Hints and Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hints and Tips

Please post any Hints and Tips. I've never played a UT game and am finding it pretty frustrating at times because I have no idea what weapons are great and which ones suck. Or how any of the special abilities work. So for US UT3 noobs, post some good tips.

Thanks guys.
    Pigworthy
    I'm here to kill friends. Do you want to be my friend?

Re: Hints and Tips

Originally posted by pigworthy
    Please post any Hints and Tips. I've never played a UT game and am finding it pretty frustrating at times because I have no idea what weapons are great and which ones suck. Or how any of the special abilities work. So for US UT3 noobs, post some good tips.

Thanks guys.
    Pigworthy
    + 1

Comment

+2
      [img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/vitopagano/CoD2/limeyfunny.jpg[/img]
      [img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/english911/admin.jpg[/img]
      [size=4][color=blue][url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url][/color][/size]

Comment

Keep moving at all times
        Find the best weapon you can get
        Look for armor and powerups

Keep moving at all times

Comment

Originally posted by Cain
          Keep moving at all times
          Find the best weapon you can get
          Look for armor and powerups

Keep moving at all times
          You forgot to mention, keep moving at all times...

Anyways, another tip, learn the maps. Know where everything is, all the weapons, all the armor, and all the health pickups. Then when you get in a firefight you know what is nearby (if anything) that can be of great assistance. No better way to win a 1 on 1 than to pick up a mega health mid battle.

Comment

All the weapons are good. Just just depends on your situation. Example. You wouldn't use the flak cannon for distance shots.

One thing i always try to get used to as quick as possible is the rocket launcher lock. If you aim directly at a person for long enough an new crosshair appears and the rockets track there targets.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
              If you aim directly at a person for long enough an new crosshair appears and the rockets track there targets.

"for long enough" is the issue here. Between taking the time needed to get a lock as well as trying to snipe someone - they are both in direct conflict with Cain's rule number one "Keep Moving"

I find that if I blink in this game I am dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackarrow
                Originally posted by juneau
                If you aim directly at a person for long enough an new crosshair appears and the rockets track there targets.

"for long enough" is the issue here. Between taking the time needed to get a lock as well as trying to snipe someone - they are both in direct conflict with Cain's rule number one "Keep Moving"

I find that if I blink in this game I am dead.
                You can keep moving, just make sure your crosshair stays within a close proximity to the enemy player. It works better for distant shots, not up close and personal.

For up close i always try to jump and fire a spread of rockets down at their feet.

Comment

Coming from the Battlefield games, I find the Stinger Minigun the easiest to use while I relearn the other weapons. Up close a Flak Cannon will eat your lunch, but I was getting a bunch of medium range kills with it last night. It messes up the smaller vehicles pretty well, too.

I had a pretty good couple of rounds last night and my initial impression of the game is rising. Except for the server browser...that thing is just awful and I hope it's something they just slapped together for the demo.
                  [url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
                  [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Stupid question of the Day:

I tried the game on Sunday night but couldn't find where to configure the bindings ?? This is not that freakin' difficult, so why on Earth am I not finding a simple 'Options' menu that lists your movement assignments ? I did register my nick for online play and look for the Lair, but no luck getting on at the time.

I really need to try out UT3, so convince me to set aside TF2 for an evening.
                    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Here's some of my wisdom (for what its worth (not much))

This is my setup, not what's set in stone

For starters heres what weapons are good for what (worst to best)

Short Range:

Stinger
                      Shock Rifle
                      Link Gun
                      Flack Cannon
                      Rocket Launcher

Meduim Range:

Rocket Launcher
                      Stinger
                      Shock Rifle

Long Range:

Rocket Launcher
                      Shock Rifle
                      Sniper Rifle

This is for infantry combat.

First thing I suggests all of Cains suggestions.

Next is SWITCH WEAPONS as needed. I hate to see someone try to take me down with a sniper rifle at close range. I almost feel bad splattering them all over creation, just because they brought a rifle to a hand-gun fight.

Secondly is FEIGN DEATH is your friend! About to get run over by a manta? They can't squish you when your laying down!

Here's some vehichle tips:

Shoot at all times, you have infinite ammo, may as well spray and pray while your aiming.

In the manta, try to keep good sideways momentum, manuevering forward and backward is very easy, but going sideways takes a lot of work.

In the raptor, don't forget you can squish people. It's almost like having a flying manta, I find.

Shock secondary can really F-up a manta trying to squish you.

Also linking an enemy vehicle might fool the driver into thinking hes being repaired.

Finally:

ONLY USE THE HOVERBOARD INSIDE YOUR OWN BASE. It's really really really bad to get knocked off this thing, because once you are you are basically dead. Count yourself lucky if your not killed immediately.
                      Traditionally, UT players did not have this device, they had to walk everywhere (when no vehicles were around). UT devs gave us the hoverboard to get to the battle quickly, but once you are there, put it away. Listen for bullets wizzing!
                      I think they counterbalanced this thing way to harshly. I find myself prefering the run than get on this thing. Only use it in emergencies!

Comment

i use mostly the Stinger, but when confronted my an enemy in a confined space at a distance, use the alt fire of the shockrifle. those orbs are huge and tend to catch most things. for a dodgy opponent in a tight space at distance, either the stinger or the green gun.

Another good use of the green gun thanks to its rate of fire is spraying the bridge. it'll catch most folks on hover boards. switch to the sniper rifle and boom. easy kill.

Manta's. these little buggers are annoying. i know, i am brutal with one. however, the best tactics i've seen used, used my self, etc, are to get up high. they can't head there easily, and the Avril is killer.

Raptors - these are a manta's worst enemy if used properly. they alt fire missles lock onto them, and are very deadly. kick back, hover, and let the buggers come to you. very good defenseive as well as offensive weapons. Also, something i just learned, to descend, press the crouch key. usually, its "c".

The Nuke -- found under the bridge in the middle, near where the free manta spawns. Grab it, run back to your base, where the cars all spawn. get inside, and use the alt fire to lauch a POV missle. direct it back to their base in the shortest route possible. this is best used when a teammate is getting the flag. once he is inside the building, detonate it near buy, and let him have a free ride out!

Rush! don't sit back and defend. move forward, and move quickly and alot.

Armour & jump boots - if you jump oonto the top landing of the bridge, walk back off and move in the direction of the tower itself. there is a lading just above the jump pad with a short hallway that has either the jump boots or body armour. its always good to to have these, as they get you out of sticky situations. using the missle trick while jumping results in an easy escape from an otherwise unfortunate situation.

Vehicles and flags. its always best to work as a team. skate in with a fast mover, grab the flag, and grapple back onto it asap. this tactic isn't used that much due to the lack of teamwork, but has been proven to not only work, but win rounds!

Kill kill kill. anything and everything. ammo is bountiful, and you can collect it at enemy spawns.

don't blow up enemy vehicles. if they ditch it, steal it! it leaves them without a vital piece of equipment. at one point last night, my team had both raptors, both tanks, and all 3 mantas. it was brutal for the other team.

I'll post more as i think of them.

Comment

If you have an enemy manta flying around your base squishing people get out your impact hammer!!!!! Charge your secondary fire and get out where he'll try and squish you. If he hits you it's instant death.......for him!! I did this about four times to the same guy last night! I don't think he ever figured out what I was doing. Once more people figure this out, I think you'll see a lot less Manta domination.

TEAMWORK!! Heal wounded vehicals with your link secondary. Expecially the big hitters like the tanks and mantas! The teams that win are the teams that work together.

MD

Comment

stay away from darth when he's flying a manta. that may be the best advice i could give you.

Comment

One thing I rarely see new player do:

Use the Stinger Minigun on Raptors! With only 200 health, and the relatively accurate Stinger fire even at range, one or two players focus-firing on an exposed Raptor can quickly bring it down. Shock rifle and Sniper rifle can also be useful, though you do have to compensate for the slight firing delay (lag).

This also works on Mantas, though its more precarious as if they are close to you, they are just as likely to squish you you as they are to try and get away.

Also, don't discount the Hellbender! Even though it is somewhat nerfed in this version, the 2 seater truck with the shock combo first seat and plasma cannon second seat can be quite a force on the battlefield. The first seat secondary fire, which is normally used to detonate the plasma orbs for the sky-mine shock combo, can also be used as a slightly weaker version of the secondary seat plasma cannon. Sometimes it goes buggy and doesn't aim correctly, but generally you can use it as a decent long-range weapon if people are outside decent shock-combo radius. The shock combo is also really good at intercepting incoming missiles. If you catch one incoming, shoot a couple quick orbs and detonate those rockets prematurely!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X