Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A splitter cannot guarantee a stable internet connection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A splitter cannot guarantee a stable internet connection?

This is kind of a follow-up to my recent post about my internet connection, I actually took the line from the house (in the house),and got a barrell connector and just unplugged it all from the splitter, and just had my cable line go straight to the outside box...this was after I had a dropped connection, so I figured I'd try it out to see how it works that way (of course I have no cable connected to the TV's now)

If this works, does this mean splitters can't always provide a stable connection, and it is recommended to run a DIRECT line?

A few years back, I had a cable guy tell me this, I mean, he said it COULD work...sometimes...on a splitter, BUT you might as well run a separate line to guarantee a stable connection

Right?

a splitter can cause issues, but not usually. it is reccomended for best performance, a straight , non split line run right into your modem.

Sometimes you just have a bad splitter, sometimes its just a bad line.

Have you called the ISP about it? when i was having my issues, i called to complain and they said yeah, i bet, you have lost signal 450 times in the last month. They looked at my line, said it could be the splitter, but more than likely my modem.
    i replaced my modem.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
      a splitter can cause issues, but not usually. it is reccomended for best performance, a straight , non split line run right into your modem.

Sometimes you just have a bad splitter, sometimes its just a bad line.

Have you called the ISP about it? when i was having my issues, i called to complain and they said yeah, i bet, you have lost signal 450 times in the last month. They looked at my line, said it could be the splitter, but more than likely my modem.
      i replaced my modem.
      Actually, when I FIRST started to have this issue in late FEB, I had that modem for a long time...figured it was going out on me.

SO I went to the cable office, and swapped it for a brand new "UBEE"

It worked for a while, then the connection started acting up.

Typically, Comcast's trouble shooting methods are

1. Unplugged the power and cable from the modem from the back for a minute
      2. Plug it back in
      3.Do you have a splitter? If so, try disconnecting the splitter unit, and just establish a STRAIGHT connection from the modem itself to the MAIN cable line.

I avoided doing this at first actually, because I refused to believe it was the splitter, because for a long time, splitters never gave me a problem, but why now????

Comment

I've got four or five splitters in my house, no issues.

Make sure you properly terminate any unused cable connections in your house. Unterminated connections cause reflected power and signal loss... .
        These are dirt cheap, well worth the money.
        http://www.amazon.com/Ohm-Terminator.../dp/B0016A986K

[SIZE=1][B]"Now more than ever the people are responsible for the character of their Congress. If that body be ignorant, reckless, and corrupt, it is because the people tolerate ignorance, recklessness, and corruption." ~President James Garfield[/B][/SIZE]
        <<< Please [URL="http://www.cainslair.com/misc.php?do=donate"]donate[/URL] >>>

Comment

If you are going to have splitters try to make sure your modem is off one of the first splits so it gets a higher signal strength.
          Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by baconoclock View Post
            If you are going to have splitters try to make sure your modem is off one of the first splits so it gets a higher signal strength.
            Define "first splits" please

Comment

Originally posted by Evil_T0NY {CLR} View Post
              Define "first splits" please
              Pretty much answer 3

3.Do you have a splitter? If so, try disconnecting the splitter unit, and just establish a STRAIGHT connection from the modem itself to the MAIN cable line.

When the cable from the pole reach to your house, inside that outside wall box (if you have a box) can have 1, 2 or even 3 of those 2 way/3 way splitters. You want the very first splitter coming off the main cable to have direct connection to your modem. Make sure your splitter is at least 1000Hz and up

Comment

I run a splitter for my internet and tvs.Make sure you get the best splitter,you can get.I found out if you buy a cheap one,it will not last.See if you can get one that the cable guys use....thats your best bet.

Comment

On a side note you should see how the old owners of my house wired the cable to the house. splitters off of splitters off of splitters(with a bunch of unterminated lines. Still on my massive to-do list of crap to fix.
                  Delivering bacon goodness one round at a time.

Comment

Guys, pay attention to his setup photo and info from the other thread.

Tony, your modem is currently on a "first split" setup. This is as good as it can get in your house, assuming their replacement line to your house is as advertised and they used an ok splitter, from your main trunk line.

The only thing you can do inside your house now is completely bypass your cable TV and hook your modem to the line coming into your house, and it looks like you already tried that just to see what may change.

-Rand
                    [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                    Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I avoided doing this at first actually, because I refused to believe it was the splitter, because for a long time, splitters never gave me a problem, but why now????
                      To be honest, it's a legit trouble shooting method. Doorknobs break, milk goes bad, splitters can an do fail. They are susceptible to heat, moisture, cold, just like anything else. But having them should not impact performance at all. I have three with no issues. When you hooked your modem to the main line your issues went away?

And another possibility could be a piece of hardware they already replaced was bad, I went through three modems before I received a good unit. I had this post at the end of last year about my internet issues: http://www.cainslair.com/showthread....ht=cablevision
                      Last edited by Devilguns; 20 Apr 2011, 07:03 PM. Reason: more stuff
                      Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

Okay I snagged of these golden splitters

1100 mhz

Reattached the TV's and Cable (all 7db's on them all) the other Splitters and a combination of 3dbs and 7dbs

Comment

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
                          Guys, pay attention to his setup photo and info from the other thread.

Tony, your modem is currently on a "first split" setup. This is as good as it can get in your house, assuming their replacement line to your house is as advertised and they used an ok splitter, from your main trunk line.

The only thing you can do inside your house now is completely bypass your cable TV and hook your modem to the line coming into your house, and it looks like you already tried that just to see what may change.

-Rand
                          opps I didnt even see the other topic, untill you said something.

Comment

Okay I snagged of these golden splitters

1100 mhz

Reattached the TV's and Cable (all 7db's on them all) the other Splitters and a combination of 3dbs and 7dbs

This is a little confusing. Are you saying you reattached the other splitters?

If so, DON'T.

The purpose of a 4-way splitter is to minimize signal loss that you get by using multiple splitters. Use JUST the 4-way. Plug your main line into the "in," and your cable line and 3 tv lines into each of the "outs." That's all you would need to do with this one. Dump the other splitters.

The dbs here are the loss levels for each split. You lost more signal on a 4-way than a 2-way because it splits the signal more.

-Rand
                            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4333/35734799273_0013dbe418_z.jpg[/img]

Killing CLRs since 2004. BOOSH!
                            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

No, I replaced everything with this one splitter....so far it's been working, it's just "wait and see" if it's working with this nicer splitter.

The purpose of a 4-way splitter is to minimize signal loss that you get by using multiple splitters. Use JUST the 4-way. Plug your main line into the "in," and your cable line and 3 tv lines into each of the "outs." That's all you would need to do with this one. Dump the other splitters.
                              YEP, did just that.

Just using ONE 4-way splitter now, that's it.

I'm seeing what happens.

So far, I've been maintaining a connection. But today will be the true test.

Originally posted by Rand{CLR} View Post
                              This is a little confusing. Are you saying you reattached the other splitters?

If so, DON'T.

The dbs here are the loss levels for each split. You lost more signal on a 4-way than a 2-way because it splits the signal more.

-Rand

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X