Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh great...Halo 3 causes murder now....

Teen killed mother in Halo 3 row

A US teenager killed his mother and wounded his father in revenge after they took away his violent computer game, a judge has ruled.

The defence team for Daniel Petric, 17, had argued his addiction to the Halo 3 game, in which players shoot invading aliens, had made him insane.

But the judge rejected this, saying he had planned revenge for weeks.

Petric, of Ohio, was tried as an adult and faces a maximum possible penalty of life in prison without parole.

On the night of the shooting in October 2007, Petric used his father's key to open a lockbox and remove a 9mm handgun and the game, the court heard.

His father Mark, who was shot in the head and survived, testified that his son came into the room and asked: "Would you guys close your eyes? I have a surprise for you."

He said he expected a pleasant surprise. Then his head went numb from the gunshot.

The Associated Press news agency reports that Microsoft, which owns the intellectual property for the game, declined to comment beyond a statement saying: "We are aware of the situation and it is a tragic case."
    BBC NEWS | Americas | Teen killed mother in Halo 3 row

As GamePolitics reported yesterday, a judge in Lorain County, Ohio ruled that 17-year-old Daniel Petric was guilty of shooting his parents in a dispute over whether or not the teen could play Halo 3. Petric's mother was killed in the 2007 incident.

A comment made by Judge James Burge during his sentencing of gamer Petric is getting wide play in both the mainstream and gaming press:
    I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea at the time he hatched this plot that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever.
    Pretty negative toward games, right? But Burge's full remarks are much worse. GamePolitics created the transcript below from a video of the sentencingwhich is posted on the website of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

By way of context, Judge Burge explains that expert testimony during Petric's trial failed to establish an insanity defense, forcing him to find Petric guilty as charged. But the judge apparently believes that the young man is deeply troubled and that video games are a primary factor:
    The Court must enter a finding of guilty on the counts set forth in the indictment. That being said, it's my firm belief as a human being - and not as a jurist - that Daniel does suffer from a serious defect of the mind.

This Court's opinion is that we don't know enough about these video games. In this particular case, not so much the violence of the game because I believe in the Halo 3, what it amounts to is a contest to see who can shoot the most aliens who attack.

It's my firm belief that after a while the same physiological responses occur that occur in the ingestion of some drugs. And I believe that an addiction to these games can do the same thing. The dopamine surge, the stimulation of the nucleus accumbens - the same as an addiction. Such that when you stop, your brain won't stand for it.

The other dangerous thing about these games, in my opinion, is that when these changes occur, they occur in an environment that is delusional. Because you can shoot these aliens, and they're there again the next day. You have to shoot them again. And I firmly believe that Daniel Petric had no idea, at the time he hatched this plot, that if he killed his parents, they would be dead forever.
    Burge's parting shot seems to indicate a belief on the judge's part that we haven't heard the last of Daniel Petric and his supposed video game issues:
    But I believe there is hope here. I believe that it will start here and, uh, at some point when all is known about Daniel and what occurred here we will be able to achieve a greater sense of justice.
    Judge Comes Down Hard on Video Games in Halo 3 Murder Trial | GamePolitics

And we have him driven to insanity by Halo 3! On Trial: Halo 3 Shooter's Attorney Argues Insanity Due To Video Game Addiction

I really love the media when they get the video game industry in their sights....I wonder what the statistics are about people who DON'T shoot their parents and play video games to those who do........
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

What is interesting here aside from general judicial idiocy is the other way it manifests: the judge states that he believes the moron kid truly believes his parents would respawn the next day. Is that not basis for a finding of insanity? No sane mind could believe that.

-Rand
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
      What is interesting here aside from general judicial idiocy is the other way it manifests: the judge states that he believes the moron kid truly believes his parents would respawn the next day. Is that not basis for a finding of insanity? No sane mind could believe that.

-Rand
      i agree, and im sure that this kind of violence is not as uncommon as most people think that it is.

Comment

Oh yeah...

I've been warning people all along...I remember saying that it wasn't right when they made Q-bert jump on those wormy creatures...and Elevator Action...how could you shoot the spies without due process?

Comment

Originally posted by Skud View Post
          I've been warning people all along...I remember saying that it wasn't right when they made Q-bert jump on those wormy creatures...and Elevator Action...how could you shoot the spies without due process?
          and dont forget Duck Hunt and Earthworm Jim!!! WAY too violent lol

Comment

Pong started it all.
            Now you know why Monica Seles got knifed in 1993.
            Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
            Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
            I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
            Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
              by Apache Warrior
              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
            • Reply to 6 years
              by Sirex
              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
              Just hit 2.5K miles...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
              by Sirex
              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
              by Sirex
              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
              by Sirex
              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
            Working...
            X