No announcement yet.

Putting together a new Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well in the 10 or so years ive been building systems for myself, I have used Antec, Silverstone, and Ultra. Having not owned a Xion I cant say its better then say a Corsair or any other brand.
    The chance of getting a bad PSU is about the same as buying any Brand car Battery and it dieing after 1 year. BTW lead car batteries are supposed to last no more then 5 years. After that they degrade beyond use.

This looks like a good alternative, but I cant say for 100% because I have never owned Corsair and I generally find there products overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
      Well in the 10 or so years ive been building systems for myself, I have used Antec, Silverstone, and Ultra. Having not owned a Xion I cant say its better then say a Corsair or any other brand.
      The chance of getting a bad PSU is about the same as buying any Brand car Battery and it dieing after 1 year. BTW lead car batteries are supposed to last no more then 5 years. After that they degrade beyond use.

This looks like a good alternative, but I cant say for 100% because I have never owned Corsair and I generally find there products overpriced.
      That's a great PSU, and leagues ahead of a XION. They're not overpriced, especially the PSU's. If you want good you have to pay for it, and with PSU's you definitely want good internals.

Comment

Also found this info Database of PSU OEM's

Sunflower makes Xion's.

Nice to see who is behind some of these psu's.

Newer database

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
          Also found this info Database of PSU OEM's

Sunflower makes Xion's.

Nice to see who is behind some of these psu's.

Newer database
          That's a good little list. I find it strange more XION PSU's aren't listed though considering they have a sizable range.

The only real review i could find was the 700W version which is also the only one that is in that database.

Comment

According to newegg the 800 is discontinued/out of stuck and no date posted for restock.

Comment

^^^^^ Uergh! No offence Apache lol. The side shots look great. But the one shot from above front shows it's the 'transformer' look that i hate hehe.
              I have never seen the Transformers.
              I like the case. It is well designed and has a a lot of cooling.
              With the top shape no one is tempted to set anything on top of it.
              The front has a 140 mm fan. The top has two 200 mm fans. The rear has one 120 mm and the side has one 230 mm and two 120 mm fans.
              It is a solid and well designed case.
              Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
              Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
              I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
              Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Can't believe I didn't catch the PSU or HDD choices...

I would avoid that PSU as well. Quality is very important in PSUs. Even if it doesn't die, lower quality PSUs will not have clean voltages, which can damage other hardware in your system. Any quality PSU should be fine. I like Enermax personally.

I also would not get the caviar green for your main drive. I like the Caviar Black drives.

The CPU cooler may be a bit overkill unless you plan on doing some serious overclocking. According to MaxPC, the best air cooler is the COoler Master Hyper 212 Plus. Regardless, a new aftermarket cooler will not need thermal paste. It will either come with some, or it will have something pre-applied to the surface.
                [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                  Can't believe I didn't catch the PSU or HDD choices...

I would avoid
                  Age related?

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                    Age related?
                    [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Just saw this in MaxPC and thought it might be useful for you:
                      How to Build the Ultimate Gaming PC, Step by Step

Comment

Ok first off let me say thanks so much for all the advice. This is why I come here because the support is overwhelming. Second unfortunately I boughteverything last night before I looked at your reccomendations but I am ordering a better PSU and HDD and ill try and return the origional PSU and HDD. Do you guys think they will allow me to return the original PSU and new HDD since Im getting a better HDD and PSU (and spending $100 more dollars lol) without any problems?

Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition
                        Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600
                        RAM: Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
                        GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB GDDR5 Dual DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
                        CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 Nickel Plated Copper Base Aluminum Fins 8 Heatpipes Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler
                        Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP (Black)
                        PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850-Watt HX Professional Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
                        HDD: Western Digital 500GB SATA3 7200rpm 32 MB Hard Drive - Bulk WD5002AALX Caviar Black
                        Screen: ASUS VH242H 23.6-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
                        Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2400 ATX Motherboard
                        CD Drive: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

Plus zip ties and maybe later on some extra case fans depending on how much room I have.

Also for the thermal paste, which I forgot to order, shouldnt that come with the CPU cooler or is that seperate? If not what brand should I buy?
                        Last edited by TheSilentAssassin; 9 Apr 2011, 08:17 PM. Reason: Better Parts = Better Quality = stable system = amazing gameplay lol
                        We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRiley View Post
                          Ok first off let me say thanks so much for all the advice. This is why I come here because the support is overwhelming. Second unfortunately I boughteverything last night before I looked at your reccomendations but I am ordering a better PSU and HDD and ill try and return the origional PSU and HDD. Do you guys think they will allow me to return the original PSU and new HDD since Im getting a better HDD and PSU (and spending $100 more dollars lol) without any problems?

Windows 7 64 bit Home Edition
                          Processor: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600 3.4GHz 8MB LGA1155 CPU BX80623I72600
                          RAM: Corsair Memory 8 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM CMX8GX3M2A1600C9
                          GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD 1280MB GDDR5 Dual DVI/ HDMI/ DisplayPort PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card
                          CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 Nickel Plated Copper Base Aluminum Fins 8 Heatpipes Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler
                          Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP (Black)
                          PSU: Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850-Watt HX Professional Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply
                          HDD: Western Digital 500GB SATA3 7200rpm 32 MB Hard Drive - Bulk WD5002AALX Caviar Black
                          Screen: ASUS VH242H 23.6-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black
                          Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 SATA 6Gbps and USB 3.0 Supported Intel P67 DDR3 2400 ATX Motherboard
                          CD Drive: Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

Plus zip ties and maybe later on some extra case fans depending on how much room I have.

Also for the thermal paste, which I forgot to order, shouldnt that come with the CPU cooler or is that seperate? If not what brand should I buy?
                          arctic silver is the most popular. i got a tube of cooler master brand with my coolermaster fan. i just think its too thick.

as for the fans, check around at a local outlet before ordering online. sometimes with shipping, its cheaper to buy them at best buy etc. i like to look for free shipping offers.

Comment

Ya thats what I was thinking. I have a best buy rght next to my college so im just gonna cruise over there and pick up some thermal solution and a couple case fans if i need them.

Well all the parts have been ordered, some need to be returned (original PSU and HDD), but thursday when the parts get here is when I wil attempt to build it. Lets just hope I don't do something wrong and the whole thing blows up lol.

BTW, how exactly do you ground yourself?
                            We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Do you guys think they will allow me to return the original PSU and new HDD since Im getting a better HDD and PSU (and spending $100 more dollars lol) without any problems?
                              In the UK you have 7 days 'cooling off period' as stated by the Distance Selling Regulations. This protects the consumers when they don't have face to face contact with the product they're purchasing.

The items have to be unused and in their original packaging with no seals broken so that the retailer can still sell them.

I presume you have some sort of laws like this too.

Comment

Lets just hope I don't do something wrong and the whole thing blows up lol.

BTW, how exactly do you ground yourself?
                                Not gonna happen. PSU cables are idiot proof and only fit into the socket they're meant to.

Touch a radiator.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X