No announcement yet.

Operating system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP, until if/when linux catches up. i am not looking forward to VISTA.

Comment

Vista is so bad i had to come back to xp because vista should never have been relesed because not much is comptiable with it

Comment

XP on my desktop and wife`s laptop is running Linux Mandriva 2007...

I`v try vista in developing state and now full version ultimate but still don`t want this...

Comment

XP till Vista64 grows up. Vista 32 just isn't compelling enough over XP to make the switch, especially considering the downsides of the OS (heavy DRM, unstable/unproven architecture, driver support, etc.).

And Linux might be a viable OS for business and if you want to put in the time, for gaming - but I'm too lazy to spend half my time making custom installations in order to get Linux to work with Windows games :P

Comment

I'm waiting for Vista X64 to mature.

not because i approve, but because I have no other alternative.

One good thing about Vista x64 right now? It made many companies rush to release x64 drivers. Now, my XPx64 has full list of drivers for all my components.

Comment

Where's the dual boot option ??? :P
              Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                YEAH! I know there are many (if not everyone) who would like to exercise the 'Dual Boot' on EA from time to time.

Oop, not quite hitting the mark here. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
                  ah, you thought i didn't think of that

read my first post of the thread more carefully

(PS notice that there are no edits, it was there from the beginning)
                  [img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b400/__alpha__/ut3-4.png[/img]

Comment

XP for games, Vista for business.

Tried UT2k4 on Vista and runs great but I get about 15 FPS less than XP on the exact same hardware.

Comment

XP on my gaming rig.

Linux on my server.
                      A change of Pace.
                      "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

alpha .. its currently a toss-up for games on Vista. Most newer games are running fine under Vista, but it only takes one game that I love to make me say 'screw it' and boot back to XP.
                        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Dang, am I the only one who uses Linux for games too?

I actually use XP64 for BF2142, but this is a recent thing. Until 2142 I would play Steam games and a game called Subspace (Continuum, nowadays) on Ubuntu.

I got BF2142 because I thought it looked cool shortly after I switched my desktop back to XP. I switched for my wife who is pretty good with computers, but never used it enough to get familiar with Linux.

I guess I'm not really a Linux nut, I just use it b/c that's what I used for a long time doing data analysis... Oh as a side note Cedega (which runs Steam almost perfectly) now supports 2142.. I'll have to check it out on my laptop sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by L_Mo
                            I guess I'm not really a Linux nut, I just use it b/c that's what I used for a long time doing data analysis... Oh as a side note Cedega (which runs Steam almost perfectly) now supports 2142.. I'll have to check it out on my laptop sometime.
                            pay for anything + linux = against ideals. thats what happened to the gentoo distro was pay for a while but eventually went free and it is my favorite one. thanks though, i have been out of linux since wine would never be up to snuff. you have given me a new hope

-Edit: after about 20 min. of digging though the site i found a way to access the source (ads for pay us now everywhere). did you get it from source and compile it yourself L_Mo? if you did can you PM how or direct me to the site that told you how. i was never good at building stuff from source only getting what i wanted done done.

Comment

Originally posted by lilfoo
                              Originally posted by L_Mo
                              pay for anything + linux = against ideals. thats what happened to the gentoo distro was pay for a while but eventually went free and it is my favorite one. thanks though, i have been out of linux since wine would never be up to snuff. you have given me a new hope

-Edit: after about 20 min. of digging though the site i found a way to access the source (ads for pay us now everywhere). did you get it from source and compile it yourself L_Mo? if you did can you PM how or direct me to the site that told you how. i was never good at building stuff from source only getting what i wanted done done.
                              +1, this could be intresting... btw, whats the site?

Comment

Originally posted by lilfoo
                                TransGaming wants you to pay for a "subscription" to their site, which gives you a few perks I guess... However, Cedega itself is still (mostly) free. I've compiled the CVS version a few times, it should be just:

./configure
                                make depend
                                make

If you're on ubuntu make sure you have the linux headers package, the compilation packages (build-essential) and whatnot. See www.ubuntuguide.org for a how-to on setting up your system to compile things...

However, the easiest method is to get a compiled version on mininova. This is a gray area since the version on mininova is the one you get for paying, not the one on CVS... Which route you go depends on how you feel about it. The version on mininova has worked for me, it has instructions on how to install.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X