Entertainment PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entertainment PC

Hey folks I'm looking to setup an entertainment PC. To be honest I don't really care about TV or video capture on it. What I want is something thats controlable via IR remote control and is super quiet (possible solid state). Any ideas?

Usually building your own is the best route, then you can install what you want too.....but it's been awhile for me building I'm not in the hoop of whats new anymore......been too busy with work and family issues.

I did however purchase the kids an HP Media Centre M8000n AMD 5200+ 64 Duo Core last may. I put in 4gb ram and a BFG 7950 GT OC 512 vid card.....works like a charm. When the kids play IL2 flight sim on it....she gets 147 fps( not like my built ones I get over 300-400 fps!!) I got the cable hooked up to it and it came with all the goodies.

But most people will thrash HP......I've bought cause the wife said so

Comment

Re: Entertainment PC

Originally posted by mapes
      Hey folks I'm looking to setup an entertainment PC. To be honest I don't really care about TV or video capture on it. What I want is something thats controlable via IR remote control and is super quiet (possible solid state). Any ideas?
      All kind of options.....but what's your budget and do you have any existing components to throw into the mix?

Comment

I have a new case and HDD coming tomorrow as i'm building a media PC too.

Comment

Sorry let me be more clear.

I will build it my self most likely to be an internet juke box and web browser tied into my stereo. Mostly what I'm looking for is IR remote capabilities, a quiet case and a case that is suited for an entertainment setup. As of now price is not a worry ...so let it rip.

Comment

as for a case, this one caught my eye the other day at Frys:

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5019395#detailed

Comes in black too

It can be found other places for possibly a bit cheaper, but it looks like a nice setup for a clean-looking Media PC (plus it's Zalman, so it'll probably be nearly silent with the right components )

I'd link to the detailed page on Zalman's site, but their entire site is flash-based and has no direct links to anything (which, btw, is an AWFUL design for a site). Model# is HD135. Even comes with a remote

Comment

http://www.nextdaypc.com/main/produc...inid=ND0130014

Photos

Right there. the Mozart SX. it can be a pain to manage with cables, and is picky on the mobos, but for as slim as it is, i don't see why no one else makes them this 1/2 height type unit. the vc7001sns comes with a remote too

i like thin. the bulky larger units might have more space, but this beast just blows me away. so does the price. lol.

Comment

I've decided to build mine around a small ATX midi case. The HTPC cases are stupidly priced.

Darth sort your link out. It's stretching the page.

Comment

better juneau?

I agree. and there is a real shortage of cases too. i consirered a shuttle type box, but the smaller the case, the more expensive it is. i like this one because it reminds me of a set top dvd player in size. the idea of a large gaudy box sitting in my home entertainment area drives me nuts.

Comment

That's a pretty nice HTPC case Darth, though I'm not sure how well it'd fit in with mapes's plans. The general rule is that the smaller the case, the more fans you'll need to cool it properly (small, noisier fans usually). Since mapes is looking for something ultra quiet, that case will probably end up being too loud with all the fans going (especially if he gets mid-high end components to shoehorn into it).

Yeah juneau, HTPC cases are pretty high in price, though some of them you do get more than with a normal pc case. You can shop around for a good deal or get an off-brand to save some money, but as always, you tend to get what you pay for.

And mapes, why NOT get a couple of TV capture cards? One of the best reasons to do the media PC thing is that you get total control over the Tivo-like functionality. Plus, you can usually get more tuner cards to allow you to record 3-4 shows at once, not just one

Comment

Here's my entertainment center... don't mind the wall color.. my friggin wife just HAD to have this crap..anyway... here it is, and you can see my login to America's Army game on the 61" Samsung screen

My pc, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, webserver, and other Gizmos and Gadgetry are located beneath. You can't hear ANY fans running. I don't know why the leuvers on the doors below look all bent.. must be the angle of the camera.

~~mike~~

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                        better juneau?

I agree. and there is a real shortage of cases too. i consirered a shuttle type box, but the smaller the case, the more expensive it is. i like this one because it reminds me of a set top dvd player in size. the idea of a large gaudy box sitting in my home entertainment area drives me nuts.
                        Lots better.

This is the case i bought,

Click

It just about fits an ATX motherboard.

Comment

mike, did you go with a plasma or lcd? i haven't seen any 61" panels. or is that a projection tv?

Comment

mike, did you go with a plasma or lcd? i haven't seen any 61" panels. or is that a projection tv?
                            See this article:
                            http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1664
                            and this one:
                            http://www.avrev.com/equip/samsung_hls6187w_dlp/

The others could not even come close to the resolution this thing gets.
                            It weighs about 75 lbs.

I have yet to see another TV of any sort that exceeds the quality of the picture I get on this mofo. 1080p (1920 x 1080)

Those pictures dont do any justice to the quality due to the poor lighting.

I can play COD4 in half screen PIP while watching TV on the other half as it will display two separate signals under Picture-in-Picture (PIP) mode.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE
                              See this article:
                              http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1664
                              and this one:
                              http://www.avrev.com/equip/samsung_hls6187w_dlp/

The others could not even come close to the resolution this thing gets.
                              It weighs about 75 lbs.

I have yet to see another TV of any sort that exceeds the quality of the picture I get on this mofo. 1080p (1920 x 1080)

Those pictures dont do any justice to the quality due to the poor lighting.

I can play COD4 in half screen PIP while watching TV on the other half as it will display two separate signals under Picture-in-Picture (PIP) mode.
                              i am actually looking at the Aquos LC-52D64U as a replacement pc monitor. it supports the 1080p 1920x1080 resolution via HDMI, and have heard alot about it being used as much. plasma i like for color, but due to the size constraints of my house, a rear projection tv won't cut it. i'd love to get a dlp tv. and the aquos or Bravia XBR seems to be a cut above the rest. given the choice, would you look at the Aquos, or Bravia XBR? i'd rather havean lcd as i like them better over all vs the plasma. plasma is indeed better for cinema, but this will be more ofa pc monitor

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X