Settings for a 100 Tick Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settings for a 100 Tick Server

Following these instructions will help improve your gameplay experience with our 100 tickrate server, most importantly involving hit registry.

These instructions apply for most assuming you have a broadband connection, these settings should be optimal for you.

Open the console.
    To enable the console, hit Escape. Go to Options –> Keyboard –> Advanced. Check “Enable Developer Console”.
    To open the console, hit the backtick ( ` ) key. It’s the key with the tilde ( ~ ) on it, above Tab, next to 1.
    Type the following commands individually. Hit Enter after each command.
    cl_cmdrate 101
    cl_updaterate 101
    cl_interp 0
    cl_interp_ratio 1
    fps_max 121
    Close the console (the same way you opened it).

You may want to put the above commands in your configs, because cl_interp often gets reset when the game is reloaded. The simplest way is to put all 4 commands in a text file, one on each line. Rename the text file to autoexec.cfg and put it in your Counter-Strike: Source config directory.

An example of this location for many people is :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg

Make sure you have “Hide extensions for known file types” unchecked in Windows’ “Folder Options” –> “View” tab.

How To Know It’s Working Properly

To verify the above settings and make tweaks if necessary, do the following:

Open the console (as explained above).
    Type net_graph 3 . Hit Enter. Close the console.
    Look at the network graph at the bottom-right of your screen. If your lerp is 10.0 ms, you’ve very likely entered the correct commands as described above. If not, try again.
    Keep an eye on choke and loss in the network graph. Play a round or two, keeping a mental note of both of them. Pay special attention to encounters with enemy players, especially when you near groups of them.
    If you had any loss, at all, go back into the console and enter the command cl_interp_ratio 2 . Your loss won’t go away, but you’ll have a more ideal setting to compensate for it. If your loss is really high (consistently 2 or above or spiking to even higher numbers regularly), get a better connection.
    If you had a choke greater than about 5 at any point, or your choke is consistently higher than 0, go back into the console and enter the command cl_updaterate 90. If your choke goes down to good levels, you’re good. If not, keep lowering it (increments of 10 are good) until it does. If your choke never goes down to reasonable levels, get a better connection.
    If you want to get rid of the network graph, open the console. Type net_graph 0 and hit Enter.

Why Do This At All?

Our server runs at a 100 tickrate. This means it updates 100 times every second with new information about what’s going on in the game. Most servers run at 66 tick, as this is the default rate Valve forces Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to normally run.

Because our server runs at a higher tickrate than the default, it always has more up-to-date information to work with about who hit who, where each person is, where they were hit, etc. By using the right settings, you’ll have a much better gameplay experience because your shots will register more accurately, and the game should feel smoother in general.

Why Those Specific Settings? (Technical)

cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate

The server can process up to 100 updates per second. With a cl_cmdrate of 100, your game client will send the server 100 snapshots of information about its current situation every second. With cl_updaterate 100, the server will give your client 100 updates about the rest of the game every second. Any lower would be using less than the full potential the server and your game can use to make decisions. Any higher would be pointless, as the server can process a maximum of 100 updates a second.
    cl_interp

cl_interp sets the minimum value for your client-side linear interpolation (LERP). Setting it to 0 disables the minimum, allowing cl_interp_ratio to manage your LERP value.

cl_interp_ratio

The game calculates your client-side linear interpolation (LERP) based on the following formula: Interp_Ratio/Update_Rate. If your cl_interp value is greater than this value, it will be used instead. It uses the actual values, taking into account limits the server puts on you client, not necessarily exactly based on your cl_updaterate and cl_interp_ratio. For example, if your update rate is 100, and your interp. ratio is 1, your LERP will be 1/100, or 0.01 seconds (10ms). By default, a Counter-Strike: Global Offensive client runs at an update rate of 20 snapshots per second (assuming the server doesn’t have sv_minupdaterate set to something higher, as we do). It also has a default cl_interp of 0.1 (100ms). Since 20 snapshots per second means there is a snapshot sent to your client every 50ms in this case, a LERP of 100ms means that in addition to the current snapshot, there are always 2 extra snapshots your client keeps around to interpolate between in case it loses one. For someone with a lame connection (one that has packet loss between the client and the server, shown as “loss” in net_graph 3), this is a pretty safe setting. If you lose a packet, it won’t be too big of a deal, because your client can interpolate between the other 2 snapshots in order to show you something reasonable on your screen. This default setting corresponds to a cl_interp_ratio of 2.

If you were to run the default of cl_interp 0.1 while running with an update rate of 100, your client would be saving 10 extra snapshots instead of the default 2. This is way overkill, and if you had 10 loss (10 lost snapshots per second), you’d be pretty well screwed anyway, and LERP would be the last of your problems. If you set your cl_interp_ratio to 2, you’ll always have 2 extra snapshots (20ms LERP at 100 update rate) to work with.

Since most people don’t have loss (and if you have loss, you should probably be getting a better connection anyway), most people will have the best experience with cl_interp_ratio 1. This means you only have 1 snapshot to work with in the case 1 is lost. Since 2 snapshots are required to interpolate between in cases, this means that your client will have no interpolation delay at the expense of not being resilient in the case your connection does actually get loss.

In short, set cl_interp_ratio to 1 if you don’t have loss. Set it to 2 if you do have loss.

You can add the .txt file attached in this thread to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\cfg folder after you resave it as a .cfg file then in your config.cfg add the following line

Code:
     exec 100tick.cfg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cain; 8 Mar 2013, 11:00 PM. Reason: Added file and Instructions

I have a silly question. Let's say I do this but something is off, is there a quick way to restore defaults?
    [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

but then i won't have any excuses of why i suck if i use optimal settings!!!

Comment

Good thread, but if you have loss and choke, before covering up the symptom and ruining your game...try to fix the issue ie: check your registry setting here is a good site to test your connection TCP Tweak test | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

best program for tweaking your settings
        SpeedGuide.net :: TCP Optimizer / Downloads
        [hlx]

Comment

Steam Community :: Screenshot

ok so i am an idiot and don't know if I should tweak anything else.. take a look at the screen shot.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
            Steam Community :: Screenshot

ok so i am an idiot and don't know if I should tweak anything else.. take a look at the screen shot.
            What program is that which shows ur lerp etc?

Comment

its not a program, its a cvar net_graph 3 is what most people use
              [hlx]

Comment

I got my lerp to 9.9 too...seems to be lowest I can go

Steam Community :: Error

Comment

yes 9.8 = 100 tic
                  7.8 = 128 tic
                  [hlx]

Comment

I have looked at running a Linux server which would allow me to run at 128 Tick, but the Linux servers are crashing much more frequently than the Windows servers.

Comment

Im not a big fan of Linux based servers...100 tick is good enough for me

Comment

linux is much better then windows hands down when it comes to any type of server
                        [hlx]

Comment

I took notice when in a fire fight I was getting choke of 30-50 I was like wtf this never happened to me in 1.0-source, so I tryed your step and lowering cmd...made it worst so I did more looking and found this , sooo I came to conclusion on my own that if the server cant send to packets = your tcp window is to small, im goin to make mine the largest size dslreports tells me I should. Ill try and report back my findings

http://cstrike-game.blogspot.com/200...solutions.html
                          [hlx]

Comment

Originally posted by Synergy View Post
                            linux is much better then windows hands down when it comes to any type of server
                            Not this game.

Comment

Ok , tcpoptimizor settings on optimal for your speed does work...dont need to do any manual tweaking so its user friendly. Got 5-7 choke in heavy shoot outs.

When I was getting 30-50 was because I used another parties network tweaks (avg pc tune up) ...so ya tcp optimizer still after all these years is the best
                              [hlx]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X