No announcement yet.

Routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or you could use something along the lines of http://www.smoothwall.org/ It's a firewall as well as a router built in to one. Of course you need to have a third computer with at least 2 network interfaces for it to work completely.
    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110
      Or you could use something along the lines of http://www.smoothwall.org/ It's a firewall as well as a router built in to one. Of course you need to have a third computer with at least 2 network interfaces for it to work completely.
      Almost all routers out there will have some sort of firewall functionality built in. While being able to run a third computer as a router is neat, its not too practical for Kenshin and Tails since they don't even have a second computer yet

You know, the more I look at it, the more that 3Com router looks like its much better than the rest.

- Stateful packet inspection firewall with hacker pattern detection
      - Virtual DMZ
      - NAT/PAT (with TCP and UDP)

A router with these security features = a good thing

Comment

Don't poopoo the wireless routers just yet. They add a lot of future functionality. And, most have four wired ports for standard ethernet. This is one of the times I would have a feature and not use it than need a feature and not have it (unless cost is a major consideration, or you are concerned about no major headway in the "N" standard in recent months).

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFire
          Almost all routers out there will have some sort of firewall functionality built in. While being able to run a third computer as a router is neat, its not too practical for Kenshin and Tails since they don't even have a second computer yet

You know, the more I look at it, the more that 3Com router looks like its much better than the rest.

- Stateful packet inspection firewall with hacker pattern detection
          - Virtual DMZ
          - NAT/PAT (with TCP and UDP)

A router with these security features = a good thing
          Another thing to consider to about running a linux or other host based router is power. Small embeded routers consume much less power and if it freaks out you can just hit the reset button(I know you can boot off cd on some router distros but, whatever).

As for statefull firewall, NAT and a DMZ I bet all routers sold have those options considering they were high tech about 15 years ago.

One thing I would not worry about is VPN stuff. If your going to be connecting to a company VPN they generally provide you with a software client and also not all IPSec implementations inter operate easily.

WEP is not that easy to crack as you make out. Yes there are two modes of WEP shared key and WEP challenge response. Never use challenge response. As that mode is easy to crack. Basically the attacker just needs to XOR the challenge and response and they have the key. Shared key is much harder to crack. WEP initially got a bad rep because when the AP was setting up whats basically it's random number generator it was easy to predict some of those "random" numbers. Most implementations of WEP now deal with that major flaw. Yes it can still be cracked but, it requires an attacker to capture lots of traffic.

One thing that buy's you nothing is MAC locking. Don't even bother with that as it gets you nothing. In general as long as your running the companies lastest firmware you should be ok with wep.

I do agree Pre Shared Key WPA is much better although depending on how old your clients are some may not support it.

As for why I like Netgear and Belkins over Dlink and Linksys it's just a feel. The Dlinks and Linksys just over all feel like products that are not as polished. Do they work for the most part yeah.

last note about wifi if your using 802.11 B or G they operate in the 2.4 Ghz range which many other devices do as well. Like cordless phones and Bluetooth devices. You maynot have a cordless phone but, your neighbor might.

Comment

I would go with Linksys, I have a number of their routers, and havent had a problem since

Comment

Originally posted by Kyler721
              I have a Linksys WRTG54 router. Basic, simple to set up, cheap, effective, and provides a 128 Bit encryption. No problems to complain about, just the rare disconnect...my sister has too many computers on the internet at the same time
              i also have the wrt54g, it works

Comment

WRT54G here as well and it works great. Have had it for a few years and no real problems. Not sure on the technicality of it, as I'm not a tech guy, but hey, if it works, thats good enough for me hehe
                [this is where my funky sig would go. But I don't have one.
                So all you get is this crappy text]

Comment

I cant say enough good things about my DLINK. Its been nothing but pure gaming goodness since I got it.

Comment

I have the Dlink DGL4300, it's pricey but it rocks. They came out with a N version but that'll have to wait until after my new build.
                    Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

I'd recommend Linksys. Matter of fact, I have 3 Linksys products. I have 2 of the WRTs; one is running the normal firmware, and I have a custom firmware (OpenWRT) on the other, which is basically just a scaled-down linux machine. Complete with SSH access, package managers, etc. Then I have one of the extenders (WRE54G I believe?).

The signal strength in my house is complete garbage, no matter what router/brand I try. With all of the other wireless devices, neighbours with WiFi, etc., there's a lot of interference. I even have one of those phone sets that sync 3 handsets to one base station, all on the 2.4GHz spectrum.

So, get this...

On the top floor, I have the stock WRT connected to the modem. I have a laptop and my main PC wired to that. Then spread out along the rest of the floor is another very old (rarely used) laptop, another PC, a Wii, and a PS3, all connected wirelessly.

In the basement, I have another PC connected to the router with the custom firmware, which acts as a bridge. The PC is wired to that, which then connects to the other router and extender.

On the main floor, I have a wireless extender hidden in the corner to ensure that the link between the top floor and the basement is nice and strong. It also helps with reception outside.

An iPod Touch and a business laptop also connect wirelessly.

The fun part is they all have the same ESSID and keys, so you just configure one connection, and the strongest signal is usually the one you connect to.

So... As you can tell, I like Linksys. It manages to handle all of those connections without any trouble. The one running the custom firmware has lasted a few years already, and it doesn't look like it intends to die any time soon.

Comment

I've had issues with 2 WRT54G's. Kept dropping the connection totally and had to hard reboot to get them working again, so I stay clear of Linksys now. Have a Belkin router that's been chugging away for well over a year and haven't had an issue with it yet. Although I think Linksys's problem stem more from the firmware than hardware necessarily, put a custom Linux firmware on the WRT54G to play around with it and didn't get the same problems anymore (and it had Linksys's newest firmware, I made sure of that). Linksys seems to be hit and miss from all I've read and heard about.
                        [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
                        [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I've had issues with 2 WRT54G's. Kept dropping the connection totally and had to hard reboot to get them working again, so I stay clear of Linksys now. Have a Belkin router that's been chugging away for well over a year and haven't had an issue with it yet. Although I think Linksys's problem stem more from the firmware than hardware necessarily, put a custom Linux firmware on the WRT54G to play around with it and didn't get the same problems anymore (and it had Linksys's newest firmware, I made sure of that). Linksys seems to be hit and miss from all I've read and heard about.
                          I've seen that at three or four friends houses. Tried everything to fix it, FW upgrade, factory reset replace cabling, Cleaning up the clients...etc.... Ended up buying a less cheap router to fix the prob.

Comment

Yeah, that's why I go on a case-by-case basis when considering a router. Even different revisions of the same "model" can have vastly different performance. This can lead to some people strongly recommending a router, and others decrying the same router as crap.

Nothing is as cut and dry when it comes to networking as it looks on the surface.

Oh, and Mapes, yeah, you're right WEP isn't quite as bad as I made it out to be. It does provide some level of protection. Its just WPA is superior and provides better out-of-the-box security for the average user than WEP. So why not use it, as long as all your wireless products support it

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonFire
                              Yeah, that's why I go on a case-by-case basis when considering a router. Even different revisions of the same "model" can have vastly different performance. This can lead to some people strongly recommending a router, and others decrying the same router as crap.

Nothing is as cut and dry when it comes to networking as it looks on the surface.

Oh, and Mapes, yeah, you're right WEP isn't quite as bad as I made it out to be. It does provide some level of protection. Its just WPA is superior and provides better out-of-the-box security for the average user than WEP. So why not use it, as long as all your wireless products support it
                              I agree with the WPA statement. I was just pointing out that you need a lot of traffic to crack wep and some clients don't support it is all.

As for my opinion of DLinkSys it's a perfectly valid opinion. My reasons for disliking them is because I feel they are an inferior product. Will they work for most applications sure. However it's worth the 20 dollar price diff to me to possible side step a possibility of issues and not waste my time on such things. You also must understand my opinion comes not from one install of aforementioned brands but, many. For six years I worked as a contracted network engineer for small and medium sized businesses installing among other things DSL routers. I also have experience in the development of networking gear having worked for the last 7 years as a QA engineer testing enterprise grade network equipment. To me the DlinkSys products seem to be made as cheaply as possible.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                              Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                              widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X