heatsink thermal paste?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heatsink thermal paste?

one of the RAM heatsinks that came with my VGA cooler (accelero S1 vga, with the optional fan) fell off the card , and is running without. I'd like to put it back on, but is it fine to use thermal paste on it? or a specific glue is required?

Yes use Arctic Silver...you will get the best results...make sure you use a nice quantity

Comment

ok, thanks , ill probably order some soon!

Comment

Some thermal tape is more than adequate for RAM chips as they don't generate a lot of heat. That's how they're attached in the first place.

@ Zantheus : A nice quantity? Do mean you mean a lot, or not much?

Comment

Whenever I out any kind of thermal compound on I go to the website to try and find directions for applying it. I would be careful that you don't get any into the ram slot it self.
          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
            I mean a respectable ammount lol...not too much that it gets in places you dont want it to be but @ the same time u need to make sure you have enough so it does it's job

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus
              I mean a respectable ammount lol...not too much that it gets in places you dont want it to be but @ the same time u need to make sure you have enough so it does it's job
              I always use the smallest ammount possible. Just so it creates a wafer thing coating over the chip. Too much will drop it's performance.

Comment

Some thermal tape is more than adequate for RAM chips as they don't generate a lot of heat. That's how they're attached in the first place.

I would use thermal TAPE in this instance. You don't have to worry about brackets or clamps to hold the heatsink on. Thermal paste will allow the heatsink to come off really easy and it will, whereas thermal tape will make it stay on.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE

I would use thermal TAPE in this instance. You don't have to worry about brackets or clamps to hold the heatsink on. Thermal paste will allow the heatsink to come off really easy and it will, whereas thermal tape will make it stay on.
                  That's why i stated tape in my first post. Just pointing out the proper application of thermal paste.

Comment

yea tape works too...I prefer paste though...taking the xtra time with clamps and stuff does not bother me...it all comes down to personal preference

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus
                      yea tape works too...I prefer paste though...taking the xtra time with clamps and stuff does not bother me...it all comes down to personal preference
                      in a normal ATX case the memory on the video card points down. the normal TIM won't cut it. thermal tape or epoxy is the only way to go.

Comment

That's why i stated tape in my first post. Just pointing out the proper application of thermal paste.
                        Yep. I was agreeing with your statement.

Comment

Yep. I was agreeing with your statement.
                          *smacks forehead*

Should have noticed that.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X