New Computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer

The motherboard on my 4-year-old computer has gone bad. I'm sick of fixing this thing, and now its so outdated that I'm pretty much done with it. What should I get as an optimal gaming machine?

oh thanks the gods.... what type of budget do you have? what parts can you reuse?

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
      oh thanks the gods.... what type of budget do you have? what parts can you reuse?
      +1 We really need to know this first. And please please please don't say your a AMD fanboy.

Comment

This is good I am getting tired of drilling holes in my case for excitement. :P
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Everything in my computer other than my 2 hard drives is crap. Pretty good 4 years ago, but now it's crap.
          Right now I would consider anything from $2-$3K, I sold my old one for $500 (pretty damn good seeing that it was broken). I would prefer desktop.

Comment

$500 for a broken PC ??? Holy .....
            I was thinking of selling a WORKING one for less than that, and it STILL does a very good job. And no, it isn't a garden variety beige box:

2k pretty much buys you whatever you want .. that makes for a very nice rig once its all assembled.
            Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Nice spec there Darth. I would however make a few changes.

DVDRW dropped for a pionner one.
              Antec p182 dropped for a Silverstone TJ07.
              Drop one of the 8800GT's. I mean come on, SLI and XFire is pretty much useless. :P
              Asus MAXIMUS FORMULA. I know of a ton of people with problems with this board. Abit IP35Pro.
              Intel C2 QX9650 dropped for a Intel C2D E8400. Even the Q6600 didn't max out in Crysis.
              Seagate 7200.10 dropped for a WD 500GB AAKS. I would rather have less warranty than risk getting a drive with Seagates .10 dodgy AAK firmware. Maybe even get a Seagate .11 instead.

Save the rest of the money. Just because you have a big budget doesn't mean the extra spent is worth it.

Comment

Juneau makes some valid points, and as far as the video card, I will do you both one better and say to order the (not out yet) 9800GX2. One slot, two cards ... best of both worlds.

As far as the Abit board, that board has some horrendous vdroop issues, so if you plan on overclocking, check out a pencil mod at the least to keep things from crapping out when shooting for 4ghz from an e8400. This is assuming you want a very nice OC rather than an easy 3.6ghz with less voltage (and vdroop).

LoL .. Juneau really hates Seagate drives, doesn't he ?? I checked on my pair of NIB Seagate retail 320s and both sport the 'good' firmware, so I can't complain at least, but Seagate apparently offered to swap out the AAKs for other drives ... 'cept ... nobody wanted to send in their main drives with no backups to tide them over !!
                Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                  Juneau makes some valid points, and as far as the video card, I will do you both one better and say to order the (not out yet) 9800GX2. One slot, two cards ... best of both worlds.

As far as the Abit board, that board has some horrendous vdroop issues, so if you plan on overclocking, check out a pencil mod at the least to keep things from crapping out when shooting for 4ghz from an e8400. This is assuming you want a very nice OC rather than an easy 3.6ghz with less voltage (and vdroop).

LoL .. Juneau really hates Seagate drives, doesn't he ?? I checked on my pair of NIB Seagate retail 320s and both sport the 'good' firmware, so I can't complain at least, but Seagate apparently offered to swap out the AAKs for other drives ... 'cept ... nobody wanted to send in their main drives with no backups to tide them over !!
                  The thing that bugged me the most with Seagate is that everybody let them know that the AAK firmware was crap and an update was needed. Yet Seagate released a statement saying that the firmware was fine even though it stunted the drives performance, and that a updated firmware was out of the question.

I would have been so peeved if i had bought one of those drives.

Good point on the GX2. JKust depends how long Fate can wait till he upgrades.

Comment

I was really thinking more future proof, hence the QX, vs the E. SLI can be a waste, but come a year or to, instead of upgrading the vid card, you still have 2. dukes rig ran great forever with his 2x 6 series cards, and would still be too. but it is indeed a valid point.

What have you heard on the Formula board? i honestly hadn't seen any real quips about it that i didn't chalk up to super stupid inexperienced users, but then again, thats all that you really see. real world people make a far better difference.

With WD's QC going down the crapper, and their warrenties to boot, i find it hard, even inlight of seagate's muck up with the aaks firmware, to use them. seagates 5year warrenty makes up for it, considering i'd never use the drive for anything short of storage & backups.

DVD drives are a dime a dozen, so anyone really isn't too bad off, i'll ride the boat with you on the poineer model though.

Whats special about the tj07, though? the price tag is really up there.

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                      I was really thinking more future proof, hence the QX, vs the E. SLI can be a waste, but come a year or to, instead of upgrading the vid card, you still have 2. dukes rig ran great forever with his 2x 6 series cards, and would still be too. but it is indeed a valid point.

What have you heard on the Formula board? i honestly hadn't seen any real quips about it that i didn't chalk up to super stupid inexperienced users, but then again, thats all that you really see. real world people make a far better difference.

With WD's QC going down the crapper, and their warrenties to boot, i find it hard, even inlight of seagate's muck up with the aaks firmware, to use them. seagates 5year warrenty makes up for it, considering i'd never use the drive for anything short of storage & backups.

DVD drives are a dime a dozen, so anyone really isn't too bad off, i'll ride the boat with you on the poineer model though.

Whats special about the tj07, though? the price tag is really up there.
                      You know something i don't about the WD's?

The TJ07 is a modders dream. Huge in size, great cooling and acoustics and probably the best quality manufactured case out.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IDSkubfWaPM
                      http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=131626 (Great mod thread)

Some thing i've heard with the Formula board is cold boot issues and general instability.

I chose the poineer drive due to how quiet they are. Samsung are the quietest but they aren't very reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                        $500 for a broken PC ??? Holy .....
                        I was thinking of selling a WORKING one for less than that, and it STILL does a very good job. And no, it isn't a garden variety beige box:
                        Oh man, ditto that WT.
                        Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Hey thanks for taking the time to customize my computer. I thought I would get a few standard box suggestions, but this is great.
                          Methinks OEM products = yuck. I can reuse my hard drives, so not much problem there.
                          How does vista compare to XP gaming-wise? I've heard it has performance issues, but XP isn't perfect either.
                          I'm clueless as to graphics cards. My first Radeon overheated and fried itself, and I wasn't particularly impressed with its replacement, so switching to GEFORCE may be a good idea.
                          TJ07 - Holy crap juneau that thing is HUGE. I don't know if it would fit under my desk . Its really organized, though, which is a quality I really need as my old tower is filled with such a jumble of cords that it makes it very difficult to check on my components, especially for connection issues.
                          Abit vs. Asus? I pretty much disregarded the motherboard but seeing as its the main reason I have to get a new computer...
                          Any comments on the mushkin redline? That's probably my biggest factor IMO.

Comment

I have the asus Formula maximus and have had no problems with it. If you go with that board you going to either go with crossfire cards or just one nvidia card because it does not support SLI. I also have the Antec 900 case which is pretty sweet.....But you do have to dust it pretty often. Thats really the only con with this case.....It has a pretty nice fan setup

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X