Widescreen Monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widescreen Monitor

O.k. who has one, and how does UT3 scale on it???? Thinking about getting one.

MD

I'm playing at 1680x1050 and it looks gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
      I'm playing at 1680x1050 and it looks gorgeous.
      Me too.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

o.k. 2nd question. :P What size is your monitors. I have a 7950gt and don't want to overextend it. I currently have a 19" standard dell LCD.

MD

Comment

Originally posted by MajorDeath
          o.k. 2nd question. :P What size is your monitors. I have a 7950gt and don't want to overextend it. I currently have a 19" standard dell LCD.

MD
          You might want to consider a 19" then. running at 1440X900, you don't quite get the same real estate as the larger ones, but its close and you'll have an easier time running everything.

If you are used to a 19", I'd say don't go any smaller. Otherwise, if you don't mind turning a few things down, you could probably go with a 20"+ monitor (1680X1050). YMMV of course, but 19" is what I chose, because I know this 8800 GTS of mine will be able to run everything at native res for quite a while (plus my desk is small and the 20" screens were JUST a little too big :P )

Comment

I'm running a 20". I was thinking of going for 19" myself yet i was told that 19" monitors look a lot smaller than there standard ratio counterparts.

If you do go for a 19" WS it'll be easier on your card than a monitor at 1280x1024.

Comment

I have a 22" LG wide-screen. No dead pixels or ghosting and I love it.

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                I'm running a 20". I was thinking of going for 19" myself yet i was told that 19" monitors look a lot smaller than there standard ratio counterparts.

If you do go for a 19" WS it'll be easier on your card than a monitor at 1280x1024.
                Size comparison is a bit subjective. If you absolutely need that vertical height, opt for the bigger monitor. Honestly I don't miss it with my 19", and I'm able to run everything on high with all the eye candy turned up (except maybe Crysis ).

If you want more performance, go 19"
                If you want more 2D real estate, go 20"+

19" WS - 1440X 900=1296000 pixels to push <----fewest pixels, best performance
                19" 5:4 - 1280X1024= 1310720 pixels to push
                20-21" WS - 1680X1050=1764000 pixels to push

As for brands, LG, Viewsonic and Samsung are pretty good choices. Hanns-G also makes a pretty slick LCD (I think they source Samsung panels), and they are often much less through places like Newegg than comparable LCDs from the major "manufacturers" (quotes because very few companies actually make the panels themselves).

Comment

I run a Dell 2405 on a 8800 gtx and its a dream. I ran a 7950 gt previously and it did ok on it as well, though 1920x1200 did tax that card but still very playable.
                  24" to me is perfect, but the price jump from a 22" to 24" is signifigant enough to say a 22" should do the job just fine.

Comment

My Dell24" looks great at 1920 x 1200

Comment

1400x900 for me.

Comment

I'm running 1680x1050 on a 22". Looks and plays very nice. I use VSync as well since its capped at 60 fps. Major improvement without texture tearing.

Comment

I run dual 1680x1050 and my once top notch 7800gtx can't do any better then 20fps with all the eye-candy turned on. Of course perhaps I should disable the second monitor. ya think?!? lol

Until I can afford an 8800 (or something similar), I am running 1024x768 with world details and texture set to 1. And you know what? It still looks very good!

Epic did some really cool stuff with the graphics!
                          [url=http://profile.xfire.com/nomadicus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/nomadicus.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                          Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                            by Apache Warrior
                            6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                          • Reply to 6 years
                            by Sirex
                            I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                            Just hit 2.5K miles...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                          • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                            by Sirex
                            Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                          • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                            by Sirex
                            Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                          • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                            by Sirex
                            Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                          Working...
                          X