Key Binding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key Binding

Have you tried setting it to default again? Have you tried using the escape key to make every thing but common controls completely blank, both primary and secondary binds? For instance if you trying to bind "E" in common controls and it says it's being used in "land vehicle", and it's not, go into land vehicle and highlight every key assignment and hit escape, this will make it go blank. Then see if you can bind the "E" key in common controls.

You can also manually edit your controls via the control.con file. Although I've heard stories of this being successful and not at times.

Also there could be fix for BF2 seeing duplicate keys when there are none, so I'd hold off on a complete reinstallation. It could as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling your mouse and keyboard, that's worth a shot and easier then installing the whole series. Have your rebooted? You probably have, but you'd be surprised how many people don't.

I don't know why BF2 is seeing duplicate keys where none exist. There are some keys that cannot be duplicated from common to other vehicles. It's all sort of weird and funky and it's been so long since I've been through the headache I can't really remember.

There's something weird about left shift, it has something to do with when the developers were making BF2, you might not be able to bind left shift to any action other then a single one in common controls.

List of keys that cannot be bound or have problems EA Tech Help (notice here that mouse axis is one of the problem binds)

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg...i=&p_topview=1

It is possible that you unknowingly and by no fault of your own caused BF2 to get all funky by trying to bind two assignments known to cause problems (LeftShift and Mouse axis). I'm not blaming you, there's no way you could have know, just dumb luck and poor dice programming.

But once you get through all the bullshit again (yes you can swear here) , you can save your key assignments. Trust me you should do so, because BF2 is a superior game to 2142 and actually has more binding options (one of my beefs w/2142). If you like 2142 your going to love BF2.

To save your key assignments,

Go to (default installation location): C:\Documents and Settings\(user name or whatever)\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles

In that folder there will be another set of folders 0001-00004 and default. Each of these folders contains the accounts you've made (or not made). As you open one of these folders look at the Profile.con file (should open in notepad), it will contain your user name and the Email you used to activate it. Find the correct profile folder by looking at these profile.con files. Once you've found the one your working on binding keys for, the controls.con file is your keybinds. Right click it, copy, and paste it in a folder of your choosing/creation (BF2 backups or something). Do it after you've bound a lot of keys or made a change.

This controls.con file is the one you can manually edit. But .con files or any type of .ini file in gaming can get twitchy if you modify it incorrectly.

The other files in that folder pertain to what they are named. Audio.con are your audio settings, video.con are your video settings, and so on and so on. You can save those also, but they're not nearly as hard as duplicating all your key assignments.

I lost a my key assignments after installing a mod, and that was after nearly 2 years of play and refining them. I don't use any default locations so it was a huge ball breaker. I know what your going through.

Good Luck.

This is very helpful.

Can someone post an example of their keybinds here?
    I'm curious about changes I may want to make.

Comment

I feel your pain cain. I learned the hard way when I played BF2 before, so I keep a backup.
      I had to edit my controls.con directly, because I use my mousewheel to switch to rifle (up) and pistol (down).
      [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
      Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
        by Apache Warrior
        6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
      • Reply to 6 years
        by Sirex
        I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
        Just hit 2.5K miles...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
      • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
        by Sirex
        Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
      • Reply to Hell Let Loose
        by Sirex
        Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
      • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
        by Sirex
        Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
        5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
      Working...
      X