PDA

View Full Version : RAID / Windows question

Duke{CLR}
24th Jan 2008, 03:46 PM
Hey guys I'm in the process of finding out how to install the Drivers for my RAID. First i found this FAQ.

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=57883

I then made this post about installing the drivers if I didn't have a floppy drive.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=232424&mpage=1&key=&#232424

This brought up the question I have for you guys. I searched for information on reinstalling my Vista upgrade without installing XP first. the guy who answered me said they were allowing this but I can't verify this. Does anybody here know the answer or where I may find it?

Also would anyone know if I can install these RAID drivers from another source?

WalkinTarget
24th Jan 2008, 03:55 PM
You'll need to install XP first to activate the product so that your Vista upgrade license is applied to a fully activated previous OS (in this case, XP).

That is the one downside to the Vista upgrade offer, and unlike XP, you can't just pop in your old OS CD as proof that you have a qualifying product.

As a workaround, you could install Vista twice using these instructions:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/clean-install-workaround-for-vista-upgrade-discovered/

Duke, welcome to the wonderful world of broken dreams and broken hardware, where we all at one time or another curse the unfortunate situation that has befallen us.

I wish you the best of luck, and feel that this bittersweet revenge for you gunning both me and Apache down using your lame-o Last Stand perk, then hitting your promotion based on that one event too ....

BOOOO ... HISSSS ....

:mutley:

Duke{CLR}
24th Jan 2008, 04:06 PM
LOL well it's going to take more the that to make up for a moment like that.

Did you get a chance to see the reply that that guy posted. He said that for the people who bought the upgrade prior to the Vista release that you could install it from to DVD but I can't seem to find that anywhere. He also put in a work around which seems like the one you linked to.

I wish I could just use XP with out buying a floppy drive. Then I could hold off on installing Vista.

CHOPS123
24th Jan 2008, 05:08 PM
I bought a usb floppy drive for that same reason

drunken_chef
24th Jan 2008, 05:15 PM
I have one that i keep in a desk drawer with a cable. in the event that i need it i take off the sidde of the case hook it up and do what i need to do. then it's back in the drawer.

I've found that if I actually install a floppy in my computer. when i need it , oh, that one time a year. it won't read a disk because so much dust goes through it.

Duke{CLR}
24th Jan 2008, 05:24 PM
So you think I can use a flash drive? I just bought a 2 GB one for 14.99 how conveeeenient. So do I need to set it to boot to that drive or will it ask me for an option to use a removable drive?

drunken_chef
24th Jan 2008, 06:14 PM
So you think I can use a flash drive? I just bought a 2 GB one for 14.99 how conveeeenient. So do I need to set it to boot to that drive or will it ask me for an option to use a removable drive?

I was going to give that a try in XP in a week or two. I have no idea if vista supports that. in this day of pen drives and no floppies you could hope that the support would be there.

Duke{CLR}
24th Jan 2008, 06:20 PM
I have just bumped my post in the EVGA forums so if I find out it works I will let you know.

I am glad I figuring out all this stuff out well before rebuild day.

WalkinTarget
24th Jan 2008, 07:00 PM
LOL well it's going to take more the that to make up for a moment like that.

Ohhh my young one ... you are just beginning down this road to nowhere .. you have no IDEA how far the journey may be !!! One day, when you least expect it, that easy lil overclock will jump up and byte (sic) you in the butt, rendering your PC but a smoldering wreck of burned silicon waferage !!

Now for that, I take no credit, but I'm just sayin' ... *knowing nod towards Duke*

CHOPS123
24th Jan 2008, 07:20 PM
DC I have had that exact same problem!!! Thats why i went with the usb floppy.
Duke i dont think xp will pull the drivers off the flash drive i tries this without any luck........Vista on the other hand is supposed to be able to do that.

drunken_chef
24th Jan 2008, 08:24 PM
DC I have had that exact same problem!!! Thats why i went with the usb floppy.
Duke i dont think xp will pull the drivers off the flash drive i tries this without any luck........Vista on the other hand is supposed to be able to do that.

thanks for the info CHOPS. that's how I thought it was.

GoatX12
28th Jan 2008, 09:09 AM
Duke I'm Currently running a Raid 5 Setup on Vista on a 680i MoBo, If you still need help with this let me know, I'll be glad to do what I can.

BTW here is my best 3dmark06 (http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&projectId=4921225) score

juneau
28th Jan 2008, 09:27 AM
Duke I'm Currently running a Raid 5 Setup on Vista on a 680i MoBo, If you still need help with this let me know, I'll be glad to do what I can.

BTW here is my best 3dmark06 (http://service.futuremark.com/orb/resultanalyzer.jsp?projectType=14&projectId=4921225) score

Link doesn't work. :( You need to use a compare URL.

GoatX12
28th Jan 2008, 10:13 AM
Ok hopefully this is the fixed 3dmark06 URL (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4921225)

Duke{CLR}
28th Jan 2008, 11:23 AM
I will need some help with that Goat. Tonight after I get home I am tearing down my rig and packing up my MB so I can overnight it to EVGA. I will have time to do the mods to my case and get ready for the reinstall so I will be int touch.

The link take me to some sign in page Ill check out the score later.

Thanks for the replies guys I am getting a bit nervous about this rebuild so its nice to know you guys have got my back. :2thumbs:

Gremlin_flg
28th Jan 2008, 02:03 PM
With Vista, you can use a USB flash to install raid drivers... You can also use nlite (nliteos.com) to slipstream the raid drivers into the OS

Did I miss something? Why are you sending the MB back to EVGA?

juneau
28th Jan 2008, 04:14 PM
With Vista, you can use a USB flash to install raid drivers... You can also use nlite (nliteos.com) to slipstream the raid drivers into the OS

Did I miss something? Why are you sending the MB back to EVGA?

Low price upgrade to a 780i motherboard.

GoatX12
30th Jan 2008, 11:44 PM
Honestly with using Win XP I would grab one of these Mitsumi floppy and Card reader (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16821104104) that way you can just make a raid floppy. Than all you have to do is remember to hit F6 when the blue setup screen comes up and than install your raid drivers.

Duke{CLR}
31st Jan 2008, 08:45 AM

Is this the same thing? I copied this from a guy who answered my post at EVGA.

I created a slipstreamed installation disk with the RAID drivers on it. I did so by doing the following:

1. Download nLite (www.nliteos.com)
2. Downloaded the latest 780i XP 32 drivers (9.46_nforce_winxp_english_whql.exe)
3. Used WinRAR to extract the contents of the .exe file to a directory (WinZIP should be able to do the same thing)
4. [Did the same thing for all the drivers for my hardware (Monitor, Video Card, Mouse, etc)]
5. Launched nLite
6. See their guide for directions - At the very least, you will need to select the options to "Integrate Drivers" and creat a Bootable ISO
7. Used nLite to integrate the RAID drives by clicking "Insert" --> "Multiple Driver Folder", selecting the folder created in step 3
8. [Make any other selections you want - you can use nLite to preset many options]
9. Used nLite to create ISO
10. Burned the ISO to a CD
11. Put the created CD into new PC and booted
12. Selected Boot from CD and let setup do its thing (no need to hit F6)

One bump in the road I hit was this: I had pre-created an unformatted NTFS partition via some utility software. When XP setup ran, I selected the partition and chose the "Format the partition using the NTFS file system" (not the "Quick" option). After setup completes the initial setup (the formatting and copying of files), it reboots. At this point I received the error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I rebooted, selecting "boot from CD". This time I selected the same partition, but selected "Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick)". Windows did the formatting and copying again and rebooted. This time it did not give the error and went into the second part of setup (the more graphical portion). I was able to successfully compete the install. Device manager shows my full 1.81 TB "NVDIA RAID5" under "Disk Drives".

Gremlin_flg
31st Jan 2008, 12:24 PM
Yes Duke :)

darth_nevus
31st Jan 2008, 12:49 PM
i reccomend slipstreaming for 2 important reasons. 1, its a backup copy of the disk. and 2, if you need to reinstall, this makes it alot easier. you can use nlite to remove alot of the bloat ware as well.

Duke{CLR}
31st Jan 2008, 12:51 PM
Can I make this disk on my laptop and use it with the new MB?

darth_nevus
31st Jan 2008, 12:59 PM
yep. the software is just pulling information you tell it to, from where you tell it to, and puts it on the disk. your not pulling it from your current installation.

Oh, and for a vista install, use "Vlite". made by the same guys, just made for vista. don't expect to slipstream the upcoming SP1 service pack to it though.

Duke{CLR}
31st Jan 2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks.