Final Impressions on Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Impressions on Beta

Ok, we've played this long enough now, let's post our final evaluations on what we think. I'll start, since it's my thread.

VCTF

As a game mode, I find it fun for the first 20 minutes, and as boring as anything I can think of after that, especially as it goes into OT. May be a function of the number of players, but I think it's map size. Larger maps, I hope, are more fun and easier to grab flags.

The loss of VOIP is a HUGE disadvantage also. I think being able to work on voip, especially with those who have worked via VOIP on UT2k4 and BF, will make it much easier to coordinate flag attacks. They do have to fix the voip errors. I ended up disabling it completely today because the only thing I've been able to hear with no problem was today's Asshat of the Day spamming "Error 22" nonstop on VOIP.

Suspense (VCTF Map)

This map just really sort of sucks, to tell the truth. For those who are skilled with tank-craft, it's incredibly, insanely unbalanced in their favor. The ease of defense however, makes it so that often those tankers (i.e. me) are forced to play defense in OT to make sure the other side doesn't get that last cap, and it lengthens the round. Even using it in a more offensive role, it's just dominant. Which is testiment to just how bad the map design is since Goliaths were seriously nerfed, as I'll get to in a moment.

The design of the flag house makes it too easy to sit something in the room and spam the heck out of it, making defense that much easier. And the smaller spawn house is very poorly thought out, making it way too easy for campers to flatten spawners with mantas.

Because it's easy for passengers to fall off mantas, you're limited to maybe one or two ways for a teamwork pass to get the flag with those. A bit more with Raptors because you have much more freedom. But lack of coordination makes these combinations hard. If you could leap the entire way from the Spammer ledge to the far hill and keep the passenger, it would be much easier with a manta/hoverboard run.

Deathmatch

Insane, shear action. Fun, but also at times annoying because there is always someone waiting at the spawns to camp it. However, with SLIGHTLY larger maps, this has a lot of potential. The darkwalker is so fun that it cannot be underestimated just how much one looks forward to more Necris vehicles to try. Same for other Necris vehicles that you can spawn up in instant action. On that note, Paladins still suck, and not being able to see through the shield is a big handicap. I hope they fix that. Map design ok for both maps. I would like to try team DM.

Vehicles

Some pretty significant changes to many vehicles. Here's what I think of each one. I'm going to use quotes to help with format.

Goliath: Nerfed significantly from ONS. The biggest changes are a huge reduction in turn/slew speed, and a big reduction in splash damage. I think they nerfed them too much, and in a better map, they're going to be dead meat if they remain the same. They need to increase turret slew and tank turn speed by quite a bit, I would really like it back as it was in ONS, but even just slightly (instead of significantly) less would be good.

An increase in splash would help also. I don't like hitting 5 feet in front of a guy and watching him bounce away, or how hard it is to stop an AVRIL rocket now. Accuracy at distance needs looked at as well. There is more spread than in ONS. I can deal with it as it is, because there does need to be some check to Goliath power aside from powered-up Raptors, Mantas, and Scorpions, but if I hit a Raptor at long range, I want it to die just as if at short range. There is a bit more shell lag (i.e. the shells are slower than ONS), and a bit of lateral lag going after a Raptor. This, combined with shot spread increase, makes it a lot harder to hit a Raptor at distance. I've had a couple dozen (literally) shots that would have been eagle eyes in ONS that miss now. Though I also have dozens of Eagle Eyes in the beta already.

The increase in forward speed is greatly appreciated. A very slight tweak to shot spread at distance, a 10-20 percent increase in slew speed, and a 10 percent increase in splash will make them just about perfect, good like a tank should be, and in balance with the increases to other vehicles.

As you can see, a lot of stuff on Goliaths, but I know more about them than almost anyone except the Epic guys working on the code.
    Manta: Significantly better than ONS. Tighter turn radius, so that even those who were good, but not masters (like me ) are better than they were in ONS. Even novices can do well. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but in the hands of a true master, these things are very powerful. They strafe a bit quicker, and their shot strength was increased SIGNIFICANTLY. This is probably the single most powerful increase to any vehicle. A manta makes short work of a Goliath in skilled hands.

Some may say this is due to the map. To some degree that may be true. But by and large, they are more powerful than in ONS. I think the shot damage needs a slight downward tweak, and then it'll be a good balance that will help average/new players learn them and increase their fun factor, while not overpowering them for vets.

Raptor: Shot damage also increased. Up/down speed slightly lowered. Manuverablility GREATLY increased. All in all, I appreciate these changes. It's a bit more fun to fly, and it's a bit easier to get ground splat kills, which are just hilarious.

Missiles are FAR too powerful right now. I've mentioned this before, and experience during the beta reinforces it: Air-Air combat is even more random than it was in ONS, and that says quite a lot. Also more brutal and much quicker because of the rate of fire. Missiles should do less damage against parked ground targets. You can take half the health off a Goliath before it knows you're there with those things. Reduce the rate of fire and damage on the missiles by 15 or 20 percent, and I think they're right there.
    Scorpions: The new flak gun homes in too well, and has too much range. It should not be able to take out a Raptor that is almost 200 feet up. It's absolute death incarnate for hoverboarders and mantas. I still prefer sticky goo, but it's not bad for anti-manta work. I can't stand the suicide run option, speaking as a tank whore, but one can adapt to them (and no, I'm not telling you how. Not yet anyway). They are definitely more useful than they were in ONS overall, which means that despite the suicide run, I think they did well with them. They're still underappreciated overall, but that should change with time.

Hellbenders: Nerf city. The twin beam cannon turned into a puny SR gun is a very poor decision. Their high profiles still make them easy to hit, and they're a bit slow. I do like that the driver can also be the ball gunner now, so no more asshats moving your ride. But the loss of the twin beam is huge. Bring back the twin-beam cannon, and it becomes acceptable again. Now? It's easily the worst of the multi-purpose attack/defend vehicles. No contest.
    Hellfire SPMA: Too powerful. They were pretty weak and lame in ONS, but now, they can easily pop Raptors out of the air and for some reason gun camera kills seem very easy to accomplish. The shot spread takes out a Goliath with ease, and they're very easy to use. It's a noob vehicle right now. It needs to have some skill added back into it, and could use a better alternate weapon than the same ole shock balls. A rocket turret could be pretty cool. They need to bring down the rate of fire (you can now have 3 shots in the air at once), and slightly reduce the damage, maybe 10 percent.

Hoverboard: useful, especially if you adapt to the utility of it. I quickly started using it for short trips while gathering goods or advancing, ready to leap off before I get knocked off. Very useful for chasing after flag carriers, and INCREDIBLY useful for fast flag runs (and presumably, Warfare assaults). Needs more coordination via VOIP, but if you can find someone like a Dr. Sin flying a manta, latch onto him. He knows exactly what to do, and you can do your part and get a flag cap. I'm not enormously bothered by how hard it is to knock folks off: just as useful as it is annoying. Fine addition overall, but need to have 2 guys on each vehicle, not just 1.
    Paladin: Paladins suck. :P That was my ONS motto. I don't know if it will be here or not. Faster forward, still slow in reverse. Need to see through shield to be useful. Pretty much the same as in ONS.

Fury: Fun. Like all Necris vehicles. It DOES seem like the beams track somewhat based on my chasing a bot in a raptor. Burst of speed in any direction useful. can't wait to see this in action.
    Cicada: seems a bit faster and more manuverable. Rate of fire is quite high, so it may need a slight tweak. Need to see it in action against humans. By the by, SR needs to have more push-back capability. Not being able to toss a Cicada round likely makes it too powerful.

Nemesis: Seems interesting enough. Superb defense vehicle, seems ok on attack.
    Weapons:

Shock Rifle was nerfed way too much. It's a heck of a lot harder to track a target now (some function of where I have mouse sensitivity, haven't found sweet spot, but even so it's harder to track). I really miss the push-back ability, especially against aircraft and mantas. Without that, it's nowhere near as useful as it once was.

Avrils are too easy to use now, and too hard to knock down the shell with splash damage.

Enforcers are weak, and the alt fire sucks. Dual enforcers are much better.

Stingers were greatly increased in power. This is the weapon of choice for most everyone, because they work against hoverboards and mantas fairly well. Too good right now. Most people, even the vets, are going to use stingers for much of their combat, which will remind us all of noobfests in ONS, but since they're so good, we'll just shake our heads and pull them out ourselves.

Rox are ok, link ok, sniper ok, flak is about the same. Impact hammers should go off even as you die. Right now they're fairly good against mantas and push them back (but not enough to get a second charge going most of the time), but you have to hit it DEAD ON. Slightest sideways turn and you go squish and they fly off unharmed.

Well, that's what I see. What do you all think?

-Rand
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

There you go, Lamont my friend. My dissertation.

-Rand

Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I'm not going to complain about any of the weapons at this point because for the most part I think they are pretty well balanced. Some changes here and there, but we will adapt to them and make them our own. I do agree however that the stinger is a bit overpowered, and the link needs to "link".

The map I agree sux with how it's laid out, but I'm not going to worry about that too much. I'll be playing Warfare.

The only adjustments I would make to vehicles: Make scorpions and Hellbenders easier to drive. They are way to sensitive and it's hard to just drive the darn things in a straight line. Fix the Hellbender rear turret. Make it stronger or return it to it's previous state where it needs to be charged.

Deathmatch is great.

The game is great overall, and I can't wait to play Warfare!

MD

Comment

I actually wish the hellbender secondary turrit was a hair stronger, but not much. You can take out somebody with 100 health in 2 hits with it, and it does have a slightly high RoF. Scorpians need to be able to turn again after their boost. You can barely turn for about 3-4 seconds after you end the boost and makes the scorp a very easy target.

Gotta say, I don't miss the push-back the shock had, I personally think that made it way too overpowered in 2k4. Give it a very small push back effect, but nothing like it was in 2k4. I also think tracking problems could be solved slightly if the crosshair was a little different.
        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

vctf... like et:qw just doesnt seem right. Die hard ctf players will probably get frustrated with it. Like most games with vehicles people worry about the vehicles more than the flags. Vehicle camping will be a issue like every game with vehicles. Surfboard is alright but not near as cool as x-loc. xloc made gameplay wild, and you could go anywhere not to mention telefrags where like knifing someone in bf2. But on the bright side modders will probably add it back if its not in the final version.

Deathmatch is cool for some skill vs skill action. You couldnt have a fps without traditional dm in it.

A lot will depend on the final maps. But ill be happy when i dont see any vehicles in ctf. Thorns,maul,grendleskeep are what ctf is all about!

Comment

Originally posted by Premonition
            But ill be happy when i dont see any vehicles in ctf. Thorns,maul,grendleskeep are what ctf is all about!
            IIRC I believe there will be normal CTF along with Vctf. I don't recall where I heard this, but I do remember hearing it.

Comment

Did you mention we need a overtime round time limit ?? And after x minutes the team with most flag grabs wins .............

Or maybe the team with the most flag grabs in OT wins...

Comment

Originally posted by Cain
                Did you mention we need a overtime round time limit ?? And after x minutes the team with most flag grabs wins .............

Or maybe the team with the most flag grabs in OT wins...
                No, but excellent points. The first flag grab in OT wins in this game, but that often takes some time. Definitely need an OT time limit though.

-Rand

Comment

Eh, OT can go on forever though if when it hits nobody has any flags. It can be a actual stalemate for hours if nobody can get a flag capture.

Comment

Manta way too powerful.

No first person view in vehicles.

Sound is kinda lame. Weapons sound... well lame. Also, no atmosphere in the game.

Avril is too easy.

Scorp is good.

Bender has been nerfed from being a strategic weapon. Too slow.

On the topic of had weapons, I have no complaints actually. Time will tell as its hard to judge without more maps to see how things develop. A lot of people are saying that the Stinger is too powerful but I am not so sure yet. I would rather not see the hitscan mania that ended up being 2K4.

Comment

My theory is this beta demo is intended to get people excited about the actual demo. I'd be very surprised to see the maps "Suspense" and "Heatray" in the finished retail product. Even the map names have too dev a sound. People have been clamoring for a taste and here it is, just a taste. Here's a few maps, here's some weapons and vehicles, go play until we are really ready to show you something.

Rand, you mention that you couldn't see through the shield on the paladin. Maybe it's my aging comp but shock balls don't look quite right either. I don't think the final code is in there yet for objects that have a see through energy look. In the video previews you CAN see through the Paladin shield (effect looks freaking awesome btw) and shock balls look different too. In this beta they look like 2d place holder graphics instead of the actual 3d graphics.

I feel the weapons to be balanced. I agree the Stinger seems to be the noob weapon of choice but I have seen guys getting the really big kills with the rocket/grenade launcher. Of course it is a weapon you have to do a little more work with to master. But I'm happy to see some skill has to be applied other than point and shoot.

I hate the controls of the Scorpion and Bender, it's way too easy to over compensate and spin out as is.

I don't like not have a first person look for vehicles. They should at least make them slightly translucent if they won't give us that option. I know why they probably ditched it but I would like 1st person option back.

I also think the avril is a little more on the too amazing side, but I noticed they weren't in the easiest places to get as well. Maybe they will be sparingly put on a map. On suspense you were open to sniper fire while firing from the tower, jumping off the tower with the Avril was hit and miss being splattered. Maybe we'll know better when we'll see some retail release maps on the final demo.

Whats with the "feigning death" move? They take away dodge jump and give us that useless maneuver?

The game looks and plays awesome though. Most of the innards of my machine will turn 4 yrs old in November but man it looks and plays great all things considered. I feel with out a dual core, possibly it will choke on warfare which is going to run on 2 data streams.

I feel that vehicles and players have been altered to make for more balanced play for the most part. While the Goliath can still take a serious beating, it's been nerfed enough to give infantry a fighting chance against it. Mantas seem like they are the perfect people mower now. They just don't seem to take much collision damage from the environment like they used to. Hopefully that will change.

Slug mentioned "no atmosphere". Not exactly sure what he was referring to but I feel some kind of detachment while playing this game. Maybe for me it's too many thousands of hours of playing UT24K that UT3 is so different I'm being biased. UT3 feels very UT but maybe it's too real looking? I seem to have no love for the vehicles except for the Darkwalker. I cant put my finger on why, is it because it's new or that the newer vehicles handle so differently? I like vehicles but as is right now I'd rather hoof it. Another thing might be the camera/eye hight level is different. Check out this post from Epic's official site:

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=579797

I'd like to have weapon throw back, that would be cool for getting some avrils off the tower. To quote someone on Epics forums, "Maybe they ran out of buttons on the console controller." LOL now thats funny. It also helped when linking up.

All in all I more happy than disapointed and the pros outweigh the cons. This beta just makes me want the finished product even more.
                      Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

I think Epic tried to please both UT99 and UT2K4 players, but ended up only pleasing the UT99 players.

Movement: More like UT99. I'm use to it now, but still miss the double dodge jump( you can do this movement with the jumpboots, might be a bug, but hope not).

Hoverboard: Didn't think I would like, but I do. Should be a lot more fun in Warfare. Too bad your a sitting duck for the Sniper and mini.

HellBender: I think they really messed this vehicle up. Way to slow. Steering to touchy. I can't hit anything with that turret. Bring back the charge and sniper capability.

Scorpion: Manta killer. I love this vehicle now. The steering touchy also, but it works for it, with the added speed.

Weapon switch speed is very slow, and I die a lot because of it. Now I find myself switching to certain weapons when I enter different areas of the map to counter the slow speed.

All and all I think its shaping up to be a great game. The Nercis vehicle's should give us a whole new experience. The only thing that worries me is that this Torlan 2 has a choke node setup.

Comment

Thanks Rand!

I think I blacked out everything after "Manta: Significantly better than ONS."

I keed... from my limited and hindered gameplay I agree with your map/gamemode and weapon assessments there most definitely. Especially the SR and Stinger commentary.

I did have some fun with instant action, so I'm still thinking warfare could kick some serious behind.

What bothers me almost the most was what Kronos mentioned about weapon switch speed. Hotkeying weapons and switching all the time was part of what made UT so fun in a firefight. Hoping that gets a small buff perhaps.

Feign Death makes me laugh. Anyone who has played the darkness that is WoW will still see visions of NE Hunters trying it and will just continue to hack away blindly with rage.

Must wait and see with bated breath... I think some new video card hardware is coming out in Nov too, hoping to coincide a UT3 purchase with some hardware upgrades.

Sound: For some reason every time I am playing I think, "I wonder if I can disable and or change most of these sounds." Can't put a finger on it.

Comment

Whats with the "feigning death" move? They take away dodge jump and give us that useless maneuver?
                            It was UT'99 "move" that like the movement changes they would hope to make UT3 feel more "old school". It was used mostly in Last Man Standing/DM gamemodes to throw off the other players when camping for powerups...

I'd like to have weapon throw back, that would be cool for getting some avrils off the tower. To quote someone on Epics forums, "Maybe they ran out of buttons on the console controller." LOL now thats funny. It also helped when linking up.
                            My feeling on weapon throw is they took it out for balance issues especially on how it worked w/ weapon lockers. Why go hunt for weapon ammo when you could toss all your weapons then restock again at a locker? I think they want ammo to be a important part of gameplay and something you can't just shrug off along w/ the limited selection at the lockers.

All in all I more happy than disapointed and the pros outweigh the cons.
                            +1

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X