Where'd the maps go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where'd the maps go?

I feel like all that is ever played is Office and Dust2. While I thoroughly enjoy those two maps in moderation, I'm getting quite bored of them. Dust2 not as much because it's the most popular map, but Office is seriously getting boring.

Not sure what happened to the rotation, or why the voting is screwed up, but might want to get that fixed. The only map people can nominate is D2 or Office.

I'd like to play some Nuke, Inferno, Aztec, etc.
    [hlx]

Only 2 maps because anymore and CS's attention deficit disorder crowed can't handle playing an unbalanced map. Server is Dust 2/Office 24/7.

Comment

That's sad to here. I'll pop in from time to time, but these maps are getting boring.
      [hlx]

Comment

I must agree with jingles, I like everything about the server but the poor map selection will eventually drives me away...

Comment

I appreciate the feedback guys, but none of you found the server when we were playing all maps, because we were frequently empty.

You found us because we are busy now...

I'll be rotating other maps in and out, we will see how that goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
            I appreciate the feedback guys, but none of you found the server when we were playing all maps, because we were frequently empty.

I think it's safe to say that if we go back to dust2/office after a couple of days of inferno it will keep the player count high, then maybe try another map after a couple of days of only dust2/office, then back to only 2 maps, then back to 3.. then back to 2.. then back to 3, and so on

Comment

the 3 maps rotation are working out great, my 3 favorite maps.
              Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Inferno did better than Aztec, Italy, Nuke or Train.

My next fav map is Train, but it is a mixed bag.

Comment

Or, you're busy because of fellows like these, who've sadly stated boredom is setting in and about to drive them out.

Comment

I do have a possible solution, you could implement the RTV (rock the vote) system. That way if server is emptying or most of people don't like the maps the can choose to change to one of the maps that is too much played. I know there is already a voting system in game but RTV worked better.

You could at least try it, first with a 4 map selection, then 5 if all goes well and then all of them! Back when I was playing CSS there was servers with a big selection of maps and they were always full, maybe you just need to have a good base of players. The problem is that a 3 map selection you will not get player that fully enjoy the game in all it's variety to stick with this server, most will probably go away after a while.

I insist on all this because I do really enjoy your server, people are friendly even toward a French-Canadian with a crappy english such as me. The stats system is really nice and people communicate a lot, there are less solo playing than most of the other servers. I just need a better selection of map to stick with you guys and stop my endless search for my dream server

And also thanks for discussing all this with us! ... and sorry for my poor english

Comment

Gibzz, I really appreciate honest feedback from folks actually playing CS:GO with us!! I ignore comments from anyone not playing the game being discussed.

I hope to see much more of you, we like making new friends, and try very hard to run a friendly server.

History Lesson

The problem with CSGO is most of the maps are very unbalanced, and one side dominates the action most of the time. When this happens, people on the losing side leave, en-mass, and others get auto-switched to the crappy side, prompting them to leave.

I started running a CSGO server while the game was in BETA, and ran all available maps. That server did poorly, and was only populated by long time regulars and admins, who were willing to sit in an empty server, or play in a server populated mainly by bots. Very, very few people are willing to do this on a regular bases, in our community I can count on one hand those that are.

Shortly after CSGO came out of Beta the number of servers exploded, and our server went from lightly populated to empty 22+ hours of the day.

On August 31 I decided to move our server to another provider and make a big push to make our server more popular. The first step was determining which maps were the most balanced, offered the most fun gameplay, AND attracted and kept players. That process took me many, many hours, but it was easy to determine that for this game Dust2, and Office are head and shoulders above all the other maps.

As we come up on the two week anniversary of our new server, I am very pleased that we are busy approximately 16 hours per day, and have attracted many new players, and friends such as yourself.

In two weeks we have attracted 4,134 players (with +350 new players in the last 24h).....

I understand that people enjoy playing a large number of maps, but I've been running public gameservers now for almost 15 years.

It has been my experience that typically the same people who clamor for more maps are very rarely the people willing to sit in an empty server for hours, while we struggle to get it populated. This may or may not describe you, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to spend hours each day trying to get a server busy, when it is too easy to fins another server to play on.

I know from experience, not just with this game but with every other game server I have run that the best, most balanced maps attract and keep the most players. Players attract other players. Crappy, unbalanced maps are no fun and most players leave when the gameplay is unbalanced, no fun and you are constantly being slaughtered. People leave, then new players do not join, because the map stinks.

If I asked you , "is it fun to play on a map, where your team loses every single game" I suspect the answer would be "No".... If I asked is it fun to play in an empty server full of bots, I suspect the answer would also be "No"...

Unfortunately I am limited by the available maps, so I choose the best, most balanced maps, which also happen to be the most popular maps - for good reason.

I am rotating other maps through the server, but the game mode we are playing (Competitive) calls for 30 rounds, so a single map can last for two hours. Very few people play more than a couple of hours per day.

My goal is run run the most fun server possible, and that includes maps that are fair and balanced, and working VERY HARD to attract as many players as possible.

When the server stays busy I'm doing well, when it sits empty I am not....

Take care, and have fun!!

Comment

The problem with CSGO is most of the maps are very unbalanced, and one side dominates the action most of the time.
                        Definitely my view point on Office. Occasionally you can get a halfway decent game out of it. But most of the time, by the start of the second half, it is Terrorists 13, CT 2, or a similar score.

Nuke is a great map, and IMO equally balanced. It requires strategy on both sides (which as a league player, I thoroughly enjoy).

Train is also fantastic.

I also enjoy aztec.

Most of the DE maps, with the exclusion of Dust, which just seems to be horribly unbalanced in CT favor, as it always has been, are well balanced. It all boils down to team play and if the players work together.

I think the server would do just as well, if not better, with a next map voting system (rather than a forced next map) as well as rock the vote. This gives the players the chance to vote for a map they would like to play, and if some how a map that people don't seem to enjoy comes up, you can RTV.
                        [hlx]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                        Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                          by Apache Warrior
                          6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                        • Reply to 6 years
                          by Sirex
                          I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                          Just hit 2.5K miles...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                        • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                          by Sirex
                          Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                        • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                          by Sirex
                          Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                        • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                          by Sirex
                          Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                          5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                        Working...
                        X