modding cencorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

modding cencorship

ESA Demand removal of Wii Mod videos from YouTube - How dare they!

Youtube sent to us one of their automated e-mail's which notified us that a video of the CycloWiz install has been REMOVED due to instruction from the ESA. The subject of the mail was 'DMCA Notice' while the actual mail from Youtube state that they ESA believed the instllation video was infringing. While there is nothing we can do about the video being removed, it seem as if the ESA has demanded for more Wii mod related videos to be REMOVED from the medium, with just a few remaining (no doubt they will be gone too). The video had NO copyright soundtrack, NO images, just an open motherboard, a Cyclowiz and a soldering iron with a white glove. How on earth is such a video infringing, while videos of Saddam being hanged remain freely on Youtube. Another example of optression of ideas and corporate controlling of the media. Please share your thoughts on the matter as per usual in the forums. Help spread the word on this latest bout of overt censorship and DIGG THIS!

quote:

This is to notify you that we have removed or disabled access to the following material as a result of a third-party notification by Entertainment Software Association claiming that this material is infringing:

CycloWiz Installation Video

Please Note: Repeat incidents of copyright infringement will result in the deletion of your account and all videos uploaded to that account. In order to avoid future strikes against your account, please delete any videos to which you do not own the rights, and refrain from uploading additional videos that infringe on the copyrights of others. For more information about YouTube's copyright policy, please read the Copyright Tips guide.

Infringing on what exactly? Infringing on YouTube's ethos as a community driven video website, subject to removal of content at the drop of a hat without valid reason.
    http://digg.com/gaming_news/ESA_dema...s_from_YouTube

My question is, is this censorship?
    You can find information on just about anything online. Yes i can understand that a modded wii could be used for piracy to play backuped games. But This is not about what could be done but rather the information of how to do it.

If i opened my computer and added a new video card video i doubt that would be considered illegal by HP. So this reminds me of saying "cops" the tv show is teaching people how to do crimes
    They explain how robbery is committed and exactly what crooks do. they show video of it on national tv.

So what do you think. Is the process of learning something against a copywrite? utube has been in the middle of controversy these days with video of just about everything. But what copywrite stops you from opening a console and doing what you want with it.

I can understand nintendo not wanting to see instructional video on how to mod the wii. But is it cencorship?
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%
    i dunno ?
    0%

I don't know. I would want to say that it is censorship but the whole thing about using backed upped games makes me think that they may have an argument.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Im just assuming, thats why they wanna stop it. I dont have a wii so i dont really know much about modding them. Im guessing if its a mod chip, that it has the ability.

I could be wrong on that though. I just think going after a installation video is a infringement on copywrite. You would think they would go after the people who make the chip rather than someone making a video on how to install one.

Comment

It's BS pure and simple. Companies are are throwing around cease and desist letters basedthe DMCA which is a stupid law. The DCMA says anything that could be used for copyright infringment is illeagle. Completely Ignoring the the intenet of the user. Technicly ripping music that you own to mp3 format is illeagle. As for running mod chips that isn't illeagle either. It has to do with the intent. If you made legitemate back up copies of your games and never distributed them to any one and only used em when your game disc got messed up thats totaly legal. Thats called fair use. this is why I'll never buy an Ipod or buy music from the Itunes store.

Case in point. All of my music is on a webserver. The webserver is password protected only I and my wife have access. I can listen to my music from anywhere in the world. My wife has an Ipod with music from Itunes. To put her music on our web server I first have to make a CD of it then rip that CD to mp3. I'm not pirating music or sharing it. I just want to listen to it on a different device. Thats called fair use. that fiar use is what the RIAA and the MPAA is trying to take away from you!

Comment

BTW your poll question is wrong its not a question of censorship but a question of copyright infringement.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
          Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
            by Apache Warrior
            6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
          • Reply to 6 years
            by Sirex
            I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
            Just hit 2.5K miles...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
          • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
            by Sirex
            Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
          • Reply to Hell Let Loose
            by Sirex
            Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
          • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
            by Sirex
            Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
          Working...
          X