No announcement yet.

Worst UT launch ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm afraid we are all not wrong, as it's all our opinions on the matter. The game is decent, not great. IMO.

I am not blood in blood out with Epic, some seem to be that way.

Comment

The game is decent, not great. IMO.
      I agree. There is tons of potential. The translocator is really cool but i get 30 fps just walking and dip to 15 fps during a shoot out with 1 or 2 people. Im sure as custom maps get made and people get used to the editor the maps will look better and be more fun. Maybe i just set my hopes to high and was expecting gears of war with ut weapons and movement.

It should be interesting to see how this game does after x-mas, maybe if more people play it and more custom content gets made the game will be worth a video card upgrade. Right now the numbers remind me of quake 4 though.

Comment

I just remembered this game came out tonight, but they released it with no changes from beta? The beta wasn't bad bugwise from the 5 or so hours I played it. The demo just seemed boring, and from this forum it looks like the game will end up like quake4, and great game that nobody plays. I didn't read up on ut3 before release, I just figured they'd continue the successful formula that was ut2k4. As a fps gamer since doom shareware, I hated all the unreal games till the 2k4 demo came out. The style and gameplay of that had me hooked. UT3 isn't bad, outside of the graphics it's just not really new.

Comment

Nice to see you again prong...

we where 2 of the survivors from quake 4.

DaNIGHT .

Comment

Originally posted by Nomadicus
            thinktank is absolutely right. What is abysmal is the dedicated server. The game is great. The server is horrific.

UT3 should have a few thousand servers out there -- most of which would have been home based -- if it wasn't for the total lack of server support. Many home based servers can now accommodate a 5v5 setup nicely.

IMO if the game dies, it will be because of lame server support.

The game is fantastic.
            The editor is beyond fantastic.
            While the server support has some glaring issues; there still aren't enough people playing online to even warrant more servers.

I don't quite buy the argument from the Linux folks that when the Linux dedicated server package is out; all of a sudden there will be a major influx of online players. Well, unless those people have all gotten together amongst themselves and made a pact to not set foot on any Windows-based server in the interim. (If they have; well that's just sad--because most of those clan members are running Windows at home, not Linux). Now when the Linux client is out there will be a player increase. Hard to say what the number would be on that if it doesn't happen soon.

And yes "Johnnie's Instag1b L0w-Grav Fath3ad Ultra-C00l DM WTF LOL!! S3rv3r" running on his DSL or cable line isn't showing on the browser from behind the NAT and I feel for Johnnie. But again, I don't think all of his friends have pledged to not play online either.

A real patch will help. Christmas will help some. In time, mods and custom content will ultimately help too. We can only hope all this is not too little, too late.
            --Slaughter

Comment

I've noticed recently that the player numbers are starting to pick up. We were 32/32 for a lot fo last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Premonition
                Nice to see you again prong...

we where 2 of the survivors from quake 4.

DaNIGHT .
                Ya, too bad that didn't take off.

Anyone else get an email from cain's lair saying to play CoD4? That really as popular as the email claims? I think I can get a free key for that, but if ut3 actually hits 32/32 here during the day I'd play that.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau
                  I've noticed recently that the player numbers are starting to pick up. We were 32/32 for a lot fo last night.
                  Yeah there were more people this weekend, but right now maybe 50 players. It takes an effort to get the server going, and as soon as it crashes, you have to start all over again. I hope this game takes off, but I think only great community support will help it live. It can't be a good sign when Cain moves the board down a couple.

Comment

I found out this weekend they where more people playing ont the V-CTF and Death match sever than any other sever so for me I haging in there with UT3 .

Comment

What gets me is, and I wish I can find the interview, Mark Rein was asked if UT3 will have the same marketing issues like UT2k4. I'm paraphrasing here but he responded something to the effect of, "When UT3 is released, you can bet everyone will know it."

I saw one lame 2 page spread last month in a magazine. No ads at all during release month. You go into Best Buy and they have these nice COD4 and Crysis displays on the end caps and then there's UT muddled with everything else. I know Epic is relying on Midway but they really need to step it up.
                      Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

I'm a little surprised your Best Buy advertises computer games at all. None of the ones near me do. They may have a few games on the ends, but never any kind of display.

On another topic, anyone still playing this game, or did everyone move to COD4? I'm not getting COD4 until after Xmas at the earliest, and want some peeps to play with and against.

-Rand
                        [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                        Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I still play.

Comment

I will play whenever I get home.
                            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR}
                              I'm a little surprised your Best Buy advertises computer games at all. None of the ones near me do. They may have a few games on the ends, but never any kind of display.

On another topic, anyone still playing this game, or did everyone move to COD4? I'm not getting COD4 until after Xmas at the earliest, and want some peeps to play with and against.

-Rand
                              Locally Target, select Game Stops, and BestBuy still have really healthy PC game inventories. EB games how ever does not, my Bestbuy's Crysis endcap is bigger than any EB games pc game inventory lol.
                              Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Oh, the inventory is there, somewhat (nothing like it was a few years ago), they just don't go for displays/standees at the local Best Buys.

They definitely have more copies of things they carry than either Game Stop or EB, but some of those stores have wider selections in titles still.

-Rand
                                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X