Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TF2 crash ... a higher power doesn't like me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TF2 crash ... a higher power doesn't like me.

Was playing tonight and had just begun a game of Granary when I completely lagged right out of the game. Screen stopped moving, audio was stuck in a loop and when I next moved about 40 seconds later the ingame timer had ticked off over 4 minutes of actual time !! I dropped out to the desktop and found this lovely error message:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding.

I considered it a fluke and saw that a spot on the Lair was finally open, so I then jumped on there. Within 40 seconds of gameplay the same damn thing happened, so I had to dump out of the game and restart the PC. I found there were no Steam updates so I picked up an Nvidia driver update, using a beta this time (163.75) but back on the Lair, the game crapped out about a minute or two in ...

This .. just blows my mind that I could have no issues whatsoever, and now I'm reduced to sitting on the sidelines watching this game pass me by. I am sooo mad right now I could break something ... maybe my worthless headset since it doesn't work anyhow ...
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Tried the following, no luck at all so far:

1) Registry hack - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\GraphicsDrivers\DCI
    TdrDdiDelay Reg_Dword 0x00000014(20)
    TdrDelay Reg_Dword 0x00000014(20)

2) System Restore - went back 2 days before a lot of Windows Updates were applied.

3) Nvidia driver rollback - 163.69

4) I also had changed the resolution, but I've reset that back and still a crash anywhere from 20 seconds to 1:30 into the game.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

I am getting pretty frequent crashes as well with a black screen and looping audio. I can usually get 3 or 4 rounds in before it happens, unless I attempt to change servers, in which case it happens immediately. I had no problems whatsoever with the beta, either.

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
      [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

I wish I could be of more help, but I've know idea what to suggest.

My drivers are quite old...I honestly can't remember the last time I updated them.

For you headset, WalkinTarget...does it work with other applications? I've heard that USB headsets don't work with TF2; they need to plug directly in to your sound card to be capable with TF2.

If it continues, it wouldn't hurt to send Steam a support ticket. They may take 2-3 days to reply, and someone may fix your problem here beforehand, but they may have a few suggestions. Hope the nasty screens of death disappear soon.

Comment

I had problems as well and I tried re-installing etc. Nothing fixed until I updated my videos drivers. Might be worth a shot. It worked for me.

Comment

FIXED !!!

Removed ANY and ALL Nvidia drivers (I had four of them in the NVidia folder), restarted Windows and then loaded the 163.69 version. After yet another reboot, its ben fine for 1.5 hours of gaming.

I know standard operating procedure is to uninstall/reinstall, I have NEVER done that before ... I always dump it right on top ... thank God I got it working .. I panic when stuff breaks on me after being bulletproof for months ... oh well, back to your regularly scheduled programming ..

Comment

Tails, the headset works in speech recognition just fine .. I've run thru the training of that, but I'm primarily using my front jacks for that and I also tried the rear jacks right into the onboard sound, but no go. Next step is to buy another set of headphones (dunno why, but I can't test much of anything else).

Comment

W00T! Glad to hear you've got it working, WalkinTarget!

Comment

Here's what trips my trigger .. up until that point that it started crashing, nothing was changed on the PC. MS 'Patch Tuesday' added a whole slew of updates, but none of them seemed to be related in any way to the video driver.
                  Nonetheless, something went south in a hurry and luckily I have it corrected.

Comment

The saga continues !!! I played for 2 hours last night with no issues whatsover. Just went to join a server today and didn't even get INTO the game (it crashed at the player selection screen).

Same 'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding' message.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                      The saga continues !!! I played for 2 hours last night with no issues whatsover. Just went to join a server today and didn't even get INTO the game (it crashed at the player selection screen).

Same 'Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding' message.
                      They just put out an update/patch, did steam install it when you went to boot up TF2?

Comment

Yep, it was a quick one, but this issue goes a LOT deeper than I anticipated. A Google search has turned up literally dozens of pages of guys in the same boat as me with no clear, definitive fix for ANY of them at this point.

Everything from turning off UAC, to removing one of your two sticks of RAM, to manually removing and adding the nvlddmkm file ... its just turned into this huge monster of a bug that I can't solve.

Latest attempt:
                        Removing Nvidia drivers from Safe Mode, then rebooting and adding the 163.69 drivers. That worked last night, but here we are 24 hours later and its still borked. I'm adding Driver Cleaner to the process to make sure all Nvidia crap is removed.

Comment

Too bad you're not able to play. I joined Tails, and we hung out for awhile. After about half an hour, the place was rocking. And I had by far my best round, playing Heavy in B on Granary. At one point I had three guys dominated, and was just mowing them down. Took a spy to take me out, even though at one point I was the only guy there and was freaking out waiting for my very good medic help to show up.

-Rand
                          [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                          Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}
                            Too bad you're not able to play. I joined Tails, and we hung out for awhile. After about half an hour, the place was rocking. And I had by far my best round, playing Heavy in B on Granary. At one point I had three guys dominated, and was just mowing them down. Took a spy to take me out, even though at one point I was the only guy there and was freaking out waiting for my very good medic help to show up.

-Rand
                            Very fun rounds! I went Engineer a majority of the time, and half of the time, our team was pushing so offensively, I couldn't keep a useful teleporter up!! I kept having to re-build the entrances to our new spawn locations, and pushing the exits up! In one round, I had either 21 or 22 uses on the teleporter.

When there were too many Engys, I played Medic. It's a very fun class, and Rand, you are like a Medic's fullest dreams personified. Whether you knew it or not (I'm sure you did ) you were allowing me to heal you while staying completely free of harm. Healing from around corners, behind boxes, and the such is a God-send as a Medic. I was grinning as much as you were when you were dominating those three guys.

A lot of regulars were spreading the good word about Cain's Lair, so maybe we'll be seeing more guys coming back soon! Best of luck getting TF2 functional again, WT. I don't really understand why it worked fine yesterday, though, and isn't now.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                              Yep, it was a quick one, but this issue goes a LOT deeper than I anticipated. A Google search has turned up literally dozens of pages of guys in the same boat as me with no clear, definitive fix for ANY of them at this point.
                              I hate to hear that you're having this much trouble out of this, WalkinTarget. This may not be of much help, but, have you submitted a support ticket to Steam? I'm not too confident that they'd be able to fix it right away, but if they don't know anything about it, then they can't really address it.

Although an insta-fix would be great, getting the information to them would at least make it possible for them to look into and possibly get a fix out for it... Hopefully some time soon!

Best of luck in getting this fixed!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X