THe "aircard"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THe "aircard"

I new periph you can put into a laptop or computer via a cell phone service to connect to the web instead of a hardline.

Opinons on this?

Not really new, they've been around for a while. It's basically a cellphone signal receiving card that translates the signal to a wireless signal for you. So you have the same ups and downs as with a cell signal, plus it's nowhere near as fast a broadband, no matter what the cell companies claim. And expensive as all hell, think the last I heard it was about $50/month just for the service.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

The internet server charge, as far as I know, is the same fee you have to pay to use a blackberry and such. I think one of them has closer-to-broadband speeds (sprint?) but at the end of the day it's not quite there yet for me to think about doing it.

Some day it'll be common place and I'm sure I'll get it, but right now it seems like it's still in the "early adopter" stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110
        Not really new, they've been around for a while. It's basically a cellphone signal receiving card that translates the signal to a wireless signal for you. So you have the same ups and downs as with a cell signal, plus it's nowhere near as fast a broadband, no matter what the cell companies claim. And expensive as all hell, think the last I heard it was about $50/month just for the service.
        Yea I know in Canada Toronto area.... that option has been available to us for years. Avg $$ is 45/mth and I think its 10gig BW until u charged xtra...not too sure though

Comment

It isn't worth the price. Most companies that offer if have high rates and per minute usage, and it is not very fast.... and it wouldn't benefit the company if it was fast.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE
            It isn't worth the price. Most companies that offer if have high rates and per minute usage, and it is not very fast.... and it wouldn't benefit the company if it was fast.
            My parents have dial-up, and they can't get broadband in their area...so...

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Tony
              No broadband...wow...where do they live?

Edit: I thought Dial up was like Vinyl is...long gone

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus
                No broadband...wow...where do they live?

Edit: I thought Dial up was like Vinyl is...long gone
                Far from it. There are LOTS of rural people that don't have Cable, much less live close enough to a switch to get DSL.
                A change of Pace.
                "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

A coworker of mine recently got rid of his (Sprint), it was slow as hell and didn't work in a lot of the areas where his phone did. I believe it was $60-$70 a month plus a usage fee, so he ended up paying something like $200/month. It wasn't any better than dialup, speedwise.
                  [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
                  [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Satellite internet, my friend. They won't be playing COD4 .. you can play WOW on it, but it is pretty good service, usually. WildBlue is one service, and you can get Hughesnet through dishnetwork in a package deal or with a discount if you already have satellite service. I'll have my friend get in the forums and give you a bit of info.

I think he pays either 69 or 79 dollars a month for 1.5mb satellite connection.

Comment

Satellite internet, my friend. They won't be playing COD4 .. you can play WOW on it, but it is pretty good service, usually. WildBlue is one service, and you can get Hughesnet through dishnetwork in a package deal or with a discount if you already have satellite service. I'll have my friend get in the forums and give you a bit of info.

Not worth it, imo. Satellite is fairly unreliable and many providers have pretty restrictive caps. Plus, there's a pretty large setup fee ($200-$400 depending).

Comment

Yeah, my 60+ year old parents enjoy playing video games...they thought the Atari 2600 was a waste of time, and thought I should be spending mytimte outside playing in the fresh air and sun.....

Comment

But if you've just GOT to have something faster than dialup, satellite is the only other option when you don't have cable or DSL readily available.

Comment

This area should prove interesting in the coming years as the FCC releases some spectrum and maybe just maybe we get some actual 3G cell networks operating here in the US.

Comment

We use many of these at work, Sprint and AT&T and even an Alltel card. Sprint is definitely the top of the line. The primo package runs around $75 per month for unlimited data. Speed is comparable to 1.5Mb DSL and one of my friends actually does play COD4 on his. Overall, they are a useful tool and if you get a router to put the aircard in you can run multiple PC's on it at the same time of course.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X