This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PunkBuster Problems ???

First download, and run PBsetup, this will enable the proper PB Services, then connect and throw a grenade of shoot somebody, if you get kicked, then:

Manually update your PB Files:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=dl-cod4.php

PunkBuster (COD4) Security Files
    The following files are only needed if your PunkBuster doesn't update by itself. Right click the appropriate link below and choose "save as" to your "pb" folder - make sure the file you save is saved with the filename shown below.
    # For Players Filename: pbsec.htm
    # For Admins Filename: pbsecsv.htm

PunkBuster (COD4) Player Client Files
    The following files are only needed if your PunkBuster doesn't update by itself. Right click the appropriate links below and choose "save as" to your "pb\htm" folder - make sure the file you save is saved with the filename shown below. Players only need the files that correspond to their Operating System, Server Admins need all six files.
    # PB Client v2.032 for Win32 Filename: wc002032.htm
    # PB ClientA v1394 for Win32 Filename: wa001394.htm

# PB Client v2.032 for Linux Filename: lc002032.htm
    # PB ClientA v1394 for Linux Filename: la001394.htm
    # PB Client v2.032 for Mac Filename: mc002032.htm
    # PB ClientA v1394 for Mac Filename: ma001394.htm

Frequently Asked Questions about PunkBuster for Call of Duty 4

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=faq-cod4.php

How do I enable PunkBuster?

At the game's main screen, press Ctrl+ALt+tilde key (the ~ key) to bring down the console. Then type in this line (without the quotes): "pb_cl_enable". You should see text displayed showing the PB Client version number and also saying that PB is now Enabled. If not, you should reinstall the latest game update patch and make sure that PunkBuster is installed as part of that patch update installation.

========

==

1) go into your pb folder and stay there don't close it
    2) delete all the PB files and Folders, do not delete the main PB folder
    3) paste a copy of pbsetup.exe from: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php
    4) run pbsetup.exe inside that folder so it will install bran new PB files and folders
    5) close folder and everything else
    6) go play some cod4 your done! it shouldn't give you that *WARNING* message anymore.

The 'communication problem' I had was due to additional components that were not installed by the copy included in the CoD4 download or in the manual PBSetup download, as explained in another FAQ on their site here: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsvcfaq.php

Once I ran the PBSVC setup (linked in that FAQ) I was able to play with no problems (other than getting pwned by *everybody*)
    Kusanagi

Comment

I recently updated my Punkbuster because I was being kicked for 0 minutes, I didnt have a problem until today when I got kicked by PB from the Cain's server for unmatched MD tool or something like that. The funny thing is I don't get kicked from other servers I frequent. PB kicked me for 5 minutes...anyone know what this could be?

Comment

Originally posted by A1B2C3CAL
        I recently updated my Punkbuster because I was being kicked for 0 minutes, I didnt have a problem until today when I got kicked by PB from the Cain's server for unmatched MD tool or something like that. The funny thing is I don't get kicked from other servers I frequent. PB kicked me for 5 minutes...anyone know what this could be?
        We run a very tight ship here. So PB is more likely to kick you for the smallest of things.

I'm not sure exactly but iirc MD or MD5 is a way of checking for non corrupt files, or something.

Try manually updating PB again. get back to me if it doesn't work.

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Comment

MD5, or md5sum, is a method of hash checking a file; that is, checking whether or not a file has been corrupt or modified in any way from the original.

I'm not sure how much of this really applies here, but here's a rough overview of the topic. There are tools available that help you run md5 checks. I use the free winMd5Sum. The way it works is you select the file you want to check, and then select its .md5 file. It then compares the file against the md5 hash to see if everything checks out. If it doesn't, you know something's wrong with the file.

If it is indeed an MD5 error that you're getting, try updating, then maybe completely reinstalling PunkBuster.

EDIT: Oh, also, you can create an .md5 file using winMd5Sum for the possibly corrupt file in question, and if you send it to someone here, we can check your md5 against ours. If there isn't a match, it's probably corrupt.

Comment

I manually updated and then was able to play in the server without incident. I wonder if I should just try a uninstall and then reinstall of CoD4. I have DL turned to off but I wonder if I could of picked something up from another server. Time for me to spyware/virus check and defrag Ive been getting some lag tonight..more than normal. (mostly spikes)
            It could be because my internet provider is busy tonight with kids getting in games before the school week starts.
            Edit: Thank you for all the help!

Comment

You should not need to uninstall and reinstall unless you added some files, like new player skins, or gun models or something lie that.

Always keep your install with only the official files from the game and only official patches, and you'll be fine.

Comment

Yea, thats why I have DL turned off I remember how many servers in CoD2 were running mods! I don't like having things auto DL into my PC..
                I am anxious to see user made maps though...LARGER than the official ones I hope.

Comment

I hate punkbuster, I can't make this crap work. I'm literally pissed off so much. I spent all damn day trying to get this freaking game to work and I can't because punkbuster's got something stuck up it's ass.

I'd really prefer playing a game with 1 cheater then not being able to play at all!!!

Non of that worked for me btw. I can't setup punkbuster because I'm missing some ridiculous file blah blah blah. I've had too many problems with punkbuster

Comment

this application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. <- it hasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by thedeadlyassassin
                      this application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. <- it hasn't.
                      Behold, the power of

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl....shtml?msvcp71

This is an MS C run-time library that PB perhaps might need to run properly. Why not download it and give it a shot? Put it in your C:\windows\system32 folder

Hope that helps.

Edit: Updated link.....old one had expired, new one just links to site where link is located.

Comment

If you go the route of re-installing PB make sure you uninstall it.

If you have uninstalled the client, reinstalled it, and are having problems such as the .dll error. See below:

WORDS OF CAUTION IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE

First, do not do this if you have no idea how to work with the registry.
                        PERIOD end of story. I cannot tell you how often people dive in and think that simply backing up the registry will save you from an error.

Second, if you do go this route, be sure that you are reading the descriptions in each case BEFORE you eliminate an entry.
                        There are some entries in your registry that are similar to the PB entry, and you will need these to keep your operating system stable.

Third, I recommend this route as the final step, not the first step. There are some very good reccommendations in this thread, and thsi one problem will occur infrequently. I suspect that it occurs for me because I do not own a hard copy of this game because I purchased it through Steam.

Try running regedit and clicking ctrl + f

Sometimes there are little remenents in the registry that bug the reinstall (at least this was the case for me) by missing the entries that I assume are created upon first run of the application.

Comment

Noob dupe post-

After you hit ctrl + F you will put in terms to search the registry by for punk buster.

Being that I dont want to take responsibility for errors around this idea, I wil let you come up with search terms on your own.

Comment

This is a tutorial I have created for another website for those interested or having trouble with PB.

HOW TO FIX COMFAIL AND OTHER PUNKBUSTER RELATED ERRORS IN CALL OF DUTY FOUR .... Call of Duty 4 .... COD4 (for search engines)

Right now you might want to hold down your CTRL key and strike the " D " key to add this to your favorites.

Let's Begin

STEP ONE:
                            THIS FILE is from evenbalance's website, a program named pbsvc.exe. First thing you will need to know is that you may have to run this on multiple occasions because sometimes when you reboot your computer or exit the game improperly, vista is all screwy and you may get the COMFAIL error at a future date... for whatever reason... so here is the file.... you may choose to download or run it .. whatever... save it to desktop... just do it.

http://www.evenbalance.com/downloads/pbsvc/pbsvc.exe

STEP TWO:
                            RUN THE FILE. The file will stop running at ONE POINT and wait for you to click "NEXT". After running the file, you should have NO ERRORS when it says "FINISHED". IF you have an error, then your punkbuster is not installed correctly or files are missing. You will know you have an error because when the "FINISHED" button becomes clickable there is a confirmation box that pops up and says "Tests completed successfully without any errors.".

If you DO see the prompt that says "Tests completed successfully without any errors", then skip down to STEP FIVE.

If you do not see the prompt that says "Tests completed successfully without any errors", then you have an error and you missed it while you were picking your nose or eating the booger.. Proceed to STEP THREE.

STEP THREE:
                            You had errors. OK no big deal. NOW, your punkbuster is having problems communicating with a punkbuster enabled server. You should now download this file:

http://websec.evenbalance.com/downlo...ws/pbsetup.exe

AFTER YOU RUN THIS FILE, it will INSTALL punkbuster to your pc. It may say something like "since this is the first time you have run pbsetup, it needs to check for updates"... click ok and let it.

Click I AGREE to the eula when it pops up and then you will get a confirmation popup that says "Punkbuster will now restart". Click ok.

The EULA will pop up again and click "I AGREE". NOW we are getting close.
                            You will now see a box with a title for Punkbuster v2.7 (currently) and there are no games listed in the box. OF COURSE you must click on the "ADD A GAME" button.

A dialog box will pop up. Out beside the word "GAME" there is a blank field with a drop down arrow. CLICK IT! Find Call of Duty 4 in the drop down. Select it and click OK. PAY ATTENTION GIRLS and stop wafting your farts from your crotch to your face!

NOW you should not have a blank box anymore and you should see Call of Duty 4 in the box. If you don't .. you're not paying attention and you'll stand a better chance of wiping your butt with a bed sheet, so start over. For those of you who miraculously made it this far, CLICK ON Call of Duty 4 so that it is highlighted in this box and then click on the "CHECK FOR UPDATES" button above it.

Punkbuster Setup will NOW restart because you've just updated to version 3.0. Click the OK button. Click I agree to the EULA once again.

THIS IS WHERE IT GETS TRICKY so don't try to unbunch your panties just yet. Once you agree to the EULA punkbuster will now restart, except it still says version 2.7 in the title bar, BUT you should still have COD4 in this box. You could keep going on and on by highlighting COD4 and clicking on "Check for Updates" but it will do the same thing.. over ... and over again. SO NOW what you will want to do is click on the button that says "QUIT" and proceed to STEP FOUR.

STEP FOUR:
                            Congratulations! If you are still alive at this point. You will need to START AT STEP ONE again of this tutorial. If you get stuck and have a FAILED error when running the pbsvc.exe (NOT PBSETUP.EXE !) AGAIN then you will need to go to evenbalance's website and submit a support ticket here:

http://evenbalance.com/troubleticket....php?game=cod4

If you have to do so, you may even submit a link to this thread with your ticket and they may or may not look it over. You will not need to proceed to any further steps in this tutorial unless your assumptions are correct, and you screwed it up on the first try.

STEP FIVE:
                            IF you ran the file named "pbsvc.exe" (NOT PBSETUP.EXE !) and saw a confirmation box that says "finished without any errors", then you should IMMEDIATELY reboot your computer, and then once rebooted, you should be able to open the game and play without error.

SIDE NOTE
                            IF you ever exit the game improperly, or your computer crashes while playing, you will probably have to re-run the "pbsvc.exe" file (NOT PBSETUP.EXE !) AFTER you run this file, you should get "finished without any errors". When you get the "finished without any errors" confirmation click on "Finished" and you MUST REBOOT IMMEDIATELY before trying to run the game or you will have to run it again.

"If this helps you get it going, please reply and say thanks to Cainslair.com and dark4se.com by considering a donation of a few dollars to keep such gaming and support available to you. (ADMIN, please insert donation link here if available).

See you in the game!
                            Call of Duty 4 ... it's what's for dinner.

-IRC-MIKE click for servers I play on http://www.gametracker.com/player/-I...=&min_minutes=
                            -IRC-MIKE on COD4 Tracker.com http://cod4tracker.com/playerstats/-IRC-MIKE/

Comment

Why when the server is full would I get the error "Too Many Triangles" when tryin to pull up the pb_plist?

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X