Question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question?

I was playing SF this morning and was doing well until the server started too get more players joining I began too lag real bad. It would stop for a period of time and start going again and repeated often. I know Trimar was having the same problem and was wondering if anyone else had the same problem? What does cause this?

1 Gaming server
    2 My internet connection
    3 My computer hardware
    4 The game in general

Could be a mix of everything...the more players on the server the more data flow that is comming in and out to synch everything

Comment

Its probably your Hardware or Network connection as Zan said, the more players the more data that has to be xfered and processed. A more common issue though is if your using a BT client or other p2p app or someone else on your network is. They tend to hog bandwidth which really becomes noticeable with more players.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye426 View Post
        Its probably your Hardware or Network connection as Zan said, the more players the more data that has to be xfered and processed. A more common issue though is if your using a BT client or other p2p app or someone else on your network is. They tend to hog bandwidth which really becomes noticeable with more players.
        Thanks for the reply. Is there any way I can correct this with new hardware, etc. I will be having a new gaming computer built and if I need so if there is any suggestions on this topic I will take all I can get.

Comment

How much RAM do you have? BF2 will lag unless you have at least 2 gigs.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

2 Gigs of very fast RAM and a fast HD really help this game, but mostly the 2 gigs of fast RAM...

Comment

I have 1024mb of RAM this may be my problem? HD has 120gigs of space but down too 111gig. I guess I will call my computer guy and buy more ram from him as I think it is still cheap right now.

Comment

I would go with 2gigs (2048 mb I think) at a minimum. Keep in mind not just the games of today (or with BF2, a few years ago) but the games in the near future.

Are you running Windows XP or Windows Vista?
                [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

Originally posted by BigTwinky View Post
                  I would go with 2gigs (2048 mb I think) at a minimum. Keep in mind not just the games of today (or with BF2, a few years ago) but the games in the near future.

Are you running Windows XP or Windows Vista?

I am running XP and since I like XP I plan too stay with it. My Computer guy told me that customers that had bought Vista and had it installed on their computers are having trouble with it so Vista has been a nightmare for him.

I am having a new gaming computer on the drawing board and I just got of the telephone with him about getting one done so he is cheaking on the stuff as we speak. He told me I can run 3gigs on my computer that he built with no problem so I will have that much added and my daughter will get the current gaming computer we are using now. I hope too have the new one in my home sometime in April.

Comment

With xp, 2gigs would be fine for both you and your daughter. But if you are going with 3 gigs in your new gaming rig, thats all the better
                    [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                    So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

I am not sure on this but I think if you run 3Gb you will loose the dual channel ability which may slow it down. You may want to ask one of the more experienced builders just to be sure.
                      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I believe you are correct, Duke.

Also 2GB is all that XP can effectively manage. It is all any application can address. XP may be able to address more than 2GB, but it doesn't use it very effectively. 2GB is the sweet-spot for XP.
                        A change of Pace.
                        "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Shoot I may have miss understood him. It might have been 2gig

Comment

I read Darth's post about the 3 Gb on his laptop and he says it's running fast so it may not be that big of a deal.
                            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

SF requires more processing power than vanilla...or so I've heard.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X