Putting together a new Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting together a new Computer!

Hey guys. First time posting in a very long time. I have finally accumulated te funds for putting together my first computer. But I need your expertise. Im not too knowledgable on how to put this stuff together so any advice or direction to some sort of a guide would be great.

My new specs:

Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition
    Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600
    RAM: Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB GDDR5 Dual DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card - Limited 3 Year Warranty 012-P3-1571-KR
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 Nickel Plated Copper Base Aluminum Fins 8 Heatpipes Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler - (RR-UV8-XBU1-GP)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP (Black)
    PSU: XION PowerReal 800W Power Supply Retail XON-800P14N
    Hard Drive: Western Digital 500 GB SATA OEM Desktop Hard Drive WD5000AADS (Caviar Green)
    Screen: ASUS VH242H 23.6-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
    Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2400 ATX Motherboard
    CD Drive: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)
    Last edited by TheSilentAssassin; 9 Apr 2011, 01:36 AM.
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Go with the 2600K. It is the unlocked version of the part and allows for easy overclocking. Or go with the 2500K and save a little money.

That Mobo will not work with the CPU. It is for older Core i5s/I7s. You need an LGA1155 mobo. Also, I wouldn't go with an Intel mobo. Asus, MSI, or Gigabyte would probably be better.

Other than that, lookin' good!
    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Ok im getting this one instead:

ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2400 ATX Motherboard

Is there any online step by step guide in putting together a new computer? My friend is gonna help me up but I think some sort of guide wouldn't hurt.
      Last edited by TheSilentAssassin; 9 Apr 2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRiley View Post
        Ok im getting this one instead:

ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2400 ATX Motherboard

Is there any online step by step guide in putting together a new computer? My friend is gonna help me up but I think some sort of guide wouldn't hurt.
        It's really not very difficult. My advice is to put the PSU, harddrive, DVD drive in first, otherwise things could get tricky. Assemble the CPU/Motherboard/Cooler/RAM before you put that in. PCI cards should be last.
        For me the trickiest thing is to make sure you have the wires connected properly from your case to the motherboard.

Buy a pack of small zip-ties to keep your cables nice and neat.

Comment

The zip ties were the first thing i bought hahaha just because Im getting a coupe case fans so I want to ensure that I get maximum airflow. I guess Im just a little nervous because this is my first time and I've never done anything like this before.

I guess its also excitement because ive been trying to play newer games on my old pc which is like the first generation dual core processor and Nvidia 8800 GTS so this is a huge upgrade for me. Im excited but I dont want to screw this up and have all this money go to waste because I didnt do it correctly. Took me like 2 years to save up this money for the computer

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
            Go with the 2600K. It is the unlocked version of the part and allows for easy overclocking. Or go with the 2500K and save a little money.
            Most are going with the 2500K. Almost as good, and much cheaper. That's what is sitting in my Newegg wish list build for when I want to dream about a new system.

-Rand
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

and make sure you have thermal paste for the CPU/Cooler connection. It's relatively cheap, and can get it in many places.

Comment

NZXT :: Unique. Unprecendented. Inspired - Phantom Product Detail
                Look at the NZXT Phantom. I have it in black and love it. Plenty of cooling and is quiet. It is well designed and already has rubber grommets around preexisting cutouts. It is well designed for hiding wiring. It also has a cutout, on the motherboard, that allows you to put a cooling fan on the CPU without removing the
                CPU.
                Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

^^^^^ Uergh! No offence Apache lol. The side shots look great. But the one shot from above front shows it's the 'transformer' look that i hate hehe.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet, so i am hesitant just in case this is some great unkown brand outside of the US.....

A XION power supply? Never heard of them, and with power supplies that isn't a good thing. Get yourself a Corsair, Coolermaster, OCZ or similar.

Also, drop the HDD. Western Digital Green HDD's are great, for storage. They run at a slower RPM to reduce heat and power output which is ok when accessing video, audio, and images. However it's not good when you're loading apps/games from it. Look for the 640GB Black version instead (WD6402AAEX).

Other than that i don't see any major issues.

Comment

your initial case is a coolermaster. i love that company. i was bored just yesterday and reading gaming case reviews. make sure you have a rear exhaust fan. apparently thats the easiest way to get rid of case heat. blah blah.

I felt the same way when building my first rig. its actually not that bad. Just make sure you dbl check your power cables, make sure stuff thats supposed to be plugged in , is. i do not know about the 1155 socket, but the stock fan of socket 775 were a PITA!!! to install. i think i broke my mobo last week trying to get it on( old gaming rig getting tossed into a different box minus after market cooler. everything ran fine till i was putting that fan on, heard LOUD cracking. now it doesnt work) all of your hardware will have installation directions. give them a look if you are confused. also leave the old rig put together and online incase you need more in depth advice.

after market thermal plaste is often times a TON better than what they give you pre applied on the CPU. I have a tube of some no name white looking grease, had it for 10 years, just killed it on my most current build. I have a tube of cooler master paste, but i do not like its consistancy, way too thick. its old, so i wonder if it hasnt " gone bad" . Also, if you havent used/applied before, do not slop it all over, this is one of the times where more is less. apply compound, put on cooler press down and check coverage.

totally jealous of your monitor. i love that company, and their monitors.

Comment

I would suggest not using the cheap white thermal paste, and buying something like arctic silver. Just dont buy the glue kind
                      And the old saying "a dab will do ya"

2500k is the way to go, you will be able to increase the chip speed by just increasing the multiplier. You can get atleast 5-10% without having to increase voltage. Im also active on Legion of Sparta, and they have 3-4 people doing similar upgrades as you.

The only diffence between the 2500 and 2600's are 100mhz and Hyperthreading. HT is a double edged sword with gaming, sometimes it helps sometimes it hinders. The K series have unlocked multipliers and they OC very well compared to previous Intel chips. Ive seen people getting 4.6Ghz on air cooling. Just dont put voltage beyond 1.4v on the 1155 chips, they degrade very fast if you do. The 2500k is also cheaper then the 2600 so you can use that to put into other things.

Also that Coolermaster HS/fan is overkill, and heavy. Its 870g or 1.91 pounds, thats heavy even for hs/fans. I would recommend the COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 compatible GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler. Its lighter, it blows down onto your motherboard which helps cool your ram and other components. And its $10 Cheaper.

For your hard drive i would suggest going with something a little better like the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive, its got less cache and space but its alot faster then the green drive you listed. They also have a 500gb but its slower the the 320 and faster then the WD you listed. I usually suggest raptors but you are probably limited on funds.

Your GPU looks NICE!!!
                      Mobo/Ram/Case/PSU look good.

You could get better ram but that just adds cost. Cas 8 1600 ram is in the $120 range for 2x4gb. The gains aren't huge.

Also dont forget to ground yourself before you touch the parts otherwise you will have expensive paperweights.

Intels 1155 install guide. Good for references.

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
                        I would suggest not using the cheap white thermal paste, and buying something like arctic silver. Just dont buy the glue kind
                        And the old saying "a dab will do ya"

2500k is the way to go, you will be able to increase the chip speed by just increasing the multiplier. You can get atleast 5-10% without having to increase voltage. Im also active on Legion of Sparta, and they have 3-4 people doing similar upgrades as you.

The only diffence between the 2500 and 2600's are 100mhz and Hyperthreading. HT is a double edged sword with gaming, sometimes it helps sometimes it hinders. The K series have unlocked multipliers and they OC very well compared to previous Intel chips. Ive seen people getting 4.6Ghz on air cooling. Just dont put voltage beyond 1.4v on the 1155 chips, they degrade very fast if you do. The 2500k is also cheaper then the 2600 so you can use that to put into other things.

Also that Coolermaster HS/fan is overkill, and heavy. Its 870g or 1.91 pounds, thats heavy even for hs/fans. I would recommend the COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 compatible GeminII S RR-CCH-PBU1-GP 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler. Its lighter, it blows down onto your motherboard which helps cool your ram and other components. And its $10 Cheaper.

For your hard drive i would suggest going with something a little better like the SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive, its got less cache and space but its alot faster then the green drive you listed. They also have a 500gb but its slower the the 320 and faster then the WD you listed. I usually suggest raptors but you are probably limited on funds.

Your GPU looks NICE!!!
                        Mobo/Ram/Case/PSU look good.

You could get better ram but that just adds cost. Cas 8 1600 ram is in the $120 range for 2x4gb. The gains aren't huge.

Also dont forget to ground yourself before you touch the parts otherwise you will have expensive paperweights.

Intels 1155 install guide. Good for references.
                        So these XION PSU's are good? I wasn't sure in my post having never once heard of them, which is usually a bad thing.

Still. If i had the opportunity i'd still go for a Corsair, Coolermaster etc.

edit: Just done a quick scan around google. Most people giving 5* reviews seem to do so because it's cheap. 9/10 cheap + PSU = bad.

I also found a 'spec me' thread over on Toms Hardware. The first few replies were all 'get a better PSU' posts.

Just reading another help thread on Overclock.net. Here's a few replies.

The commonly used term is "modular", and yes it is... Personally, I would look for a more reliable and higher quality brand than Xion though. They definitely aren't on my recommended PSU manufacturer list....

yes but I wouldn't get it. it's a terrible psu.

xion is a horrible company for PSU's. here is a word of wisdom. A cheap psu is a false economy. it will help you now but it will fail in the long run. a 650 watt corsair is hypothetically as good as a 800 watt so-so company.

Well, it is from a decent manufacturer (Super Flower) so I would like to say it is ok. But it's only $100 at TD. There have got to be some corners cut there. If it is anything like the 700W version, it is a piece of crap.
                        I had a gut instinct, and i'm sticking with it.

Comment

i always read the reviews on the product. if the company has too many DOA's, i dont get it.

I wish i knew how to make PSU's. The cheap ones are just that, and the good ones cost you all but your first born. Id imagine a middle of the market would do very well! and id love to supply it, lol

Comment

Well Xion have been around for a few years.
                            PSU's are like anything else you sometimes get good ones you sometimes get bad ones. Im using a cheap Ultra psu from Compusa inplace of a fairly expensive Silverstone I had die and its lasted longer then the expensive one.

And here is my wish list.........

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
                              Well Xion have been around for a few years.
                              PSU's are like anything else you sometimes get good ones you sometimes get bad ones. Im using a cheap Ultra psu from Compusa inplace of a fairly expensive Silverstone I had die and its lasted longer then the expensive one.

And here is my wish list.........
                              I've heard of Ultra and i wouldn't touch them. It's the type of PSU that blows and takes everything with it.

Silverstone while great at making cases are not renowned for their PSU's.

Just noticed that even XION cases are downright awful.

I'm sorry but if you put hundreds of $'s into a new Intel chip and a GTX570 then couple it with a XION PSU you'd have to be nuts imo.

edit:

Seems to be hard to find good legit reviews of XION PSU's but i did find one of the PowerReal 700W. Please read.

Xion PowerReal 700W Review

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X