Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this card dead?

As many know and i have posted a few times about this card

My saphirre 1650 pro card ran hot. It set off temp warning in ati cc. I was clocked as low as CC would go.
    At first it was beeping and was hot to the touch.

In the last 2 days the monitor just shuts off (turns from green light to yellow).
    Ive changed monitors to check if it was the monitor messing up. It wasn't!
    I went back to on board video and it works fine. No screen loss.

But there was lines a couple time in the screen. Most times it just shut the screen off. Temp didn't look bad and CC wasn't warning about it.

Is this a sign that its dying or on its last leg? I tried to run games with same res as desktop and same refresh rate thinking that might be causing a prob. But it just got worse.

Any ideas or suggestions or best guesses im open to anything.

Does it work at all? When you say the monitor turn from green to yellow is that after it is working for a while?

Is there another slot on your MB that will take that card? If so, you could try swapping it out.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Sadly, you'll have to invest some $$ in a possible fix, so its up to you.
      I'd pull the existing heatsink fan and clean the existing thermal slop off of it and start over with some fresh thermal goop. Then add something similar to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835110107

I'm not a big fan of a One-Size-Fits-All fan, so thats advise #1. Check on card compatibility first. There is an Accelero S2 fanless unit that fits your card here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186017

I have revived a 9800Pro card that was artifacting pretty badly with a nice Arctic Cooler Rev3 for only $17, so if you don't mind putting a few bucks into it, and if the RAM isn't heat damaged, it should run fine for you.
      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Seems I am having the same problems with my Sapphire x1600xt as Premonition. There was a thread on the sapphire site about these cards and they have no fix for them. It was a huge thread and for some reason they deleted it. If I would of know about this i would not have bought this card. I guess WoW didn't stress my card out at all so i never had the problem till about 4 days ago and now its happening off and on. Sometimes i can play a few rounds of CoD4 and it will be fine but most of the time it overheats to about 80C They suggest bringing the clock speed down to 300mhz but its not working out for me. Im thinking about getting something new now.

Comment

http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/forum...ead.php?t=2413

Comment

RMA it if it's still under warranty. Most cards have at least 2 years.

Comment

agreed, if it's under warranty I wouldn't put any more time into monkeying with it.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys... the card is barely a year old and i got it from newegg. So hopefully they are cool with this stuff as im sure they have seen it before.
                1 things for sure i wont be buying another card sapphire card

Comment

this is my third Sapphire card and its the first one i have had any problems with. I have had it for 15 months now so i guess i have to send it right to the manufacture. It seems the fan is failing on it. Does your fan sound nasty when you boot up?

Comment

I was under the impression Sapphire only had a 1 yr warranty on their cards ... check on that before going any further.
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

It's 2 years and it covers my fan issue
                      The thing is though this card is discontinued so I wonder what will be done about it and how long i will be without a card.

Comment

Ahhh, discontinued is usually a good thing. I know eVGA's policy is to send a better card than what you RMA'd, so I turned in a 7900GT and received a 7950GX2 (two cards in one), so I dunno what Sapphire's return policy is ... you might score a 1950Pro out of the deal if you are lucky.

Comment

Nice! Lets hope so.

Comment

to be honest hoggy... i didnt notice the noice if the fan was louder or not. I was just frustrated messing with it and i didnt even notice.
                            That would be great though if they send a upgraded card But i wont get my hopes up (no hopes, no let downs). Ill just be happy to get a new one. But i wont complain if the sent a 1950 pro either

Comment

cost 20 dollars to send the card back but hopefully it will come back a better card I looked on newegg before i sent the card back and didnt see a exact match so maybe my card was discont. as well.

Ill be sure to post if there is any issues or outcome of what i get back.

But hoggy you might wanna try taking the card out and blasting it with air. I didnt notice how much dust got trapped inside it until i took it out and blasted it. Spraying the card while its in the box is cool. But taking it out and being able to hold it upto the light really showed me how much dust i missed and what angle to blast it at.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X