Turning my PSU upside down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning my PSU upside down?

I am planning on doing some modifications to my case. While I was looking at the product linked below I noticed that the top panel shown is from the 6x series Lian Li cases (the one I use). I thought that maybe I could flip my PSU over and set it up like that. Instead of a grill I would probably put some kind of filter there.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/30...tl=g36c121s662

1. Is it OK to run a PSU upside down?

2. The fan on PSU is 140mm where the standard parts that would fit the potential hole are 120mm. Do you think this would be a big deal?

Any other thoughts would also be appreciated.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Sure it is fine to run a PSU upside down or however you want, as long as the ventillation holes inside and out are not blocked. Another thing you will have to consider is the length of the power cables and if you to flip the unit, will they reach the hardware? You will need to make sure everything will reach with plenty of slack, and no holes are covered to allow proper ventillation. If you put a filter on the unit, make sure that it allows the proper airflow in CFM that the fan runs at. If the filter restricts the airflow any whatsoever, you can look forward to a shortened fan life.

~~mike~~

Comment

the onlything i'd be concerned about is the alignment of the holes for the screws. since the dawn of time, the screw holes have been askew to prevent incorrect placement of the psu. but again, clearnace is aways an issues, and having the fan point towards the mobo/cpu helps a small bit with airflow and movemnt of the air.

Comment

The more I think about it the more I think that it would be more hassle then it's worth. I also think that if i ever replace the PSU the new hole I would make would not line up with the new one.

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

It is worth a try, though. I have seen MANY cases that will allow the psu to be flipped. Turning it sideways, however would require some moderate modifications. It really all depends on your case. You can try it and see if the holes are offset. I agree, though, that it may turn into more of a hassle than it is really worth. I am in the process of building a custom case out of a steel box for a guy who requested it. You'd be amazed at what one can do with a dremmel tool.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE
            You'd be amazed at what one can do with a dremmel tool.
            +1. lord knows how many cutting discs i buy a year. Old pc cases make for good scrap metal as well. espcially the OLD ones.

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
              Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE
              You'd be amazed at what one can do with a dremmel tool.
              +1. lord knows how many cutting discs i buy a year. Old pc cases make for good scrap metal as well. espcially the OLD ones.
              I REALLY need to go get one of these puppies

And yes, you can run your pc components in just about ANY orientation you'd like (except DVD drives.....they're less happy when upside-down )

Comment

I will be purchasing a dremel to make room for a second fan on the back and to make a hole in the side to turn my 120mm exhaust fan to a filtered intake. I think I will keep the PSU where it is.

I am #26 from getting the signal to send my MB back to EVGA. It should take about a week to get the new one so during that time I can hack away at some aluminium.

Comment

Dremel is for amatuers. I use a Foredom Flex Shaft.

Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

big drill...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior
                      Dremel is for amatuers. I use a Foredom Flex Shaft.

Apache
                      ah, but dremel=$50. Foredom TX=$2000. not everyone can be a jeweler.

Comment

ah, but dremel=$50. Foredom TX=$2000. not everyone can be a jeweler.

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                        Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I have a craftsman tool that looks like that. Flex shaft and everything. I think I paid like 100 dollars for it.

Comment

These are heavy duty and are designed for daily use. I use mine constantly every day. My oldest one is 20 years old and still doing strong.
                            Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I have a light duty craftsman dremel. However having the cutting disks break easily annoys me. If I ever do any more metal cutting I have a compressor and I think I'd go out and buy one of these

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X