Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategy Tips for vCTF Capping

Originally posted by Cain
    Share some of DrSin's strategy for capping...
    There are two good ways right now. First is to have teamwork going with a hoverboard and manta/raptor combo. You fly to the flag, guy on the hoverboard grabs the flag, latches back on, and you take off and get back as soon as you can. Dr. Sin threw in a little extra by taking out like 3-4 guys on our way out with the flag, it was pretty fun to watch his manta work.

The above method is by far the fastest and most efficient, but with VOIP not working for most people, only those who have seen it work are going to know about it. It's not a real threat during the Beta period, but if people use it, it's very effective.

The other way is to go in on foot. You prepare for it by grabbing the jump boots and as much health and armor as you can. As soon as you grab the flag, you're moving. First jump boot jump gets you onto the spawn building area. You run through the back way there, which gives you a jump overlook onto the jump pad on the defender side of the bridge. From here you've got a couple different moves, but you're basically working through their side of the bridge, to head to your tower on the opposite end close to your flag building.

Your last jump boot action, assuming you can save it that long, is to ascend to the large building next to the flag structure, and use the roofs to get around and down to your flag for the score.

This method is very fast, and it lets you avoid most confrontation with defenders trying to get the flag back. If you can grab rockets on your way in, so much the better to blow up anyone chasing you.

The second method is easier to stop than the first. You have to know where the path leads and try to cut off the flag carrier. Helps to have a manta or raptor. The main guy who's been doing this in the server is really damn good, so you're in for a fight trying to stop him.

-Rand
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

You fly to the flag, guy on the hoverboard grabs the flag, latches back on, and you take off and get back as soon as you can.
    How do you latch on? I successfully did it once but, I don't know how I did it.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior
      You fly to the flag, guy on the hoverboard grabs the flag, latches back on, and you take off and get back as soon as you can.
      How do you latch on? I successfully did it once but, I don't know how I did it.
      Apache
      Sometimes it seems hit or miss, but for the most part, you have to be on the hoverboard, sort of facing your target vehicle, and be within about 20-30 feet. It should say "press fire to grapple vehicle" or something like that, and show a red crosshair on the vehicle.

It seems to happen more quickly sometimes as soon as you get on the board than if you are sitting on the board already waiting to grab something. And if there are two vehicles close by, it almost always wants to grab the one you don't want.

When I took the flag on the run with Dr. Sin, I just hopped on the board and fired as soon as I was on both to start and when I had the flag, and it worked pretty well.

-Rand

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

also, you have to be looking at the "sortof" back of the vehicle. you'll get a funny targeting reticle, and just hit fire

Comment

Press forward when you're grappled, it will keep you closer to the vehicle.

Manta and raptor drivers, always keep an eye out for the flag carrier and pull up in front of them. (Don't run them over! hehe) Watch for the icon to be sure they are attached and then take off.

Comment

The only time I was hooked up the driver ran me face first into a wall.
            Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

I've run guys right into the river before. I tended to try to make the leap over in one jump, and don't quite make it.

Raptors are great for rides. The hoverboard hovers at any height.

Oh, two hints/words of advice: drivers--don't go after targets if you have a passenger unless it's a direct threat. I.E. don't start chasing the manta that just crossed under you to head back to your base. Do attack the raptor that just turned your way, or the tank that's going to blow your passenger to tiny bits.

Passengers--if your driver is forced to go on the offense, use your judgement on if you should stay on the ride or bail. If you're on a Raptor and they go after the other Raptor, you should probably bail and hope that a) he wins, and b) comes back for you (I would).

-Rand

Comment

Best not to jump over barriers in the Manta while towing. I got splattered a lot when towing in not being able to react in time to make the same jump. Keep the ride as smooth as possible. Goat was doing a great job the other day towing me on the Manta.

This map though has a very bad location for the flag IMO. Its too easy to camp it on defense if you are so inclined. Park a bender or scorp in the little enclave beside it and spam any enemy that comes through. I haven't done that myself but the opportunity is definitely there.

Comment

Originally posted by Slug{CLR}
                  Best not to jump over barriers in the Manta while towing. I got splattered a lot...
                  They get SPLATTERED when you jump it over the barriers?! (aw man, THAT's where they kept going...)

Comment

Hmmm.. I'll try camping the flag today.

My Other strategies I tried usually resulted in stat padding Limey's score.. lol

Too bad there isn't a Map showing the route the flag carrier should take. Some of the references don't make any sense to me atm.
                    ??Click me to donate??

Comment

Best not to jump over barriers in the Manta while towing. I got splattered a lot when towing in not being able to react in time to make the same jump. Keep the ride as smooth as possible. Goat was doing a great job the other day towing me on the Manta.

This map though has a very bad location for the flag IMO. Its too easy to camp it on defense if you are so inclined. Park a bender or scorp in the little enclave beside it and spam any enemy that comes through. I haven't done that myself but the opportunity is definitely there.
                      There were players doing that last night on my team.
                      Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Storm_Shadow
                        Best not to jump over barriers in the Manta while towing. I got splattered a lot...
                        They get SPLATTERED when you jump it over the barriers?! (aw man, THAT's where they kept going...)
                        More like the "Wile. E. Coyote" school of splat, an almost cartoonish effect where the boarder will hit the wall, fall off the board, and be lying in a pool of their own pain at the base for a few seconds until they can climb back up.

-Rand

Comment

The second method is easier to stop than the first. You have to know where the path leads and try to cut off the flag carrier. Helps to have a manta or raptor. The main guy who's been doing this in the server is really damn good, so you're in for a fight trying to stop him.
                          He did it to me quite a few games in a row. We tried to stop him but he had great rocket skills. So I figured I'd learn from him and have been doing that whenever I can. Work's pretty well, I just need to get my killing skills up to par.

Comment

yeah, i was using the raptor/hoverboard combo last night with some dude, we got it down pretty good!

he would fly me in, drop me off, i would grab the flag and latch back on, and fly off...

of course it wasnt that easy, but it was a blast when it worked!

Comment

Originally posted by th3st1ck
                              yeah, i was using the raptor/hoverboard combo last night with some dude, we got it down pretty good!

he would fly me in, drop me off, i would grab the flag and latch back on, and fly off...

of course it wasnt that easy, but it was a blast when it worked!
                              I've been trying desperately to use that tactic over the past few days. But one of two things keep happening.

1. I get the manta but nobody attempts to latch onto me.
                              2. Somebody else get's the manta and goes off pancake people.

I need some tactically minded people on the same team as me.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X