UT3 Crashing to high heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 Crashing to high heaven

I can barely get past the login menu....and the game crashes...

hmmm

Plus, when I do get to play, it lets me know I need a new video card
    [IMG]http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r43/ryanbatc/radarsig1-1.jpg[/IMG]

What card do you own ?

Comment

that might be it. The older the video card the graphics really degrade and the textures might be causing a error that crashes you. On my sons pc i was getting bad artifacts and missing textures and the game looked like doom 1. All because of the video card.

Is your video card drivers upto date? That might help with crashs, but probably wont effect how the game runs.

Comment

Also, what OS are you running?

Comment

What's it say in the log file? It's in My Documents->My Games->UT3tourneydemo->UTGame->Logs

Also, have you installed latest video drivers? if u have amd dualcore, did u install latest cpu driver fix? Are you running AVG antivirus? These are all known issues with the demo.

Comment

wow, informative replies....

|XP Pro SP2|Foxconn SLI 590 MCP|AMD 6000+|XFX 6800XT 256MB|Creative X-Fi|2x1 GB Corsair XMS2|
            |36GB Raptor|250GB WD Caviar|250GB External Seagate (bit the dust)|Thermaltake Tsunami Dream|OCZ Modstream 520W|

yes, AVG free version, and yes, latest drivers, and no, no AMD cpu patch. Does the patch do anything?

Thanks guys...

Comment

Mine only crashes if I try to change the vid card settings from 800x600. Plays very smooth at the lowest settings and smallest resolution, though, so I guess I can't complain.

Comment

I have a feeling like that powersupply isn't strong though for your box. Just a hunch but 520w or so doesn't seem powerful enough for a 8800gtx. Those things suck down power I think. At least when they actually start to use some of their muscle.
                [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR}seikoAF
                  I have a feeling like that powersupply isn't strong though for your box. Just a hunch but 520w or so doesn't seem powerful enough for a 8800gtx. Those things suck down power I think. At least when they actually start to use some of their muscle.
                  their using a 6800, not 8800, the powersupply while sometimes could be the issue for this one I believe theres other things to look @ first.

First, disable or at least for testing purposes disable AVG (and any other virus/firewall programs).
                  edit/update: After searching online I found this in the epic forums
                  "i was getting a kernel error someone suggested updating gfx card drivers, which i did... then got BSoD lol ... although i have noticed alot of ppl having problems if they have AVG install , once they uninstall it is ok"

someone elses reply:
                  "I was running AVG anti virus, I uninstalled it, and UT3 runs perfect now. Was a conflicting driver issue. Seems there are more then just the one anti virus affecting it, so thats worth a shot. Somewhere you are having a conflicting driver issue, just have to figure out where. More then likely anti virus, or something that fires up at run time and runs in the back ground."
                  There is a really good chance that, that is your issue. (remember though, this is a beta demo so conflicts do happen, so dont think about jumping your avg ship yet, wait til the shipped/patched version comes out to make verdict)...

Second and again for testing purposes restart computer and end all processes except for needed system processes ie svchost.exe, services.exe, system, etc. etc.

Third, start > run > type dxdiag and let us know what version of DirectX your using, I believe there is 3 versions of (c) alone
                  Fourth (and Im just trying to be thorough), disable "Fast Write" on your card, make sure your AGP Aperture size is the same as your card (256mb) *not sure if you have agp or pci-express so it may not be an option in your bios*

Most importantly I would like to note that I personally have seen this problem with my friends Nvidia 6800 series card, I havent had a chance to "try" the above steps yet to see if it will fix it. Also I believe another person here was having some issues with their 6800 card and cfg change was all that was needed (checking)....

Originally posted by drunken_chef
                  i found another tweak that helped out my 7950 GT

this helps hitches on Nvidia 6 and 7 series cards :

[Engine.ISVHacks]
                  UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=False.

Change that line to

UseMinimalNVIDIADriverShaderOptimization=True
                  Well, not 6800 but try to insert that code and see if that helps any.
                  and plz update us if any of these fixes the issue for you so we can spread the word (theres alot of 6800 users out there)...

I hope that helps you some ryanbatc...

Comment

Uninstall AVG for a fix...

Update:
                    I went to my friends house and uninstalled AVG...
                    Low and Behold, UT OPens and doesnt crash.

Comment

cool beans

Comment

Re: Uninstall AVG for a fix...

Originally posted by eminent
                        Update:
                        I went to my friends house and uninstalled AVG...
                        Low and Behold, UT OPens and doesnt crash.
                        yeah but you don't have to uninstall it....just close it out for the time you play it....I lke AVG, it's free I'm not gonna delete system software for game software... try and install it, and just close it out of your system tray while you play

Comment

Issue Resolved

yeah I figured as much, but I like to take the biggest measure possible, then see the fix and at that point find an alternative. So that fixed your issue, cause it def. wasn't sounding like a power supply problem. Anyways, cya in the server.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                          Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                          widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X