X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Evilization View Post
    the good old days......
    i support this idea
    I support too, It's been weird playing vanilla TDM after a while playing HC but i'm kind of used to it again, the only thing that change between HC and non-HC is that you're choice of gun definitely count at the end and also the aiming is much more important...

Comment

Sorry I couldn't make it...was studyin for a calc quiz i had tonight...pretty sure I owned it though Now I have to study for 2 exams tomorrow that I haven't even had time to study for until now! Going to Disney this weekend with family but I'll be back to the Lair next week (Might be able to play some Friday, too)
      Ahhh...the power of cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by [nmzl]f0x View Post
        I support too, It's been weird playing vanilla TDM after a while playing HC but i'm kind of used to it again, the only thing that change between HC and non-HC is that you're choice of gun definitely count at the end and also the aiming is much more important...
        Very true... shots to the chest take a while to kill HS still kill fast....

Comment

Ok guys, I really dont have a dog in this hunt, but here's what I see.

First thing is, we still had a fairly good following when CoD4 started to wain. Dont think it really mattered at that point if it was HC or regular, people still just wanted to play 4.

Then one day the plug was pulled and we went straight into DoD. So what happened to all the Cod4 players. They just went elsewhere and continued to play. The reason I know this is, I stuck with Cod4 because I couldnt play DoD with you guys. Just was too sucky for my location. But believe me, the Cod4 people where still out there.

Many servers where at HC and stayed full, mostly because of the European players that caused them to run mostly full 24/7.. probably because of the ping on some of the east coast servers.

Now fast forward to last couple of days. Cain made the corporate decision to bring back Cod4 in anticipation of priming the server for MW2. Good idea in itself, but there are a lot of Cod4 players that left us and found other servers because they didnt want to play DoD that we switched to.

So wether we play HC or regular doesnt matter at this point. We lost the guys that were loyal a long time ago. In our absence they found Cod4 servers that they like and just stayed for what ever reason. Whether it be a decent ping or friends. They still are there.

Now my premise is this. One day in the middle of the week I dont think is a good guage as to whether people like HC vs Regular.Maybe there where a lot of players that didnt play because we were at vanilla and just havent seen that we went back to HC yet.I don't think we can gauge it by how many regulars showed up. Its in the middle of the week for goodness sakes.

We still get new people that pass through. But everyone has to remember, that Codd4 is old now... real old. So that we wont have the following we once had before. And, that whether we play HC or Regular is really not the issue at this point. Everyone has been going out of their way to be friendly to people. It will just take time.

I think we need to leave it up until through the weekend and see if things pick up, just my opinion.If not,then I will stfu and wont say anything else.
          [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

I love HC and enjoyed the heck out of it last night !!!

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post

First thing is, we still had a fairly good following when CoD4 started to wain. Dont think it really mattered at that point if it was HC or regular, people still just wanted to play 4.

Then one day the plug was pulled and we went straight into DoD. So what happened to all the Cod4 players. They just went elsewhere and continued to play. The reason I know this is, I stuck with Cod4 because I couldnt play DoD with you guys. Just was too sucky for my location. But believe me, the Cod4 people where still out there.

Many servers where at HC and stayed full, mostly because of the European players that caused them to run mostly full 24/7.. probably because of the ping on some of the east coast servers.

Now fast forward to last couple of days. Cain made the corporate decision to bring back Cod4 in anticipation of priming the server for MW2. Good idea in itself, but there are a lot of Cod4 players that left us and found other servers because they didnt want to play DoD that we switched to.

So wether we play HC or regular doesnt matter at this point. We lost the guys that were loyal a long time ago. In our absence they found Cod4 servers that they like and just stayed for what ever reason. Whether it be a decent ping or friends. They still are there.

Now my premise is this. One day in the middle of the week I dont think is a good guage as to whether people like HC vs Regular.Maybe there where a lot of players that didnt play because we were at vanilla and just havent seen that we went back to HC yet.I don't think we can gauge it by how many regulars showed up. Its in the middle of the week for goodness sakes.

We still get new people that pass through. But everyone has to remember, that Codd4 is old now... real old. So that we wont have the following we once had before. And, that whether we play HC or Regular is really not the issue at this point. Everyone has been going out of their way to be friendly to people. It will just take time.

I think we need to leave it up until through the weekend and see if things pick up, just my opinion.If not,then I will stfu and wont say anything else.
              Wise words, Cobalt.

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                If i can make a suggestion.

Vanilla
                FF On
                Killcam On

Just one small change. Vanilla seems so strange without Killcam.
                I can't think of one server with FF that is popular. FF Off, Vanilla-chocolate-ice-cream, and KC on. Yes, you'll have a lot of 3x frag + marty + SMG players but you'll get them everywhere.

Old Cains Server = Win.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
                  I can't think of one server with FF that is popular. FF Off, Vanilla-chocolate-ice-cream, and KC on. Yes, you'll have a lot of 3x frag + marty + SMG players but you'll get them everywhere.

Old Cains Server = Win.
                  You are correct.

We are ALL Vanilla now !! Let's try to get some new folks this weekend ....

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post

Old Cains Server = Win.
                    Be quiet, you should be embarrased anyway as much as I killed you the other day.

I see what you're trying to do here. Vanilla gives the run and gunners the advantage from what I can tell. So you can run across the street without worrying about 1 or 2 rounds taking you down. I know its just a game but vanilla for the most part lets you throw more caution to the wind when you play. HC wont let you get away with a lot you get away with in vanilla. Whether thats fun or not is a matter of personal opinion. But if I am able to hit someone with 3 rounds from a P90, in all acuality they should die.

I also think that vanilla helps people that dont play all that well. It allows for juggernaut to play a big part. I cant tell you how many times I've seen that white cross come up when we played vanilla. HC not so much.

One other item is, I seen quite a few people leave the server because we have a few good players that are accused of hacking. I dont think there is a cure for that no matter what we do. Some people just dont deal well when they die all the time. I'm the exception.... I could care less about my score, I just like to play. But there are others that want to preserve their precious K/D ratio so much that they will only play where they can win all the time. Just the nature of the game.

I'll go on record (which most of you already know) as stating I like HC better because of my playing style. Plus you all know my ping sucks and its impossible for me to play vanilla at all. If I get the drop on somebody and they dont die from 3-4 shots at the onset, then I'm dead. Personally I dont think thats fair. But thats just me.

I just want whats best for the server. I'm just one person 8000 miles from nowhere. And I really dont have much say, one way or the other. Just offering my opinion. And we all know about opinions.
                    [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} Cobalt View Post

Then one day the plug was pulled and we went straight into DoD.

Actually it was much more complex than this. We had a very busy thriving COD4 Server, then we added COD5 and sort of fractured our Community, because we believed people would migrate to the newer game.

At about the same time LogicSouth completely changed their Internet access and all of our players started screaming bloody murder about how jerky and laggy the gameplay was, then all the other folks stopped playing here and our numbers fell off a cliff. I spent tons of time trying to rectify this problem but at the end of the day our hardware could not overcome our bandwidth/routing issues.

The bottom line is what killed off COD4 was our server's internet access, and what started to out a dent into it was COD5.

Anyhow I'm leasing a server now in hopes we can provide the best possible gameplay for the highest number of folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
                        Actually it was much more complex than this. We had a very busy thriving COD4 Server, then we added COD5 and sort of fractured our Community, because we believed people would migrate to the newer game.

At about the same time LogicSouth completely changed their Internet access and all of our players started screaming bloody murder about how jerky and laggy the gameplay was, then all the other folks stopped playing here and our numbers fell off a cliff. I spent tons of time trying to rectify this problem but at the end of the day our hardware could not overcome our bandwidth/routing issues.

The bottom line is what killed off COD4 was our server's internet access, and what started to out a dent into it was COD5.

Anyhow I'm leasing a server now in hopes we can provide the best possible gameplay for the highest number of folks.
                        See this is the kind of stuff we need to hear. So I for one wont go spewing off at the mouth. I know there are a lot of behind the scenes stuff that happens that we never hear about. So we dont know your thinking on an issue.

Maybe in the future you could possibly keep us up to date on issues so we might can understand a little better. I know you're not obligated to do so and you shouldnt be. But it will save us a lot of bs debate as to why we think the way we do. I for one being chief. When things are made clear to us, we sleep better. And I know you dont want to be responsible for us losing sleep.

Ps: what kind of costs are involved that you have to lease a server instead of owning one outright. I'm ignorant on this stuff, never been involved with anything pertaining to gaming servers. We need to talk.

Comment

I thought the LS server issues were news everybody knew. One moment you'd be one place on the map, then all of a sudden you'd warp to the other side of the map. It was, for a better word, horrendous.

Cain is right in that the server issues and COD5 fractured the community. This is why we need all the players we still have here at the Lair to help out as much as possible.

***Yes i'm looking at you! The people who have the game but still haven't played on the server!***

Comment

Thanks for the note Cobalt !!

All this server business, like most other things, is much more complex that it appears to be on the surface.

Like I said, COD4 was still up when COD5 went up and until LS started having issues it stayed very busy, and I had no intention of pulling it down. I only pulled it when the player numbers had dropped off the table and the quality of the server experience was nowhere near what folks expect from a "Cain's Lair" server.

The other thing that I have said about 85 Ga-Gillion times, but bears repeating once more, is that it takes many more players to keep a server busy than ever come here to our Forums, or post a thing.

We have about 25-50 steady posters in these Forums, and to keep a 48 player server takes about 18,000 unique players connecting, playing a while, then dropping, while others connect and play a while.

So always remember that getting and keeping a server busy involves trying to understand and figure out the likes and preferences of a large group of folks - whose feedback I never get.

-- Cain

PS the rental for our COD4 server is about $75/month.

Comment

I understand and will play no matter what version you play buy, I like HC best.
                              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                                I understand and will play no matter what version you play buy, I like HC best.
                                Apache
                                +1
                                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
                                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X