Not sure why my mouse....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure why my mouse....

I don't know what happened, but at 3:14 a.m. the night before, my vista machine did a windows update (automatically download and install updates at 3:00 a.m. blah blah was set) and every since then (not sure if the updates had anything to do with it) I can't play.

I can login to the game and during the round, my USB mouse randomly looses control for about 5-10 seconds, and then regains control...then it may not lose control for another 20 - 30 seconds but it does eventually.

I went back and restored the computer to a time before the updates and it still does the same thing. I noticed of the 4 new updates.. one included an update to my video card driver, and the other three updates were for Office, Visio...etc.. Only office related updates other than the vid driver.

I plugged in a PS2 laser mouse and rebooted and of course it doesn't move nearly as fast, but I don't think it locked up that I can recall. Has anyone else experienced this?

In device manager, the mouse shows as "HID Compliant Mouse", but it is a dell mouse, and I am going to try and see if I can find a driver for the mouse and see if that helps. I don't know what else could be causing it since I have not installed anything or changed any settings. It is very frustrating, but I have never had this problem and the mouse is brand new. I have two of these Dell Mice, and a buddy of mine was using the other one while playing on xp pro. I am gonna take that mouse and plug it into my PC and see if that mouse does the same thing.

I already went into device manager and uninstalled the "HID compliant Mouse" and of course, the mouse quit working altogether, as expected, and rebooted so it would reinstall. That didn't fix it either. If this crap doesn't get fixed, I guess I won't be playing too much anymore since I hate these cheezy PS2 3 button mice.

If anybody has any info I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance,

Your Friend,

~~mike~~

You haven't ruled out testing another USB mouse on the PC, so thats where we start from. When you can snag a Logitech MX518 from Target for under $30, thats a no brainer in my book.

I switched from an MS Explorer 3 to the Logitech, and I actually favor the MS mouse (they were so popular that they've re-issued a new version of the mouse, its exactly the same as the old one !!)

So check out that mouse .. it offers resolution changes on the fly, so its a nice feature if you switch from sniping to up close in an FPS.

If the problem persists on the new mouse, then we delete the USB controllers and let Windows reload a driver, or just perform a driver rollback, if that option is available.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I am gonna go home for lunch and see if I can swap the mouse out. I have two of them and they are really really good, but I dont' think it is the mouse, itself, but we'll find out. Here is the model I have, but this is not where I bought them... just a site I found to give an idea of what mouse I'm talkin about.

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optical-5...&s=electronics

Anyway, I'm gonna test the other one which runs fine on the XP machine it was plugged into...and played COD4 with.

Comment

This is an example of the great technical support over at dell.

12:55:15 PM System You are being transferred to an Agent. Please stand by...
        12:55:20 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
        12:55:20 PM System Connected with Puja_110993
        12:55:25 PM Puja_110993 Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support. My name is Puja and my rep ID number is 01110993. How may I assist you today?
        12:55:52 PM Mike G I have windows vista and I have an issue with a Dell optical mouse and I need to find a driver
        12:56:10 PM Mike G The mouse works with the basic windows driver that is auto detected
        12:56:17 PM Puja_110993 Thank you for the information. I?ll be glad to assist you. Please give me 2 to 3 minutes to pull up your account information.
        12:56:18 PM Mike G but I'd like to find the driver for it
        12:56:21 PM Mike G Dell RP962 / PY777 Optical 5-Button USB Mouse w/ Scroll Wheel (MOA8BO)
        12:56:25 PM Puja_110993 In the meantime, may I have your telephone number, along with the area code to update our records?
        12:56:35 PM Mike G (912) 375-7111 (Pizza Hut LOL)
        12:58:20 PM Puja_110993 Thank you for staying online.
        12:58:25 PM Puja_110993 As per my records you have Dim 8250 with WIN XP Home on it. Am I correct?
        12:58:27 PM Mike G You're welcome
        12:58:40 PM Mike G No.. I have windows vista now
        12:58:54 PM Puja_110993 Is it Dim 8250?
        12:59:00 PM Mike G but I would like to know if you have the driver download for that particular mouse
        12:59:02 PM Mike G yes
        12:59:19 PM Mike G the mouse model I am speaking of is here:
        12:59:20 PM Mike G Dell RP962 / PY777 Optical 5-Button USB Mouse w/ Scroll Wheel (MOA8BO)
        12:59:55 PM Puja_110993 I am sorry, we don't have drivers compatible with Windows Vista for this system as this system was not designed to work with Windows Vista.
        1:00:34 PM Mike G OK let me see if I get this straight. You cannot direct me to a driver download for a DELL mouse for ANY system that has Vista on it?
        1:00:54 PM Puja_110993 Mike, drivers are system specific.
        1:01:13 PM Mike G Ok.
        1:01:26 PM Puja_110993 We don't have the drivers compatible with your system for Windows vista, as the system was not designed for Windows Vista.
        1:01:48 PM Puja_110993 I apologize for the inconvenience.
        1:01:51 PM Mike G LOL! Thanks for your time.
        1:01:54 PM System The session has ended!

Nice HuH. Anyway that PC service tag is an older pc with a shot motherboard, but it was upgradable to vista even though they say it is not supported.

Regardless, I swapped the two mice and the other seems to be working fine in COD4, and the other one is working fine on the other pc now. The mouse only acted up in-game and not on desktop. Weird. I played for maybe about 5 minutes and had to run, but it didn't freeze up in that short time period.

I can't believe you can't get a darn driver from dell unless you jump through all the hoops. I probably have 15 different service tags for Dell machines, most of which are capable of running Vista, but some of them might not actually satisfy the minimum system requirements.

Comment

Open the case and get a flashlight

Could be a gremlin.
          Be sure to check for hamsters too.

Comment

I`m using this one mice without any issues.

http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/gm3200v2.htm

Comment

lol. look for the windows vista compatabile sticker. if it has it, threaten to sue as part o the class action lawsuit, and that you'll name them as a contributer to the problem. the folks over in DC have the right idea...

Comment

Originally posted by darth_nevus
                lol. look for the windows vista compatabile sticker. if it has it, threaten to sue as part o the class action lawsuit, and that you'll name them as a contributer to the problem. the folks over in DC have the right idea...
                LOL! Heck yeah.

The thing is, the pc doesn't have a sticker, but after a few minor upgrades, mainly memory, the PC would "RUN" vista. In fact, this particular machine HAS run vista.

Besides simply NOT upgrading to vista, what are users who wish to have vista supposed to do if they own a Dell? If they actually go down and purchase vista and upgrade their machine's operating system, they basically will not get any support from Dell, unless Dell has that machine specifically flagged as being vista compatible. If it isn't, then it doesn't matter if they bought a 5 year support upgrade ... they will not get any tech support for their machine. That is total bullcrap. Stating that drivers are "machine specific" is bogus. That is just Dell's technical way of trying to control your decision to do what you wish with your equipment.

Basically you don't have permission to do certain things with your computer unless you request support from Dell first, and then they have to approve it. I physically ran vista on that machine. I know it works. I don't need to ask Dell for permission to do it.

We all know that a USB mouse driver for Vista Basic will work on any system running Vista Basic. You see how dell responded

1:00:54 PM Puja_110993 Mike, drivers are system specific.
                NO HELL THEY'RE NOT... OS Specific, yes; System Specific, No! What a retard. If that were the case, then a simple modem or network card would have to ship with a truckload of disks just to install a simple driver.

It all boils down to Dell wants you to purchase a new system that is declared (BY DELL) vista ready... instead of trying to help you get a simple driver after you've done your own OS upgrade. We, the little people, are not seen as being competent enough to upgrade our own system.

Comment

lol trust me, i know. i have 6 dell pc's at home. one of them was a GX270. one of the ones dell shipped with a faulty mobo with bad caps. i sepnt god knows how long getting transfereed back and forth between the customer service dept, and the sales dept trying to get replacement mobo because it was covered by a lawsuit. the online service was a joke, so were the followup phone calls, and themail is got from them. took a month or so, and then they gave me crap for testing out the mobo by switching procs, psu, devices, cases, etc, all to track down the problem of the faulty mobo that was their fault initially.

BA seems to have better luck. lol.

Comment

LOL!

My customers frequently say something like

"Im getting rid of this old machine and just going ahead and buying a Dell or something"

After seeing the smirk on my face they usually say.. "What, you don't like Dell?"

I tell them it is fine if you want to be controlled like a little puppet, or you never plan on upgrading, and you always send the computer back to dell if you have problems.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                    Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                    widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X