Getting Nuts with Privacy on Facebook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Nuts with Privacy on Facebook

Okay, I think it's great that FB has it's privacy options...however, I think some users go a little overboard when locking their profile down (or Facebook even allowing this)

I think I wound up recreating a profile on FB and had to re-add some friends, and typically, I have to do this by searching their name.

Like once, there's this real life friend of mine I had on a former acct, but I had to add him again.

I did a search on his FULL name, and nothing showed up, and I couldn't figure out why...turns out, he made it so no one could do a search on him, he actually had to CALL me on my phone, undo his privacy so I could search for him TO add him, then put him back on private again.

Also, I've noticed that some profiles don't even allow and "add" friend button, or you can't even send them a message.

Or even MORE confusing, You could ADD them as a friend, but couldn't send them a message, even BETTER...you know that little message box that allows you to send them a message ALONG WITH, the "add friend", won't allow you to put a message there either, but you could ADD them, so you can't say, "Hey, I'm just adding you"

FB is getting too crazy with it's privacy options, agreed?

FB isn't my thing so I don't know how it works but aren't the privacy settings set up by each user? So I would think your beef would be with the user.
    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Duke's right, so my answer is "no, not agreed." It's not Facebook's role to facilitate all of us in whatever Stalker setting we feel is appropriate to us.

-Rand
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
        Duke's right, so my answer is "no, not agreed." It's not Facebook's role to facilitate all of us in whatever Stalker setting we feel is appropriate to us.

-Rand
        +1 Search for me on FB. You won't find me, I keep it locked up tight. My wife tagged me in some photo's she uploaded from a family day at the lake over the summer... I untagged myself in all of them, asked her kindly not to ever tag me again. I'd like to keep my privacy.
        [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
        <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} ObiTroy View Post
          +1 Search for me on FB. You won't find me, I keep it locked up tight. My wife tagged me in some photo's she uploaded from a family day at the lake over the summer... I untagged myself in all of them, asked her kindly not to ever tag me again. I'd like to keep my privacy.
          Actually, I think had some friends that were UN-aware of how "locked up tight" they actually were.

Also, how can you add a friend if that "friend" button was unavailable?

Comment

Originally posted by {CLR} ObiTroy View Post
            Think I could find you on Cain's friends list? lol

Comment

Yep. And that's fine.
              [SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
              <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

Common sense is to check your privacy settings. There has been notifications at the top of facebook concerning the changes that have been made.
                You also have to take into consideration some people might not want to be found. They have their family on there and that's all they want.
                I don't have major restrictive settings on mine, more so just my pictures. I don't want random strangers seeing my kids.
                So go on, go on be your own, go on be your own star!
                A superstar in my eyes!

Comment

Yeah, there's some situations where people have lost jobs or got reprimanded at work because of some "tagged" pic of them at a BBQ with beer in hand.

We have a School Librian that sometimes comes to functions that's requesting people to keep pics of her to a minimum.

Though, I know some people that arne't too wise about having their co-workers and even bosses on their friends list...not sure why they would do that.

Originally posted by lady-MGS View Post
                  Common sense is to check your privacy settings. There has been notifications at the top of facebook concerning the changes that have been made.
                  You also have to take into consideration some people might not want to be found. They have their family on there and that's all they want.
                  I don't have major restrictive settings on mine, more so just my pictures. I don't want random strangers seeing my kids.

Comment

By default Facebook is very open with what they allow other users and companies to see about accounts. this is because it benefits them monetarily when people can data mine. If you want to lock down your account to the extent you're describing Tony, either the person did it, or the person setting up their account did it.

Personally I like that Facebook allows you to lock things down, my account isn't super locked down, but I like that I could if I wanted to.
                    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
                    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper110 View Post
                      By default Facebook is very open with what they allow other users and companies to see about accounts. this is because it benefits them monetarily when people can data mine. If you want to lock down your account to the extent you're describing Tony, either the person did it, or the person setting up their account did it.

Personally I like that Facebook allows you to lock things down, my account isn't super locked down, but I like that I could if I wanted to.

Yeah, those pics of me with Hooters waitresses or more importantly, the convention hotties, are frowned upon by some, actually had a prudish woman said she unfriended me because she didn't like the pics of me with the 19 year olds in bikini's, funny beasue the woman in question is like 27 , LOL (the one in the bikini)

Comment

Well I agree with you Tony. What's the point of social networking if I can't even search for you?! I have many friends on facebook too, from high school, where I can't even see things like photos or notes because I'm not on their little special list. I only got a facebook to stay in touch, but I've just been deleting hundreds of friends because privacy settings on their end make it impossible to truly stay in touch.

I do block my photos and some other things from people not on my friends' list, but if someone knows me, and searches me, they'll find me. It's just silly not to use that.

Comment

Originally posted by homosapien15 View Post
                          Well I agree with you Tony. What's the point of social networking if I can't even search for you?! I have many friends on facebook too, from high school, where I can't even see things like photos or notes because I'm not on their little special list. I only got a facebook to stay in touch, but I've just been deleting hundreds of friends because privacy settings on their end make it impossible to truly stay in touch.

I do block my photos and some other things from people not on my friends' list, but if someone knows me, and searches me, they'll find me. It's just silly not to use that.
                          That's your opinion. Maybe some of those people don't want you to find them. My profile can not be viewed except by my friends or friends of friends. Some picture albums by friends of friends, and some only my friends. I have some things that only friends can see on my profile. I don't mind if people can search for me, but no one except people I know can see my info.

I can see times however when you wouldn't want people to be able to search for you. For example my girlfriend is a teacher. She is searchable, although only friends can view anything on her page. Nothing questionable on there, even of her having a beer because of the nature of her job, but I can understand where a teacher or someone else in the public eye might not want anyone to be able to search for them.

Or maybe Bob from high school just didn't like everyone despite what you thought and doesn't want you to find him.

Facebook is only giving everyone a chance to share and communicate how they like. If you don't like it, take it up with the person, it was their decision, not Facebook's. If you really don't like it....stopping using Facebook as a protest, enjoy.
                          [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Igorod/troopdod.jpg[/img]
                          [url=http://profile.xfire.com/trooper110][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/co/type/1/trooper110.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Maybe so, but my profile can only be viewed by friends. However, you can STILL search for me! That's what I'm talking about Trooper.

I know some people value privacy too, my mother has very stringent settings on her's. It just seems weird to me to be a young, college student, and do this. This is a big networking/friendship building time in our lives and staying within your own group of friends doesn't do you favors. Furthermore, my high school was a small, private one, so everyone knew everyone. So, at least in my case, it seems odd that suddenly people would adjust settings so high after knowing me for four years...whether or not they cared for me.

I know people have real issues with stalkers, and facebook has awful security problems, but in the end it's a social networking site. One can easily secure their profile from unwanted viewing, but to have your name unsearchable?! I know people my age do it to hide partying pictures too, but to simply not post them would be safer.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                            Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                              by Apache Warrior
                              6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                            • Reply to 6 years
                              by Sirex
                              I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                              Just hit 2.5K miles...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                            • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                              by Sirex
                              Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                            • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                              by Sirex
                              Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                            • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                              by Sirex
                              Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                              5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                            Working...
                            X