Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Reversing Accidental Steam Bans......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Reversing Accidental Steam Bans......

And to think, people say VAC is better then PunkBuster. where they at???? At least they admit something happen. On a personal note; man, I was playing MW2 multiplayer on PC yesterday

Valve Reversing Accidental Steam Bans, Apologizing with Free Copy of Left 4 Dead 2

Valve Reversing Accidental Steam Bans, Apologizing with Free Copy of Left 4 Dead 2
    Modern Warfare 2 users who were banned due to a false positive from VAC getting free Left 4 Dead 2 for their trouble

If you own the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, you may have found yourself banned from Steam due to a technical glitch. Thousands of users were affected by the problem, which prompted Valve founder Gabe Newell to issue a formal apology.
    In a message to those affected, Newell said that the glitch occurred due to a "combination of conditions" that occurred while Steam was updating the disk image of Modern Warfare 2.

The problem caused Valve's anti-cheat program to erroneously detect that a cheat was active, resulting in some 12,000 accidental bans over the course of two weeks.

The bans have now been reversed, and Valve has sent out free copies of Left 4 Dead 2 to those affected.

"This was our mistake," Newell wrote, "and I apologize for any frustration or angst it may have caused you."

Valve Bans Modern Warfare Players By Mistake, Apologizes With Free Left 4 Dead 2

Hello,
    Recently, your Steam account was erroneously banned from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

This was our mistake, and I apologize for any frustration or angst it may have caused you.

The problem was that Steam would fail a signature check between the disk version of a DLL and a latent memory version. This was caused by a combination of conditions occurring while Steam was updating the disk image of a game. This wasn't a game-specific mistake. Steam allows us to manage and reverse these erroneous bans (about 12,000 erroneous bans over two weeks).

We have reversed the ban, restoring your access to the game. In addition, we have given you a free copy of Left 4 Dead 2 to give as a gift on Steam, plus a free copy for yourself if you didn't already own the game.

To share your extra copy of Left 4 Dead 2 with a friend, you can 'Manage Gifts and Guest Passes' from the 'Games' Menu in Steam, or visit this article on the Steam Support site for detailed instructions: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...4502-TPJL-2656.

To access your own copy of Left 4 Dead 2, visit your library of games in Steam. If you didn't already own the game, it will now be listed among your others there, and is available for download immediately.

Regards,
    Gabe Newell
    President, Valve

There are a bunch of folks that do need/have needed banning. Of course VAC and Punkbuster seem about equally effective.

Comment

LOL they should ban all MW2 players. It seems that 94% of them are hacking.

VAC, Microsoft, or bunkbuster all do not do anything without admins. Admins are there for a reason. PB can't find a stinking hack in a [1SK] clan meeting.

Comment

This is clearly false. 94% is a large number man. Of all the time that I played the pc version. I recall I incounter 4 times someone is aimbot. And most of the time people calling hack cause they get own... I still rather have pb over vac.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
          This is clearly false. 94% is a large number man. Of all the time that I played the pc version. I recall I incounter 4 times someone is aimbot. And most of the time people calling hack cause they get own... I still rather have pb over vac.
          BRO, you do not play games anymore. 20 minute games don't count. I gave it too many chances and almost every single match had at LEAST clear 2-3 aimbots.

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
            BRO, you do not play games anymore. 20 minute games don't count. I gave it too many chances and almost every single match had at LEAST clear 2-3 aimbots.

Man, I told you BFBC2 crash to desktop on my PC. Sometimes when a new match start, I crash. When I pick a different class, I crash. I hate playing engineer in BFBC2 cause its the least class I crash. Maybe its cause I'm a AMD and not Intel. dont know.

Since no one wants to play MW2 cause of reskin COD4, boycott or aimbot, I got tired of playing with random group of people calling aimbot (boy cry wolf) every 5 mins. So I play MW2 on Xbox360 everyday. Also as to why you dont see me playing online much, I been hooked on the Xbox360. I just recently got tired of MW2. I need more maps

Comment

I play mw2 occasionally, maybe see an aimbotter once every 10-15 matches if that. There are just some good players out there.

Personally i go with the run + gun method on mw2. Dual mp5s with dual g18s as backup.
              Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

I have yet to try MW2 online. I got it for Christmas and finished the SP but never had the desire to MP.
                [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
                <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

All I heard was blahblahblahxboxblahblahignored.

Build a new PC that isn't held by ducktape and powered by AMDefects.

Comment

All I heard was blahblahblahxboxblahblahignored.

Build a new PC that isn't held by ducktape and powered by AMDefects.
                    then dont respond if your not going to read what I wrote

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
                      then dont respond if your not going to read what I wrote
                      lol I read those POOR excuses. Your game crashes? Fix it. You don't even log into xfire unless you wanna ask me something. X-fire crashes too? The hell kinda rusty bucket for a computer do you have?

Look, anyways- why would I care anymore. You didn't even play Alien Swarm which u pretty much advertised more than Valve themselves lol

Comment

lol I read those POOR excuses. Your game crashes? Fix it. You don't even log into xfire unless you wanna ask me something. X-fire crashes too? The hell kinda rusty bucket for a computer do you have?

Look, anyways- why would I care anymore. You didn't even play Alien Swarm which u pretty much advertised more than Valve themselves lol
                        Cause you dont log on to Steam, and the only way to get to you is xfire.

Comment

I'll .. uhh .. take that free gifted LFD2 if anyone wants to send it my way ...
                          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                          Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                            by Apache Warrior
                            6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                          • Reply to 6 years
                            by Sirex
                            I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                            Just hit 2.5K miles...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                          • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                            by Sirex
                            Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                          • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                            by Sirex
                            Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                          • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                            by Sirex
                            Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                            5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                          Working...
                          X