Got to install XP already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to install XP already

Really not sure what's going on here. But for some unknown reason something is corrupting my start menu in some way. Notepad, wordpad, paint, and winamp will not open by the shortcuts. I can open WP, NP, paint via start run and i can open winamp by opening an audio file.

A/V scans, spyware scans, reg fix, system file check scan all failed to help or find anything.

Argh!

I'm wondering if i should uninstall IE7 and then peform a repair. Thoughts?

I had that issue before myself...I jus preformed every diagnostic and repair you can with Windows includidng Defrag and the issue went away

Comment

I've done everything i can think of apart from the repair. Will try one of those in a hour or so. Hopefully after some more people have viewed this thread. Namely Darth, WT.

Comment

Start -> Run -> sfc /scannow <-type in this syntax

Make sure and have your CD in the drive for this to fix anything.

Just type SFC

It stands for System File Checker and add a space plus the / (slash) scannow option.

That should correct any altered or damaged files (file corruption issues possibly?) so post back on your success or further assistance.
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Already done that WT.

Comment

BTW, deli style old skool original hoagies, for teh WINZ !!!

I'm eating lunch as I patiently await Juneau's diagnostic diagnosis (heehee, from the Department of Redundancy Department).
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Does it happen under multiple accounts ?? Create a test account and try that once.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                Does it happen under multiple accounts ?? Create a test account and try that once.
                Didn't think of that. Creating a new admin account now.

edit: rebooting.

Comment

If this is a recent, clean install, you can also try installing the MS .Net 2.0 redistributable stuff ... you'll find that under the Windows Updates as an Optional install, not a critical, but you can load that and see if it does anything.

Comment

New account didn't help. I have .Net 2.0 installed, but not the service pack to it. Maybe i should update to 3.0 while i'm doing that.

Comment

Hmmm, well you do indeed have some issues going on there. If you've run all of the standard repair utilities and nothing has changed, you may just need to drop back and punt.

Full wipe and reinstall ?

Upgrade to Vista ?

We can't rule out hardware completely ... Memtest the RAM ? Its a real shot in the dark, but there isn't much else to suggest.

Comment

Already ran memtest and it found nothing. I did install via slipstreamed XP SP2 disc. I wonder if that has caused the problems.

Vista! No Chance!

I accidently added that to your post.

edit: .Net SP didn't help. Urgh.

Comment

Well, I can attest to the fact that burned media does indeed go bad ! I had an XP Pro SP2 CD that went bad on me just two weeks ago !! That is why I always have an ISO image on one of my partitions with all of the ISOs for MS Operating Systems dating back all the way to Win ME (don't ask).

You have to at least rule out the media being the issue .. or possibly even the optical drive reading that media as well.

Comment

This install did go fine. I'm not sure at all what's happened. Seems to be a bit strange one.

Reinstall here i come.

Comment

Juneau, hurry up an fix this so I can play some Company of Heroes !

We have two parties to attend here shortly (my youngest sister turns 3) so I'll be out the door soon anyhow ...

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X