                    We both totally overlooked the SATA power cable...(or I just assumed he had it plugged in) after a double check, it seems we just needed to plug it in...

Thanks everyone for the support. I have learned from this...
                    Plugging it in has been known to increase performance.
                    [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
                    <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

rofl. reminds me only a few weeks ago my brother in law said he needed a new keyboard because his old one wasn't working(btw, its only about 1.5 months old....) turns out, he unplugged it, and thought it was wireless.... despite the cable coming out of the back of it.

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                        rofl. reminds me only a few weeks ago my brother in law said he needed a new keyboard because his old one wasn't working(btw, its only about 1.5 months old....) turns out, he unplugged it, and thought it was wireless.... despite the cable coming out of the back of it.
                        ROFL...thats hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus
                          ROFL...thats hilarious
                          trust me, if you KNEW the rest of the crap he's done. you'd be rolling around dying...

Comment

trust me, if you KNEW the rest of the crap he's done. you'd be rolling around dying...
                            Enlighten us

Comment

a good example. alot of the other folks here already knew it. he washed his motherboard while it was still plugged in in the kitchen sink because it was dusty...

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X