scsi VS sata

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scsi VS sata

Back in the day when I built my last game server, SCSI drives used a fraction of the server's CPU, vs any flavor of IDE.

Now that we have SATA Drives, are they as easy on server CPU as SCSI drives are, particularly when the drive is really churining to load very large files ???

scsi is still faster than sata is, not sure by how much and what kind of performance we're talking about here though.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Don't get SCSI or SATA. Go for Serial Attached SCSI (SAS). Same speed as SCSI (or better), plus you can plug standard SATA drives into the controller if need be.

SAS is basically going to be the new standard for server storage, but it will also be the most expensive. SCSI/SAS drives still go for a little over double the price per gigabyte than SATA drives. If you can't swing SAS, at least stick with SCSI. The lower latency and access times alone are worth the price of admission for servers

Comment

SAS already is the new standard, and most enterprise solutions use it due to the small overhead.

Comment

Hmmm I'll ask around at work seeing as I work in at a storage vendor. I thought Fibre Channel was the bomb!

Comment

Originally posted by mapes
            Hmmm I'll ask around at work seeing as I work in at a storage vendor. I thought Fibre Channel was the bomb!
            Fiber Channel is just a protocol to move the data over fiber. You still have to have drives at the other end, typically scsi or sata attached to the FCP (Fiber Channel Protocol) controller.

But you're right that devices fiber attached are faster (typically) than connected via wire.
            A change of Pace.
            "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Originally posted by paceman
              Originally posted by mapes
              Fiber Channel is just a protocol to move the data over fiber. You still have to have drives at the other end, typically scsi or sata attached to the FCP (Fiber Channel Protocol) controller.

But you're right that devices fiber attached are faster (typically) than connected via wire.

I thought they're was some error correction going on too?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                by Apache Warrior
                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
              • Reply to 6 years
                by Sirex
                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                by Sirex
                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                by Sirex
                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                by Sirex
                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
              Working...
              X