Good review of PSUs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good review of PSUs.

I haven't had time to read the whole thing yet but it looks like a good read.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Indeed it would be .. if only there was a link to it .....
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
      Indeed it would be .. if only there was a link to it .....

Comment

LOL. Thats what I get for posting pre coffee. But now after a cup and snow blowing my driveway I am awake.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14064/12
        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I just found the same article without even checking back here, but here I was ready to provide a link, but Duke had returned to correct his error.
          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Sad to see that Ultra is back to its old tricks. A little background info here, but Ultra has let go a lot of talented employees in a cost cutting move (you can only sell so many $40 PSUs with $40 mail in rebates) before your quality takes a nosedive.
            Funny thing is, I have an Ultra PSU on my order list for a build starting next week, and I wouldn't change my mind after reading this simply because I am buying one of the older models, but keep in mind that, just like hard drives, any company has what is considered 'crap' product at some point in their existence:

1) Antec PSUs are not what they used to be .. Smartpower ?? Pshhhhh
            2) <insert hard drive name here> has had bad batches ... all of them.
            3) <insert mainboard name here from the late 90's> have bad caps and should be avoided at all costs !

Point being, do plenty of research on what you want to buy, and don't stop at one review as gospel. Also, if you've had a bad experience with a brand, its OK to offer up your opinion on a brand, but don't blanket statement criticize everything that company makes unless you have the goods to back it up.

I admit to buying my Ultra strictly for looks .. I want a PSU with silver modular cables, and for $45 shipped there is no competition. My current Ultra X-Connect powers a lot more hardware than this new one, so I have no qualms about buying Ultra, but it won't be a new model !!

Darth, I know how you love Ultra, but I gave my reasons for buying above, so hopefully you understand why I'm buying one.

Comment

It's good to see that Corsair are carrying on strong.

Comment

BAD WT!

i found that article amusing. very informative, but amusing. especially the deal with the ultra. That bugger is just another example of EVERY psu they have seemed to have made.

Corsair, atm, is my favorite brand, so it was good to see them running in the middle of the pack, Antec, on the other hand, appears to have lost touch with its psu business. stretching themselves too thin maybe?

Comment

Yea, Antec is indeed slipping far from their past build quality, and like Ultra, they are indeed both going southward, and if you don't win back support from your base of buyers by building a quality product, you will not be in business for much longer.

The only Antec I can recommend is the Earthwatts units, built by SeaSonic, which remains a big name (altho not so much in the US).

Darth, I have my reasons for the Ultra, so keep your eyes peeled for a case build worklog in the Lab starting Friday evening. I love worklog builds, and I have two kids at school helping me assemble it. I'm buying all silver/chrome parts to stuff into it, then I'll show these guys how to assemble it.

Comment

Something I've learned the hard way many times in the PC component business....

You get what you pay for.

And ULTRA PSUs are cheap....you + maths = done

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                    Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                      by Apache Warrior
                      6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                    • Reply to 6 years
                      by Sirex
                      I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                      Just hit 2.5K miles...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                    • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                      by Sirex
                      Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                    • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                      by Sirex
                      Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                    • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                      by Sirex
                      Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                      5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                    Working...
                    X