This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do Americans join Buddism?

I was wondering about this, sometimes I see onlinel dating profiles of women, white, caucasion American women, but when I see their religon it says, "Buddism"

Now why would an American join a religion exclusive to S.E. Asians?

I'm no Buddhism expert, but I don't think there's anything in it that mandates a certain race. People use religion for different reasons, maybe these women find peace in the tenets of Buddhism. As religions go, it seems to be a pretty benevolent one, unlike...well, pretty much all the other ones. Plus they have that great fat guy. A guy that looks like he'd sit down and have a beer with you. I imagine a Buddhist woman would be more tolerant of her mate developing a beer belly. She could rub it for luck.

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Thrashdragon][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/violet/Thrashdragon.png[/img][/url]
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/spikedz/TD_Latin.png[/img]

Comment

Thats a really good question. I'm no sure... and I live here in America, and know these women.

Then again... People also try to take a concept of freedom to new levels just so they can be different. Thats the only thing I dislike about where I live at... everyone insists on being different and unique. They fail to realize they're own significance, and try to make a false one, using whatever means necessary.

This a sad thing, but true.

Just goes to show that you should never let someone else's opinion falter your own.

Comment

freedom of religion.....

Comment

Originally posted by Premonition
          freedom of religion.....
          Simple quote, sums up my beliefs as well. Nicely put.

Religion is not tied to one?s nationality. Sure, the place where religion is born typically has a higher concentration of people practicing it. But religion is about thoughts and ideals, and limiting that to a certain group is kinda stereotypical and close minded.

That?s like saying that all Jews should are in Israel, all Muslims are in the Middle East and all Pagans are in Salem.
          [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
          So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

mmm... why are you looking at online dating profiles??

Comment

People come all over the place to covert religions, or some like to stay put and covert religion.

I guess people like their ways. I myself am not a religion expert, but suprirsingly (or not) more then 75% of all Arabic immigrants are Christians, and the only explanation that really makes sense was to covert.

I'm probably off topic by now lol.

Anyways, I think they just want to try new religions, could be much like why Lisa Simpson coverted.

Comment

Why they move? Christinanity is in a decline right now. There are less priests and even less people going to church. Many religions promote a way of life, spirituality through morales, actions and values. Compared to someone telling you that this is how it is.

Add to that alot of the media attention given to the pedophile priests and the covering up and denial done by the church, people are not as inclined to follow people who think like that. But they still have a need to be spiritual, thus turn to more pacifist religions. Many of the most horrible wars and events in the world are usually religion based and are often centered around the world's major religions - islam, christianity, judaism.

Comment

Originally posted by rafles
                  mmm... why are you looking at online dating profiles??

LoL you know he is

Comment

Originally posted by BigTwinky
                    Why they move? Christinanity is in a decline right now. There are less priests and even less people going to church. Many religions promote a way of life, spirituality through morales, actions and values. Compared to someone telling you that this is how it is.

Ummm isn't that what religion is doing...Telling you this is how it is. Be good go to heaven be bad go to hell.....Myself I'm a secular humanist.

Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as warrants of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance focusing on the way human beings can lead good and happy lives. More specifically, secular humanism is a non-religious life stance.
                    Hey Han Solo was one too

Originally posted by Han Solo
                    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Comment

Originally posted by thedeadlyassassin
                      I guess people like their ways. I myself am not a religion expert, but suprirsingly (or not) more then 75% of all Arabic immigrants are Christians, and the only explanation that really makes sense was to covert.
                      Just out of curiosity where did you get this number of 75% of all Arabic immigrants are Christians? In my dealings with immigrants from Jordan, Assyria, Palestine(yes Palestine) and Saudi Arabia all of them have been Muslim. Not a single one has been a Christian. Obviously my experience is not all inclusive however there is a high number of immigrants from the middle east in the high tech sector (which is where I work). So where did you get that number?

Comment

Originally posted by mapes

Ummm isn't that what religion is doing...Telling you this is how it is. Be good go to heaven be bad go to hell.....Myself I'm a secular humanist.

Secular humanism is a humanist philosophy that upholds reason, ethics, and justice, and specifically rejects the supernatural and the spiritual as warrants of moral reflection and decision-making. Like other types of humanism, secular humanism is a life stance focusing on the way human beings can lead good and happy lives. More specifically, secular humanism is a non-religious life stance.
                        Hey Han Solo was one too
                        Hmm, probably didn?t come out right (sorry, I?m french and sometimes have issues getting the right through across).

Many religions promote a way to LIVE your life, with values and morals while others tell you that if you are good (good, by their standards) you will go to heaven and live in bliss for the rest of your life or be bad and you will live a life of torment.

Yes, in essence they all have a ?superior? power who is laying down the law. Whether he is a smiling fat guy, a hippy with a dress or someone without a face. Some have teachings while others have absolute laws/rules.

Make more sense?

I tend to lean towards the secular humanism as well. However, I am so not a fan of having to classify and group everyone into something. Kinda like bands, where this one is classified as retro hippy pop while the other is an acid hillbilly rock.

Comment

Re: Why do Americans join Buddism?

Originally posted by Evil Tony
                          I was wondering about this, sometimes I see onlinel dating profiles of women, white, caucasion American women, but when I see their religon it says, "Buddism"

Now why would an American join a religion exclusive to S.E. Asians?
                          Funnily enough, these dating sites dont actually hunt down the people who log onto them to make sure theyre telling the truth...
                          These women are probably just tyring to throw you off-balance; I know my girlfriend tries to.

And why do you need a dating site? Youre the one gettin all the belly-dancers

Comment

Originally posted by Gamer Shockley
                            Thats a really good question. I'm no sure... and I live here in America, and know these women.

Then again... People also try to take a concept of freedom to new levels just so they can be different. Thats the only thing I dislike about where I live at... everyone insists on being different and unique. They fail to realize they're own significance, and try to make a false one, using whatever means necessary.

This a sad thing, but true.

Just goes to show that you should never let someone else's opinion falter your own.
                            I didn't mean for it sound closed minded, since I DO promote freedom of religion.

I just know people here that were born and raised Christian, and change over time just to be different.

We're I live at in the US you seldom see people change their religion for actual personal benefit.

I am Christian, and even though I would promote someone to become Christian, I would tell them to follow their heart, and try to show the true good side of my religion. I don't go to church, yet I am one of the most spiritual people you will ever meet. I don't believe in organized religion since it only leads to problems, and therefore I am Nondenominational.

Personally in my belief as Christian, God sees and will judge you for who you are and the acts you do, not wither you go to church.

Comment

Reason...

Because they take solace in the facts of that religion, they feel comfortable in it.

My mothers catholic, my father is protestant (sp?) i follow nether why? because i cant take comfort in either, so i don't follow them.

Religion is a thing you rely on to be there when you need it, to help you, and if you dont feel comfortable in it, then whats the point of having it there?
                              So they pick one and follow one that they feel suits them etc.

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
                              ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X