Mouse/Keyboard or controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse/Keyboard or controller?

Another noobish post...I can use the Mouse & Key Board fine for controlling most vehicles and my soldier (though I had to look up the controls in the settings to figure out how to switch betweeen SF and RF, how to go prone, and how to throw a grenade).

But for the life of me I cannot control a heli or any aircraft with the M & KB. After crashing my 3rd or 4th helicopter in match, I stopped trying to use them. But then I got the idea of using my wired xbox controller. It had been sitting on the desk and rumbling everytime there was an explosiion or I got hit, so I checked and it was active. So late last night I jumped on a 0/64 server to test some things out (including graphics settings) and it turns out I can fly a heli pretty well with a game pad. The game pad is mapped exactly the same as the BF4 xbox beta, so it was easy for me to use right away. I can control the soldier and land vehicles pretty well with a game pad too, so long as I use inverted look. the problem is I have to have Normal look if using a M & KB.

I know that M & KB should be more precise and quick for running and gunning. If I use the M & KB for soldiers and ground vehicles, but switch to the game pad for flying, I'm screwed because the options menu doesnt allow a separate v-look for two separate controller schemes (normal for M & KB and invert for game pad), only for land versus air. This means, I either have to go all in on the game pad, and use it for everything, or I have to use the M & KB for land (set to normal), and grab the game pad (set to inverted) if I'm in an aircraft.

So, my question ... what do you guys use for controlling everything and do you ever use multiple controllers within the battle depending on what your'e doing? Anyone else have the situation where you need different vertical look setups for these two controllers and how did you deal with it?

Sorry this is long winded, but I really gotta know!

PS - why is the time out timer on this forum so darn short?

um I don't time out... never had that problem.

For flying I use only keyboard. Plenty of people switch to flying with controllers.

Comment

Interesting...I have to log back in about every 10-15 minutes. Really annoying! Anyway, i will try using just game pad tonight and if i get too badly powned, I'll try the mixed controllers. thanks.

Comment

Look there are people that have been playing with close to the same physic engine for 10 yrs. You will get owned.

Comment

Originally posted by goldenfooler View Post
          Look there are people that have been playing with close to the same physic engine for 10 yrs. You will get owned.
          Agreed. Sometimes you win some, sometimes you lose some. KB and Mouse or Controller, it just won't matter.

Comment

Then the beta is the best time to work these things out, right? All stats go back to zero on 10/29!

Comment

Originally posted by Savage13 View Post
              Another noobish post...I can use the Mouse & Key Board fine for controlling most vehicles and my soldier (though I had to look up the controls in the settings to figure out how to switch betweeen SF and RF, how to go prone, and how to throw a grenade).

But for the life of me I cannot control a heli or any aircraft with the M & KB. After crashing my 3rd or 4th helicopter in match, I stopped trying to use them. But then I got the idea of using my wired xbox controller. It had been sitting on the desk and rumbling everytime there was an explosiion or I got hit, so I checked and it was active. So late last night I jumped on a 0/64 server to test some things out (including graphics settings) and it turns out I can fly a heli pretty well with a game pad. The game pad is mapped exactly the same as the BF4 xbox beta, so it was easy for me to use right away. I can control the soldier and land vehicles pretty well with a game pad too, so long as I use inverted look. the problem is I have to have Normal look if using a M & KB.

I know that M & KB should be more precise and quick for running and gunning. If I use the M & KB for soldiers and ground vehicles, but switch to the game pad for flying, I'm screwed because the options menu doesnt allow a separate v-look for two separate controller schemes (normal for M & KB and invert for game pad), only for land versus air. This means, I either have to go all in on the game pad, and use it for everything, or I have to use the M & KB for land (set to normal), and grab the game pad (set to inverted) if I'm in an aircraft.

So, my question ... what do you guys use for controlling everything and do you ever use multiple controllers within the battle depending on what your'e doing? Anyone else have the situation where you need different vertical look setups for these two controllers and how did you deal with it?

Sorry this is long winded, but I really gotta know!

PS - why is the time out timer on this forum so darn short?
              I was actually thinking of trying the xbox controller for the beta. The reason being BF has so many more used buttons than CS. For actual aiming and shooting while on foot, I adore the mouse.

Also, whenever I use a controller for any game I always invert the Y axis
              [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

I don't see how anyone can play an FPS without inverting the mouse...

I used a gamepad to fly in BF3, but it didnt work so well for me. In the BF2 days, I preferred using a joystick for flying
                [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                  I don't see how anyone can play an FPS without inverting the mouse...

I used a gamepad to fly in BF3, but it didnt work so well for me. In the BF2 days, I preferred using a joystick for flying
                  This. I have played every FPS with inverted mouse control. I can not play the other way.
                  In real life you pull your head back to look up and push it forward to look down. You push forward and pull back when moving. Inverted mouse is the natural way to control your player. In fact inverted mouse should be the norm.
                  Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                  Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                  I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                  Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I am just used to playing with the controls given. Though I don't use the mouse it becomes way tooo sensitive.

Comment

I am just used to playing with the controls given. Though I don't use the mouse it becomes way tooo sensitive.
                      I put mine down to 5%
                      [hlx]

"Why so serious"

Comment

Don't tell you use arrow keys for moving...and what do you shoot with? Enter?

@ apache you right about the inverted mouse. I've always play like that on my xbox but never actually try it with a mouse. I been so used to the fps setting and it would a challenge to try it now. Oh btw I can fly just fine with a mouse, just as Juneau
                        Tho a joystick would be great
                        Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

Originally posted by AmazingRedd View Post
                          Don't tell you use arrow keys for moving...and what do you shoot with? Enter?
                          I was referencing to aircraft for not using a mouse.

Comment

I think I use the mouse on normal because of decades using Word and Excel, where the location on your mouse pad is analogous to the location of the pointer on your screen - forward is up and Back is down. But game pads and joysticks are as Apache says, forward looking down, backward looking up (like a flight stick). I just cannot use the same conceptual scheme with both controllers, at least not without hours and hours of practice and retraining.

Comment

Originally posted by AmazingRedd View Post
                              Oh btw I can fly just fine with a mouse, just as Juneau
                              I'm retraining myself on empty servers as I currently suck. I was such a good helo pilot in BF2 lol.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X