Putting together a new Computer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by juneau View Post
    Not gonna happen. PSU cables are idiot proof and only fit into the socket they're meant to.

Touch a radiator.
    Haha ok I actually just remembered that I have a grounding braclet that I can use.

Is this a good thermal compound?

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Dog-Polysy...2406235&sr=1-1
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

Congrats on the new build it's too bad I was AFK during it. I assume the CPU cooler you have has an adapter for your socket as it says its for a 1366.

I wouldn't worry too much about the compound because the difference will only be a few degrees but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't pick the best one you can afford. Here is a good review of a few brands.
      http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ry-2011/1202/6

The reviews I read at the time of my last build had two pastes that stood out a bit. IC Diamond 7 Carat 1.5 and Tuniq TX-2. The Diamond paste was said to be tricky to apply so I went with the Tuniq and It's worked just fine.
      Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

IC Diamond 7 Carat 1.5 Gram Thermal Compound THR-41
      Tuniq TX-2 is the best thermal grease

Here is a great link for applying thermal compound.
      Benchmark Reviews: Performance Computer Hardware Tests

I also liked the PSU information to see that my PSU company, Enermax, makes its own parts.

If you are looking for cool looking parts to dress up you build I would highly recommend this site. FrozenCPU.com | 1.877.243.8266 | World's Largest Selection of PC Modification Supplies I get things like colored shrink wrap, ties and lights here.

Good luck with the build and don't forget those pics.
      [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
      Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRiley View Post
        Second unfortunately I boughteverything last night before I looked at your reccomendations but I am ordering a better PSU and HDD and ill try and return the origional PSU and HDD.

I hope you learned your lesson

And I wanna see some pics

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post

I hope you learned your lesson

And I wanna see some pics
          This thread will be useless without:

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Ehh.....No i dont have an adapter for the CPU cooler. Why do I keep missing these kinds of things?

Where can I find a LGA 1155 adaptor for this CPU cooler? Someone shoot me a link in amazon please?

Comment

my cooler master kit came with an almost universal fit. i had brackets and components for almost every socket type available at time of its release.

i think i read how the 1156 and 1155 shapes were similar so perhaps your holes will line up. worse case scenario, you have to run the stock fan till you can get the correct bracket.

Comment

This is why everyone who hasn't built one before should have some grace period before the initial excitement of loading up a cart and pulling the trigger. It's always the small things that mess you up.

Did you order from Newegg? They'll take the returns for almost anything other than software. They may charge a restock fee, but that depends on the product.

EDIT: Why, why, why did you buy a 2600 chip without the K? That means the multiplier is locked. I would return that for the 2500K, and you'll get some cash back to help you with the increased costs of the other returns.

-Rand
                [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by KyleRiley View Post
                  Ehh.....No i dont have an adapter for the CPU cooler. Why do I keep missing these kinds of things?

Where can I find a LGA 1155 adaptor for this CPU cooler? Someone shoot me a link in amazon please?
                  It will come with the cooler IF it has one.

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
                  This is why everyone who hasn't built one before should have some grace period before the initial excitement of loading up a cart and pulling the trigger.

EDIT: Why, why, why did you buy a 2600 chip without the K? That means the multiplier is locked. I would return that for the 2500K, and you'll get some cash back to help you with the increased costs of the other returns.

-Rand
                  +100
                  [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!

Comment

The cooler comes only with a AMD adapter. Not too sure, but all i7 have the same installation slots. The installation is easy too. You HAVE to have access to the back of the mobo to install it though. But it's great. It comes with the wrench thingi that tightens it up. If you hear crunching noise, you've tightened too much.

By the way, it does look pretty damn good when I go, "Hey, bro. Those are nice pictures of your kids on your phone, but check out MY baby." "Is that a V8 engine in your computer?" "Yes, yes it is."

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post

EDIT: Why, why, why did you buy a 2600 chip without the K? That means the multiplier is limited. I would return that for the 2500K, and you'll get some cash back to help you with the increased costs of the other returns.

-Rand

Fixed

Comment

As far as the brackets go, You have to specify in your order you want the modde done (At least I did with my Tuniq Tower). Instead of Cooler Master V8 Nickel Plated Copper Base Aluminum Fins 8 Heatpipes Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler ,there would be a seperate part named Cooler Master V8 Nickel Plated Copper Base Aluminum Fins 8 Heatpipes Core i7 1366 CPU Cooler with 1155 reduceror something to that effect

Comment

Im really confused right now. All the CPU coolers like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler shown here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-...2478985&sr=1-6

Says that its a LGA 1156/1155

Does this mean that any CPU cooler that is a LGA 1156 is compatible with LGA 1155 because I am finding it impossible to find a CPU cooler that is actually LGA 1155

EDIT: So I guess 1155 is NOT compatible with 1156 because 1155 is meant to replace 1156. I cant for the life of me find a friggin 1155 cpu cooler. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIND A LGA 1155 CPU COOLER!?!?!

Comment

1155 and 1156 can use the same cooler.
                            Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Originally posted by Devilguns View Post
                              1155 and 1156 can use the same cooler.
                              Are you absolutely sure? Is there anything else that I would need to get to make sure that a LGA 1156 cooler is compatible with my LGA 1155 MOBO?

Comment

i bet you are fine bro. my cooler didnt say it was AM3 cmpatible, it is just that the am2+ and am3 chips use the same set up.that being the case, i am sure its the exact same way with your chips.
                                just read your directions, you'll be able to figure it out.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                                Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                  by Apache Warrior
                                  6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                                • Reply to 6 years
                                  by Sirex
                                  I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                  Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                                • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                                • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                  by Sirex
                                  Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                                • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                  by Sirex
                                  Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                  5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                                Working...
                                X