• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning my next rig

i7-990X + DX58SO2 Extreme Series Motherboard - $705.00
    EVGA GeForce GTX460 1gb - $199.99
    CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W PSU - $164.99
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1502FAEX 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s - $119.99
    COOLER MASTER HAF 922 BLUE RC-922M-KWN2-GP Black ATX Mid - $99.99
    ASUS DVD drive - $21.99
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (x3) - $299.97

My CPU/Motherboard combo is a deal offered at work if I make the purchase before the end of the month. I am an Intel employee and we tend to get half-price deals through our employee purchase program. I was going to wait for one of the free chips they hand out, but I don't know when the next good chips will be in and I don't know what they will be. Right now the best they have is Q9450 which isn't even as good as my QX9750 that I run now.

I already have one of the GTX460's and plan to SLI with the new one.

I have thermal grease already, and I think a CPU cooler comes with the chip. If not then it's a quick trip to the store. So I think I have everything listed.

Grand total is $1,611.92 as is. Of course I'd be watching my local Frye's for good deals to cut down the price.

Whatcha think?
    Last edited by BadHabitz; 16 Apr 2011, 08:17 AM.

id like to think you can get 8 GB of ram for about 1/2 that cost. i was looking at 4 GB bundles and there are a ton for just at 100$ . some were even G skill brand.dont know if an extra 200$ would be worth it. ( ok, after clicking your link, you just put the wrong price down, and i just noticed your X3) why do you want 24GB of ram( other than to sound cool and impress the ladies and stuff?)

the video card will be that price for quite some time. its performance vs demand is just still too high for it to get lowered.

you might be able to save a few bucks on your PSU as well. but, thats one of the areas that you dont really want to skimp on.

Since AMD's bulldozer release date is even closer, id say wait a few weeks, but if you work at intel, i guess that answers that , lol .

Comment

i7 990X @ $1000?

Comment

Looks pretty sweet. The biggest issue I see is that your future upgrade options will be limited. Since 1366 is pretty much EOL, no newer/better CPUs will come out, so you will be stuck with your current cpu until you upgrade your mobo. You would probably be better off getting a P67 motherboard and a 2500k or 2600k. Also, 24GB is waaay overkill. If you want triple channel, you'd probably be better to go with something like this:
        G SKILL 12GB
        [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

That ram seems a bit expensive doesn't it?

Comment

24G of RAM hmm nicee??
            Hit 'em like comic books, kaboom! pow pow!

Comment

I'm all for going over the top but I would cut back on the RAM and get a bigger PSU. This way you can have plenty of room for tougher video cards seeing as it will be your only upgrade option done the road.
              [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
              Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by juneau View Post
                i7 990X @ $1000?

If I just bought the cpu alone through work it would cost around $500. We get them at about half price. I think the 2600k was $100-$150.

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
                  If I just bought the cpu alone through work it would cost around $500. We get them at about half price. I think the 2600k was $100-$150.
                  Can you send me one

Comment

Originally posted by Donziboy2 View Post
                    Can you send me one
                    When I decide it's time to quit my job I will. Sending you a chip isn't worth risking my employment.

Comment

Whats wrong with 1155?
                      Or even wait for the other 2011 socket to be released?

Im asking cause you could possible save money on CPU and spend in on GPU

And you cant buy an 2600k and send it to me? Ill pay for it.......

Comment

the 1155 just got released, by the time the cpu is looking at is no longer viable or "good" the 1155 will be old news. like the socket 775 is right now. sure, its alright, and you can still find stuff for it. In 2-3 years though, the sandy bridge will be old news.

Comment

Originally posted by BadHabitz View Post
                          It's a lot cheaper. But i'm still thinking it's a little pointless. I'd save money and get the 2600K.

Unless of course you're rolling around in $100 bills.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
                            the 1155 just got released, by the time the cpu is looking at is no longer viable or "good" the 1155 will be old news. like the socket 775 is right now. sure, its alright, and you can still find stuff for it. In 2-3 years though, the sandy bridge will be old news.
                            In 2 years you can replace the sandy bridge CPU with an Ivy bridge, extending the relevancy of your system by at least 2 years.
                            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Dead...Again View Post
                              In 2 years you can replace the sandy bridge CPU with an Ivy bridge, extending the relevancy of your system by at least 2 years.
                              i did not know they were trying to make it compatible. its nice for us the consumer, thats for sure.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X