impressions so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

impressions so far

On a total whim I bought both BO and MOH on steam. So I first fired up BO.

So um yeah my thoughts

1. Serverr Browser...or could not find any CLR server. Ok I understand server browsers are low on dev priority and plenty of great games have had server browsers issues so we'll let this slide.

2. No way to manually connect to a sever. So they get a plus for even having a game console however it seems that the whole game is geared towards consoles (xbox) from the server browser and etc.. No way to really pinpoint this I just get a feeling. However that said without the ability to manually join and the fact they have a craptastic browser they loose points here.

3. Graphics seem lacking. I've heard the comparisons to WaW and I have to agree. Don't get me wrong WaW was a fun game and I liked it. I just thought a rehash wasn't worth 60 bucks.

4. Game lag. I experienced severe lag in game on extremely low ping servers. I didn't really have time to try any fixes for the lag and the lag was not constant but, it was occasional and severe.

5. TDM game mode rules supreme for the majority of servers out there. This is a big sticking point. I tire of TDM. I have to say I did play some CTF and HQ. HQ was fun but, CTF to me seemed a blast. I had a lot of fun. One of the things I don't like about TDM is that there are no battle lines. So the game ends up being a bunch of people just running around killing each other. With CTF you have some idea the enemy is coming from over there and defense also comes into play. So CTF a plus... Most people want TDM a minus (to me at least). There is one annoying thing about CTF and that is people will decide to cover they're teams dropped flag trying to rack up cheap kills instead of going for the objective. This is usually dealable as they are looking out a window at the flag and are very easy to knife

6. 18 player max. I'm not sure but, it looks like 18 players are the top? WTF are we back in the 90's. Am I the only person who longs for 64 player battles with squads of 6 and voip. I know BF2 is dated but, I'm tempted to just play the single player of BO (if it's any good) just to get my moneys worth out of it and then go back to playing BF2 (at least cartillery got fixed).

Again I'm not trying to bash just my observations. when I get a chance to play MoH I post my thoughts as well.

I pretty much agree with all you say, Mapes. As I've said in another thread, WAW was OK, but that was two years ago...and I think it had almost double the players in multi.

A different way to upgrade weapons and a new game mode or two, with less ppl and chunkier gameplay, do not seem a big payoff for two years of development.

Comment

xbox version dont have server browser. Aside from the create a class and custom player. Its actually different from PC. Infact, its still player host with lobby. One thing I do like about the console version that so far I havent seen on PC is the voting for the next map. My co workers and I played Nuketown 5 times in a row

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6z4dFM6Viw&hd=1

Comment

I agree with your points Mapes. And to me it is just like playing every other COD game, just different skins.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

The biggest reason I buy COD is for the SP. They usually always tell a good story.

And I also agree with most of what has been said. A lot of the maps seem to be reskinned WAW maps. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. At least I know the layouts.
            A change of Pace.
            "All the fun of a clan without the BS" - Cain

Comment

Well, this isn't good news for the people like me who were going to buy it based on CLR reviews.

Comment

What happen to have fun? BFBC2 didn't go so well from the start

Comment

Well I agree with mapes on every point plus some.

To add to what Caddy said about fun, unfortunately due to the HW demands with this game, I can't have fun. I can't tune a playable game well enough to get a usable frame rate.

It's not just the frame rate in general either, there is something about this game that I can't put my finger on. It's like something in the code is tied to the frame rate or something and even if you turn and the screen doesn't keep up you can't predict where you would be like spin a 180 and plan on being in that direction. It's like you try it and if the frame didn't refresh you are where the last frame had you shown

And about BFBC2, at least in that game the destructible environment caught my attention immediately.

In BO the lack of a destructible env., the reduced player limitation and the non-playability on current hardware is a HUGE step backwards for me on the fun scale.
                  [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                  Like the community? Donate here:
                  [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Caddys83 View Post
                    What happen to have fun? BFBC2 didn't go so well from the start

Well I think BC2 had it's issues too. However the graphics and aerial effects (like blown sand and snow) were great...felt like I was in a Riddly Scott movie

BC2 was affected by the server browser issues early on. Also in HC mode the the preponderance of snipers will kill any game (yes if they wookie rush it doesn't but, they don't most times). Also no crosshairs or the ability to aim down the turret weapons made them useless death traps. In HC mode no minimap for medics ... to name some.

My guess is most likely BO will get the server browser fixed soon and also the lag. So that will help.

DB when your talking about the expected movement during lag I know what your talking about there is something off there.

Comment

Once I updated my Vid card settings, and used Fiery's console commands.. (THANKS TONS).. I was at LEAST able to play the SP.. It was totally uplayable before the driver update and the fixes. Unfortunately, I cannot see the CLR server on my server browser, so i have NO idea about MP...

I'm off to soccer for now, and will try again later...
                      ??Click me to donate??

Comment

agree..and will probably agree with your MoH points from the sound of it. Played CoD last night, some today...rehash of WaW, not happy with it, laggy, dont think the graphics are outstanding by any means, little clunky if anything. As much as I hate to say it, MoH provides a little more competitive play. Not thrilled with MoH just yet, as I think they need a few more fixes, but...may just be playing that before going back to an RPG as a last resort in my quest for relaxation.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue7 View Post
                          agree..and will probably agree with your MoH points from the sound of it. Played CoD last night, some today...rehash of WaW, not happy with it, laggy, dont think the graphics are outstanding by any means, little clunky if anything. As much as I hate to say it, MoH provides a little more competitive play. Not thrilled with MoH just yet, as I think they need a few more fixes, but...may just be playing that before going back to an RPG as a last resort in my quest for relaxation.

Haven't played MoH yet I'll try it tonight hopefully...one thing I found odd about it was I bought it on steam and it asked for my serial key

Comment

I think the new customizable titles is cool, the maps are the best since cod2 which is what really matters in a game. Some of the textures seem a little out of place but we will get a better view of the game after a few patches. Im still lagging but when it gets fixed it looks like a killer game.

Comment

Their patch seems to have helped my lag a lot, but there is still something in the control that is just off. I still can't put my finger on it.
                              [IMG]http://thepebkac.net/images/sigs/Outdoors_sig.jpg[/IMG]
                              Like the community? Donate here:
                              [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate[/URL]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X