HDD on the way Out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDD on the way Out?

My main drive is a 640GB Blue Drive (WD64AAKS)...lately when I have the system off over night, when booting, it freezes when booting into Windows. Ive noticed sometimes that one of the drives are a little noisy and I am assuming it's this drive. My storage drives are 2x 1TB Green and 1x 1.5tb Green. Ive had no issues with the storage drives.

I tried using WD's Drive diagnostic program but for some reason it says the cable fails on all drives Im using the stock cables that came with my MB. Transfer rates from drive2drive seem to be ok.

Ive had the Blue drive for a few years now and am staring to wonder if I should be looking at replacing it or could it be another issue and not the HDD??

I recently did a fresh install of my OS etc so I dont think I need to do another one.

Change the data cables on the drives. Just in case. Are you overclocked? If so drop it to stock for a couple of days.

Quite a strange response from the diagnostic tool though. Try Seagates Seatools. It does work on HDD's other than Seagates own.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/sup...loads/seatools

Have you run ChkDsk? HDD Right click, properties, tools, error checking.

Got to admit, freezing on boot? Not a good sign and does sound like HDD failure.

Comment

Yes I am overclocked...the system boots fine untill windows starts loading and thats when it will freeze. This is how I know its not the MB or anything like that. I will try that diag tool, thanks J

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus View Post
        Yes I am overclocked...the system boots fine untill windows starts loading and thats when it will freeze. This is how I know its not the MB or anything like that. I will try that diag tool, thanks J
        Let me know if it helps... or not.

Comment

Well it passed the S.M.A.R.T test but during the Short DST it seems to be hung at around 90% completion but the drive is going crazy

Comment

Backup the files soon

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
              Backup the files soon
              Definitely.

Comment

When mine was going out I mirrored it to a new drive and swapped them out. No reinstallation of OS and other software.
                Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
                Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
                I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
                Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Ya I have done the BU already...I went out for a few hours and left the Short DST test running to come home to it in the same spot as it was....definately an issue with the drive....next question is what drive to replace it with?? I only buy WD drives and dont want to go with a SSD. I would like something better/faster than the blue I will be replacing...any suggestions?

With all my OS files and games I have installed Im using 240/640 gb

Comment

Originally posted by Zantheus View Post
                    Ya I have done the BU already...I went out for a few hours and left the Short DST test running to come home to it in the same spot as it was....definately an issue with the drive....next question is what drive to replace it with?? I only buy WD drives and dont want to go with a SSD. I would like something better/faster than the blue I will be replacing...any suggestions?

With all my OS files and games I have installed Im using 240/640 gb
                    7200rpm mechanical HDD's are topping out performance wise. Any new increases are negligable. Whatever you buy it won't be much faster than your WD Blue.

I recommend the WD Blacks.

Comment

Yea Im thinking I'll just go with this drive and mine as well buy Windows 7 while I'm at it

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...041&CatId=2459

Comment

Get the 640GB version.

Comment

Yea I ran the tests again today just for my own good....Drive fails the Long Generic Test about 2hrs into it. Was hoping the Log would list the sectors that are bad but it doesnt.

Now the saving for a drive and Windows 7 begins

Still debating if I should get SSD for my gaming and a lower capacity Black for my OS

Comment

The new 600GB raptor looks amazing. I'd actually take one over a SSD.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                            Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                            widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X