Time to Call it Quits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Call it Quits

Since late August of 2007 I've had a custom built server co-located in St. Louis. One which was built to run UT3, which didn't turn out as most of us had hoped for. Even so I have been running various mods for UT3 as well as free hosting UT3/UT2004 servers for Pinky's Playhouse and the T5K Clan. I also ran a TF2 server which was fairly busy until the achievements came out and along with it, achievement whores which ruined it for me.

But now it is time to call it quits. After the end of this month the game servers will be stopped and the server box will be relocated back to my home.

I want to personally thank Cain once again, who graciously allowed me to "take over" and host Onslaught for the CLRs who still loved it when he closed his UT2004 servers. (Given that some of his UT2004 server competition is still active today, I think he could have mopped the floor with them for a couple more years had he chosen to continue. )

I had the pleasure of meeting Cain and his wife in person during a trip through South Carolina and it was a great priviledge. And yes, I witnessed the awesome Cain Home Theatre. "Master and Commander" was thundering through that sound system. What a great treat.

To help keep this short(er) I also want to thank all the CLRs who I've met since one fateful day when I joined an Onslaught server that had "Cain's Lair" in the name. And all the others who followed, such as the Titan community and Pinky's, I wish all the best.

Thanks to you all for some very fun times. I'll continue to post now and again.

With love and regards,

Scott
    --Slaughter

Slaughter, I hope you continue to post here. Just because you are not playing a current game does not mean this is your home.
    Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
    Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
    I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
    Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Well sad to hear it Slaughter, definitely like Apache said keep coming to the the forums it will always be your home.
      [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
      Like the community? Donate here:
      [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
        Slaughter, I hope you continue to post here. Just because you are not playing a current game does not mean this is your home.
        Apache
        I think Apache meant to say "does not mean this is NOT your home"
        Ahhh...the power of cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by ch33s3r View Post
          I think Apache meant to say "does not mean this is NOT your home"

Sorry.
          Apache

I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

It is tough to stop playing a game that you have played for so many years. I guess you have to wait till the next game like UT or something that catches your eye like this series did.

Comment

Way to hang on all the time Slaughter. I don't know if you know this or not but it was a pimp message from you that was a big part of me adding the lair to my favorites.
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Apache Warrior View Post
                Slaughter, I hope you continue to post here. Just because you are not playing a current game does not mean this isn't your home.
                Apache

what Apache said !!
                K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
                sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

It was a good run.

-Rand
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                  Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Some of us still play UT2004 . I average 2 two to 3 hours a night and still get my rear kicked.
                    I might have to give BC a try . I played the single person game and it seems nice.
                    I really wanted to stop by and just say Hi to anyone that might remember me.

Comment

hey Porkinator

Come and join us at BFBC2 !!
                      K3BASFM. "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."
                      sigpic

Support Cainslair. Donate here! Cain's Lair Forums

Comment

Welcome back Porkinator. I was on the CS side but, I remember you.
                        Back years ago, Cain ran UT and CS. There were actually two separate communities on the forum.
                        Apache

Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

We should bring back css.
                          What a great game!

Comment

Slaughter,
                            When you say UT3, Do you mean Unreal Tournament 2003 or Unreal Tournament 3? I was just wondering what you ment by "UT3/UT2004"
                            Last edited by Caddys83; 7 Oct 2010, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Unreal Tournament 3, not 2003.
                              --Slaughter

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X