Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More problems..

When will they end?
    Ok, so my uncle got a new computer. I am trying to install a new HDD into it. I had to put it under the CD drive.

As you can see, the disc drive, and the new HDD are not present.
    Here is they way the IDE cables are set up:

The cd drive and the new HDD are on the same cable. HDD is in the master position, CD is in the slave. What we are looking at right now is the CD drive, and what my finger is on is the HDD, I am pointing at the IDE slot on it. I looked in the HDD manual, and found this about the jumper settings:

I know we cant really read that, but we dont really have to. The bottom left one shows the setting for "Dual (Master)", I am assuming that is the jumper setting I need, since there are two devices on the cable, and the HDD is in the master slot. I changed the jumper to this setting, but still no luck with either the HDD or the CD drive. Anyone know whats up? It is probably something simple that I forgot. The HDD is brand new, out of the box, so it is most likely not dead. I probably just screwed up the cables or something since neither it or the CD drive is working.

Let me make sure you are doing thhis correctly...you should have the old HD jumpered as Dual-master, and the new one as dual-slave. If you do, let us know, if not, that should be your issue.

Comment

If there are two devices on the ribbon, you need to set the one on the END of the ribbon to master, and the one in the middle of the ribbon to slave. You can use Cable Select on the master or the slave depending on how your pc is setup. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt'... It is usually better to set one as master and one is slave.

Comment

Originally posted by -IRC-MIKE
        If there are two devices on the ribbon, you need to set the one on the END of the ribbon to master, and the one in the middle of the ribbon to slave. You can use Cable Select on the master or the slave depending on how your pc is setup. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt'... It is usually better to set one as master and one is slave.
        +1

I've only ever had CS work on really old drives. I think they removed the function a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisElfRocksHard
          Let me make sure you are doing thhis correctly...you should have the old HD jumpered as Dual-master, and the new one as dual-slave. If you do, let us know, if not, that should be your issue.
          No, it is much different from that. The old HDD, we will refer to as main, since it has windows on it, is on its own cable. It shares an IDE cable with nothing. So what you are saying is that the CD drive should be on its own, and the two HDD, main and new, should be on one IDE cable? And main as master, and new as slave?
          I will try that and get back to you guys.
          And thanks a lot for the quick replies. That was amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralSnake
            So what you are saying is that the CD drive should be on its own, and the two HDD, main and new, should be on one IDE cable? And main as master, and new as slave?
            Most definitely--I have never had any luck having an hdd and an optical drive on the same cable.

Originally posted by GeneralSnake
            And thanks a lot for the quick replies. That was amazing.
            I have a project for work to finish, so I am checking the forums every .2 seconds looking for a new post. :P

Comment

Ok. When I attached the new and main to the same cable, new as slave, main as master, windows didnt start. So the main HDD was being seen.
              It is working now because I dont have the new HDD plugged in. But the CD drive works now.
              Could this be a problem with the jumpers on the main HDD?

Comment

If you are plugging the new HD in on the same ribbon as the CDRom, the cdrom has to be plugged in on the end of the cable, of course, and set as Master w/ slave present. This is a setting on SOME drives. Then you'd plug the new hd in on the middle connector as SLAVE.

In this case, I would unplug everything except the CDROM drive and then plug the NEW HD in on the primary ribbon. After that I'd boot up the machine and enter the bios and make sure that the bios is seeing the new HD.

Also make sure that you didn't swap the ribbons accidentally. Make sure that the primary ribbon is plugged into the Hard Drive, and the secondary is plugged into the CDRom.

Comment

Unless you are using Cable Select, it doesn't matter which connector you use on the cable as long as you are setting the jumpers correctly. You have three drives, so there are a few different combos. Here is the easiest in my opinion:
                  Primary IDE Channel:
                  1. Main HDD with Windows. Set jumper to single drive if that is an option. Otherwise set it to Master.

Secondary IDE Channel:
                  1. New HDD. Set jumper to Dual Master
                  2. DVDROM. Set jumper to Slave.

Go into setup and make sure the Primary Master HDD is set as the first HDD in the boot menu.
                  [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

yea make sure u change r boot sequence and once you are able to get ur computer booted into windows...u need to activate ur new HDD in windows so it is formatted and then you will be able to see it in ur Computer window with your other drives

To activate should be Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Managment>Disk Management

Comment

Start->Run->Compmgmt.msc

Then open up Disk Management from there and make sure each drive is set with its correct drive letter.
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                        Start->Run->Compmgmt.msc

Then open up Disk Management from there and make sure each drive is set with its correct drive letter.
                        Lol yea thats easier...Im a Vista guy so forgot how easiest way in XP was

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus
                          Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                          Start->Run->Compmgmt.msc

Lol yea thats easier...Im a Vista guy so forgot how easiest way in XP was
                          I can beat that. right click my computer. select manage.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X