X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AT&T and Verizon, you are obsolete.

LightSquared

http://www.lightsquared.com/

Well it was touched on in Eviltony's DSL post, about wireless internet connectivity. I was watching the news this morning and it was announced that my cable company is on board with Lightsquared. They said Lightsquared is ready to turn on their network.

The equipment is so powerful it's going to (theoretically) knock out commercial gps's:

http://newtstuff.blogspot.com/2011/0...at-to-gps.html

According to the news segment I was watching today, they were given the ok to turn their network on by the government, despite possible GPS interferences. Today is the first I heard of this, I for one am excited about it, I loath both AT&T and Verizon (I'm a Verizon customer). I think this could bring on some much needed competition, and I like how this company thinks about how people actually use the internet. Did anyone else know about this? What are your thoughts?
    Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

We'll see. Unless your phone is going to communicate directly to a satellite you have to remember that our current phone companies are the ones that own the cell towers.

Comment

No it's wireless too.

In September 2010, LightSquared disclosed that both the Nokia Siemens Networks, a leading supplier of telecommunications equipment and services, and the LightSquared boards of directors approved the 8-year, $7 billion agreement for Nokia Siemens Networks to deploy, install, operate and maintain the LightSquared nationwide network. The agreement, the largest of its kind for the U.S. wireless industry, was first announced on July 20, 2010. The nationwide LightSquared network, consisting of approximately 40,000 cellular base stations, will cover 92 percent of the U.S. population by 2015.
      LightSquared-enabled devices including data cards, embedded modules, personal hotspots, and routers will launch during the second half of 2011. By 2012, LightSquared’s service will expand to include Smartphones and other innovative next generation devices.

The LTE standard provides an ecosystem advantage and a superior user experience. From a technology perspective, LTE has a maximum data rate—over 100 MB/second—which enables LightSquared to offer more immediate communication with minimal delay and faster upload and download speeds.
      Last edited by Devilguns; 7 Apr 2011, 12:52 AM. Reason: more info
      Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Ehh, promises, promises. Any good thing can be squashed when it involves venture capitalists to this extent:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/specia...s-lte-launch-d
        Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
          We'll see. Unless your phone is going to communicate directly to a satellite you have to remember that our current phone companies are the ones that own the cell towers.
          Not really the problem. The problem is the way the FCC allocates spectrum to providers. It's done via an auction system on a per geographical area. To be honest I think par t of the problem with the system is the cost and also its exclusionary. So competitors have to license spectrum from each other for certain areas

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
          Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
            by Apache Warrior
            6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
          • Reply to 6 years
            by Sirex
            I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
            Just hit 2.5K miles...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
          • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
            by Sirex
            Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
          • Reply to Hell Let Loose
            by Sirex
            Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
          • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
            by Sirex
            Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
            5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
          Working...
          X