MS XP service pack 3 release candidate 2 available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS XP service pack 3 release candidate 2 available

OK, who wants to be our designated guinea pig ???

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Details:
    The final version of SP3 is scheduled to come out some time before the middle of this year. It's expected to bring a few major changes, including higher performance, a new Windows Product Activation model that will let users install the OS without having to enter a product key, Network Access Protection functionality back-ported from Windows Vista, and a new Microsoft Kernel Mode Cryptographic Module. The service pack will also include over a thousand patches and fixes released since SP2 came out in August 2004.

I'm tempted to try it ... I've got plenty of rigs ... what say ye ??
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

I'll have to uninstall RC1 to do it. I may give it whirl tomorrow. I have a match tonight and wouldn't want to screw my PC before.

Comment

I'll go ahead and knock it down on this customer's machine I just got done reinstalling. Got nothing to lose. He won't be picking it up until Friday, so I have time to reinstall it again if necessary.

I'm gonna jump on it right now as a matter of fact. I'll let you know how it turns out.

P.S. I have several guinnea pig machines that I use...like downloading that 26 map pack that I did earlier, and scanning it. If there's ever anything you're unsure about let me know and I'll download and check, scan, unzip, install, whatever it is you are unsure of. It's what I do. Just lemme know.

Comment

I actually have a machine with linux on it that I use for that

Comment

Originally posted by drunken_chef
          I actually have a machine with linux on it that I use for that
          Got one of those too!

It didn't do squat. The total download is only 37.1 KB... I don't see anything it did. It has an extractor that automatically extracts and opens a dos window and closes it faster than you can blink your eye. Who knows. I'm not sure if I got this right. I don't know what the hell I need to uninstall before I install it, or if I need to uninstall anything at all.

EDIT:

I found the actual download. The first one was the registry key that allows the XP machine to be accepted as a target for the SP3 RC. Here is the 336 MB download link.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Release Notes:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...1/relnotes.htm

Other downloads including SP3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/b...9-0C56CD979D05

More stuff on the RC
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7c953a761.aspx

I'll keep you posted.

Comment

This is one of those times when having an image of your XP install running as a VMware instance might be handy

Comment

I agree. I'm working on customer PCs the rest of this week, so count me out on this one. I don't have much to lose on a spare PC, but they all run so well I hate to throw a wrench in the works just because I was being a bit frisky with an RC build.
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget

I agree. I'm working on customer PCs the rest of this week, so count me out on this one. I don't have much to lose on a spare PC, but they all run so well I hate to throw a wrench in the works just because I was being a bit frisky with an RC build.
                You know there is a VMware tool that'll let you make a vmware image of your current running system. You could then install VMware and launch that instance. I forget the name of the tool

Comment

Don't install the Service Pack 3 RC.

I left the thing installing last night when I went inside, and I came out to my shop today just a minute ago, and the machine had a BSOD (blue screen of death) on it. I rebooted the machine and it is showing Service Pack 2. Evidently there was an error during the install that made it BSOD and didn't complete properly. We're gonna have to wait this one out and see what's fixed in the beta version. This version is nicknamed the 'Pre-Beta release' ...(funny, I thought that was what a Beta release was). Anyway it is not stable and I'd hate to see what happened if it actually did complete the install. I'm going to see what other beta testers are saying about this release and see what is the status on it.

I'll keep you posted.

~~mike~~

P.S. Yes VMWare is an awesome utility. You can run whichever distro of windows/ mac/ linux you wish on your current machine without the side effects (nausea, godzilla vomiting, bloody nose, aneurisms, ...etc.)

Comment

Building a dual boot rig next weekend using two 320gb drives, so I wish I could experiment with the VMWare, but I'd just as soon install XP and Vista and call it a done deal.
                    The CPU doesn't support VM, so no go on that route even if I felt up to it. At $50, I can't complain about the e2180, as I'm shooting for 3+ ghz out of a 2 ghz chip.

Geez, poor MS, now they've pulled one of the Vista SP1 prerequisite patches as well ... DOH !!!

Comment

Actually, I tried to install it using the FULL 320 MB download, and it blue screened while I was inside, but once you run that first link, it adds a registry key that makes your computer "Seen" by microsoft as a SP3 Candidate via windows updates. Even though the manual download didn't work for whatever reason, the windows update downloaded and prompted for "updates are ready" and I gambled on it and it installed. The PC is working actually better than it did. I have played with it a little bit, and it seems to be fine. I haven't noticed a real big difference other than it runs a little smoother, like a long overdue oil change.

Comment

Hey, that sounds like a perseverance patch if I've ever done one !! Nice work on the manual patch as well, Mike.

Comment

Yes. The machine DEFINITELY runs a lot better than it did before this patch. Programs open about 20% quicker, close without waiting, and the browser seems to be about 10% faster.

Before this update it took about 25 seconds to open internet explorer, whereas now it takes less than 10. This is a basic windows xp media center install, however. I wouldn't guarantee how this is going to work for those who have those screwy installs, or dual boot systems. The machine is a lot more stable and I have put it through rigorous tests and overall I'd say the performance has increased about 20% give or take. If you have an extra machine I would suggest trying it on your lesser important machine and see how you like it.

Click on the first link in this forum thread, and run that registry executable, then let windows update itself.. don't try to force the manual install. I think you'll be satisfied.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for Microsoft VISTA service pack 1 install ratings and notes.

Your Friend,

~~mike~~

P.S. - It wasn't perseverance, instead it was the fact that once you run that first proggie that patches the registry for preparation, and I forgot to back up the registry before-hand, so it was gonna just keep prompting me that "Updates are ready to be installed" since I couldn't change the registry back. LOL.

Comment

AND!!!!!!

AND!!!!!

AAAAANNNNNNDDDDDD!!!!!

I'm sure you all have seen, know someone who has, or maybe even have one yourself (pirated copy of XP), but the MANUAL DOWNLOAD worked ..... on a pirated copy of windows XP (devil's own) and it is fully functional. Everything in the system properties looks exactly the same, with the exception of:

Service Pack 3, v.3264 (instead of v.3311)

Comment

I'm guessing they haven't entered the final pieces of the RTM code which would flag the eyepatched XP installs out there.

Altho lately, MS had recently begun relaxing the stipulations on the critical patches, ditching the formerly forced install of WGA before downloading the sought after security update/service pack.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out, with WGA being such a disaster, but MS clearly needs to protect their investment in the OS itself.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X