Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT3: Weapons, vehicles and game modes oh my!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3: Weapons, vehicles and game modes oh my!

Allright, I keep seeing all of these threads about hints and tips for UT3. I'm going to cover everything I can think of. From weapons, to vehicles, how to stay alive and mabey even win in a fight. What weapon work well at what distances and agaisnt what vehicles...ect...ect. Like I said, everything I can think of! If you see i've forgotten something please let me know and i'll fit it in! If you'd like to add to this, please go ahead. There are many others here in the lair whom have more experience then I do with certain vehicles/weapons and know how best to use them. ALL input is appreciated! Also, I would like to thank everybody here at Cains Lair for all of the information they have provided in other threads. I would also like to thank Cain and Dark4se, without whom we wouldn't have such great servers to play on and great forums to chat in!

Going to start with the actual weapons, because without these you're nothing more then a target! You will hear some weapons called different names, and that's because these weapons have been in UT ever sense it began (the original UT) and have had different names. I will put the different names that I know of in brackets right after the weapon name in UT3.

Weapons!

Impact Hammer - This is one of the two weapons you originally start off with. It's a very close range weapon who's primary fire can be "charged up" by holding down the primary fire button (left mouse botton in most cases). When the primary fire is released it sends out a very short wave of air (as best I can tell, please let me know if this is different) which at full charge can kill a enemy that has full health! The secondary fire of this weapon sends out an EMP pulse that can disable nearby vehicles! Great for use against the Manta and Scorpian!

Enforcers - This is a high power 9mm Handgun. Primary fire shoots off single rounds that are fairly accurate and can cause moderate damage. Secondary fire shoots off 3 round bursts, each bullet causing as much damage as the primary fire, but the bullets are a bit more erratic, better suited for close range. This is also the other weapon that you start off with when you spawn.

I am leaving out the "caniser gun" in this for now because so far all I have seen is the Bioriffle and I cannot find much information on the canister gun at this time. If anybody has any information, please let me know so I can have this updated to include that information!

Bio riffle - The bio riffle Is best used as an defensive weapon for most people, but in the right situation (such as sneaking up on an enemy in close range) can be VERY effective at killing off an enemy without them even realizing you where there! The primary fire fire of the Bio riffle shoots out small bio-acidic blobs in a small arch allowing you to "pepper" an area very well. The secondary fire of this weapon (when held down) "charges up" a large amount (10 rounds) of the bio-acidic globs into one large glob that can be hurled at an enemy. If it makes contact with the enemy it will stick to them for a moment before "poping" and killing the enemy (in most cases). Trust me, it's very satisfying to do this to an enemy!

Shok riffle [shok]- This weapon is great to use in both long range and short range situations. The primary fire will shoot off a very accurate plasma beam that can slightly push back an enemy, while the secondary fire will shoot off a somewhat slow moving plasma ball. using the primary fire on the plasma ball will cause a "shok combo" which will cause the plasma ball to explode and do a serious amount of damage to anybody (or anything) with the area of the combo! Very useful around corners or against an enemy that is following you!

Link gun - Ah the link gun! It's primary fire shoots off small green plasma bolts at a high rate of fire that is fairly accurate even at long ranges. Good to use against an enemy vehicle at a decent range if you need to "pepper" them. The secondary fire will emit a link beam, which is a beam of green plasma that can be useful in close combat situations where you need to move about quickly, although it's better used to heal friendly vehicles by "linking" to them. All you have to do to heal a friendly vehicle is place your link beam onto the vehicle, and it will heal the vehicle! The more armor the vehicle has lost, the longer it will take to restore full health to the vehicle.

Stinger minigun [minigun]- This weapon's primary fire has a high RoF (Rate of Fire) that is fairly accurate. Shooting out metal shards at a high velocity at the enemy. The secondary fire is a slower moving variation of the primary fire, but packs more of a punch and is better used against say the SPMA or a tank at medium range (if you don't have any other options). It is said that the secondary fire of the minigun can/will nail an enemy to the wall if it is what kills the enemy! Also, the primary fire is great to use against raptors and even mantas if you catch them offguard or can get a hit on them from behind. The primary fire also seems to have somewhat of a "push back" effect, like the shok riffle.

Flak cannon [the flak] [flak]- Think of this weapon like a shotgun, with a grenade launcher all wrapped into one. This is a close range weapon! The primary fire acts like a shotgun blast, firing out a lot of small projectiles in a tight cone shape. These projectiles can also bounce off of a wall, making it great to use against an enemy who just went around a corner to hide! The secondary fire of the flak cannon fires off an explosive grenade that will send out small projectiles in every which direction. On a direct hit, this will cause major damage to an enemy, and even a near miss will still do a considerable amount damage. Great to use if you are running from an enemy and just turned a corner. Turn around and hit them as they make that turn to follow you!

Rocket Launcher Great for both close and long range attacks. The primary fire will shoot off single rockets, while the secondary fire will load up 3 rockets and fire them off in a V pattern with one rocket going into the middle of the V. Pressing the primary fire once while the rockets are loading up will cause them to spiral around each other in very tightly, which can be good to use against vehicles at long range, or against somebody following you around a corner (again). Pressing primary fire twice while loading up rockets will cause them to become high power grenades. Use them against an enemy in a ditch, bounce them off of walls. They can be used in many different ways! Also, if you leave your crosshairs on an enemy long enough (about 3-4 seconds) the rockets will "lock-on" to the enemy an dfollow the enemy. Giving you a fire and forget weapon! use this with the spiral effect against tanks to do a nice chunk of damage to their armor.

Longbow Avril [avril]- A anti-vehicle weapon with a slow RoF. Packs a punch against all enemy vehicles. Primary fire launches a missile which will follow the enemy vehicle as long as your crosshairs stay on it. Secondary fire will allow you to zoom in and stay locked onto the enemy vehicle without you having to move the mouse to stay locked on. Best useds against rapotrs, tanks, and other heavy armored vehicles. use this right after firing off tripple rockets at an enemy vehicle to do a lot of damage fast!

Sniper riffle - Exactly as it sounds! This is a long range heavy damage weapon. Causes 70 damage for a body shot, instant death if you can hit somebody in the head (assuming they don't have 199 health or a lot of armor). Very accurate and should only be used at long ranges. grab the "amplify damage' picket (a.k.a. Double damage) to do some very serious damage with this weapon. This can even make it effective against tanks. About 5-6 shots on a tank (140 damage a shot x 5 shots = 700 damage!) should take it down!

The redeemer [redeemer] [deemer] [nuke]- A portable small medium area nuclear missile. Primary fire shoots off a "fire and forget" nuke that upon impact will explode taking out almost anything within the blast radius. The secondary fire shoots off a T.V. guided nuke, allowing you to steer the weapon to where you want it to go. In this mode though you are very vulnerable as you yourself cannot move or see anything around you. Make sure you hide somewhere safe before firing this off in secondary fire. You can only hold one of these at a time. NOTE: Any projectile that hits the redeemer will cause it to be "denied" and the nuke will be null and void.

Pickups! Pickups are objects in the game that a player can gather. Be they weapons, armor, health, ammo...ect...ect... I've already talked about weapons, so we're going to focus on the other pickups in the game.

health vial This will give you 5 health per vial, up to a max of 199 health total. Useful in firefights to gain back that little bit of health you need to win.

health pickup - I am unaware if these are in UT3, but they have been in previous versions of UT, so I am going to assume they are. These are blue shaped crosses and will give back 25 health per pickup up to 100 health (your starting health value).

Keg o health [keg]- This bad boy will give 100 extra health, up to 199 health. Slow respawn rate though, but great if you know you are going to be getting into a big firefight, or if you are going after the flag. That extra health can really help you out! Looks like a big blue keg barrel.

Ammo pickups [ammo]- These are normally found near a weapons pickup and generally have the same color as the weapon they go with. Yellow for flak, green for link, gray/blue for minigun, purple for shok riffle...ect...ect...

Berserk pickup - Kinda looks like the shok riffle pickup, but it's larger and has an orange core. This pickup will caus you to have double the rate of fire you normally would! Double the RoF= Double the damage you can cause!

Amplify damage [Double damage] [DD]- Causes any weapon you pull out to have double the damage it normally would, so a single rocket has the power of two for example!.

Note: Berserk and Amplify damage pickups only last for a short amount of time (30 seconds!) so use them wisely and quickly!

Allright, that's all of the pickup's I can think of at the moment. If anybody knows of any that I missed please let me know so I can add them in as well!

Next up we've got vehicles. I'm only going to be covering the human vehicles because quite frankly that's all i've had experience with. If somebody here has lots of experience with the alien vehicles, please post up what you know so we can all figure them out!

Allright, gotta cover something first so you all don't get lost. Vehicles can have multiple seats (the tank, Cicada, and Hellbender are good examples). Pressing the number 1 key will place you into the first seat (normally the driver seat) and pressing the number 2 key will place you into the secondary seat and so on and so forth. Each seat normally has a primary and secondary fire as well.

Goliath [tank]- This is exactly as the name sounds. It's a tank. Seat 1 gives you the ability to drive, and shoot the main cannon. Main cannon's primary fire will shoot off a large, high velocity, explosive round. Combine this with the secondary fire (which zooms in) and you have a lethal area clearing machine. The rounds arn't 100% accurate, so don't expect each round to hit the exact same space every time. Seat 2 places you into a gunner's position, giving you controll over an AA turrit mounted onto the top of the tank. Last reports giving indicated that it worked fairly well against raptors and other light armored vehicles. Also great to use against ground troops.

Hellfire SPMA [SPMA] [Spammer]- This is a artilary barrage vehicle. Use the spacebar to place down the stabilizers and then use primary fire to shoot off a camera into the sky. Press fire at the desired height for your camera. Once the camera is deployed use the primary fire to shoot off Morter rounds that explode right before impace, causing a spread of smaller explosive shells to scatter over a decent sized area! Great for defending a certain path into your base, or keeping the enemy pressed down on a certain spot. If the stabilizers are not deployed, then the primary fire will shoot off shok balls and secondary fire will shoot off a shok beam, which can "chain" shok combos! More or less, you shoot off a few shok balls and then press secondary fire to detonate all of those shok balls at once!

Hellbender [bender]- This vehicle is mostly used for defense, although it can be used in offensive runs as well. Seat 1 Will allow you to drive around. Primary fire shoots off shok balls, and secondary fire detonates them the same way the secondary fire of the SPMA does. Seat 2 puts you into the backseat of the Hellbender and gives you a nice plasma beam snipe riffle. Primary fire shoots off a fairly strong plasma beam, secondary fire zooms in. Two shots of this beam to the body will take out a player with 100 health. Have a decent Rate of fire as well and a little bit of a pushback effect.

Scorpian [coffin]- This small one man vehicle is great to use in an offensive way. It has little armor, but can be good to use aginst grounds troops and with the addition of being able to use it as a mobile explosive device can now work great against the unexpecting tank or SPMA! Primary fire shoots off dense plasma balls that have a somewhat high arch and a decent range. Will track airborn enemies up to 120ft away. They do moderate damage as well. Secondary fire opens up the scorpians twin blades that are hiding in the front. These are great for mowing down groups of foot troups! the blades are an instant death to those walking around, and they just sound cool coming out!

Manta This is a very nimble, fast, and deadly hovercraft. Primary fire shoots off small plasma rounds that can pack quite a punch. Jump key will cause your manta to pop up into the air for a moment before floating back down to it's normal height. Useful for getting over larger objects. Secondary fire will cause your manta to squat down close to the ground so you can flatten your enemies! Use the secondary fire while up in the air to really trick people. They may think you are jumping out of the way, but as soon as you are up in the air... SLAM right down onto them! The jump squash combo is also good against tanks for moving around them. Their turrit (while fast) isn't quite fast enough to keep up with how fast a manta can go up over them and land right on the other side, letting the primary fire rip the tank to shreds!

Raptor Air combat vehicle. Jump key will cause the raptor to move straight up into the air, and the crouch key will cause it to move straight down. Extreamly nimble aircraft! Primary fire shoots off the same plasma bolts at the manta while the secondary fire will shoot off powerful and fast rockets. These are also homing rockets! Lock onto another raptor, a manta, or even soembody on a hoverboard and watch the damage fly. They have a very high RoF and can do quite a bit of damage.

Cicada A somewhat nimble, long range, bombardment aircraft. Can move up and down extreamly quickly while it's forward and aft movements arn't quite as fast as those of the raptor. Primary fire will shoot off twin air-to-ground rockets with a decent RoF and also decent damage. Secondary fire will cause your Cicada to emit a small laser onto the spot you where aiming at, while loading up to 12 or 14 rockets over a small amount of time before launching them all one right after the other at a very very high pace. Great for a sneak attack on an enemy powernode (warfare/onslaught)! This vehicle also has a passanger seat who's primary fire uses alternating laser beams of moderate strength, best used against ground vehicles and foot troups. The secondary fire will launch a flare that can divert incoming Avril rockets. These flares do not work against the raptor rockets!

These are all of the vehicles I am going to cover for now. Some have been left out (like the leviathan) because I have not used these in UT3 yet. I will go back later once the actual demo/game is released and update this as necessary and will also include the necris vehicles once I get a chance to play around with those some and see how they fair.
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Wow, not a single reply to this? hum...
    [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Thanks for posting this information Seikio. I just got the game running yesterday and it's good to read up on this.
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Seiko thanks. I don't know how I missed this. Great

Comment

Another great guide. Thanks for this Seiko.

Comment

Lots of good info for new players. Good job.

-Rand
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Ah, I have learned MUCH from this guide. Thank you, Seiko!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                by Apache Warrior
                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to 6 years
                by Sirex
                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                by Sirex
                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                by Sirex
                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                by Sirex
                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
              Working...
              X