Looking to build a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to build a new computer

First off, let me start by saying I apologize for being MIA for so long, but this past year was my first year of college, and therefore I've been gaming even less than I had been.

I've also been doing the majority of my gaming on consoles for the past few years, simply because I didn't have the funds to purchase a new computer. Now, however, with summer coming up, I'll be able to finish off the $1,000 I've been saving and put together my own computer for the first time. Since this will be my first build, I'd really appreciate some help. I don't want to make a $1,000 mistake. Although I've done my fair share of reading up on components and could easily identify a good CPU, graphics card, etc., I'm not sure what a good configuration would be. I'd likely just select the best CPU and graphics card and then end up with crappy RAM, hard drive, and what not.

I already have a monitor, Windows 7, speakers, mouse, keyboard, and all that good stuff, so I'm really only interested in the desktop itself. I'd also like to, if possible, not have to upgrade my CPU and graphics card for as long as possible (except, perhaps, adding another card for SLI/crossfire). I'm okay with having to add in some more RAM, or a SSD, later in the future.

So I guess I'm kind of asking for thoughts on a build, with focus on a roughly 1,000 dollar budget, a nice CPU/graphics card which will last me a few years, and whatever other components you guys would suggest for such a build.

Hope to be playing with you guys again soon,

Kirk

Just put together my first build myself.

I used the intel i7 2600 LGA1155 3.4 Ghz processor and it does wonders.

As for video card I went with the EVGA Nvidia 570 GTX 1280mb HD and it rocks.

Just make sure that your motherboard, CPU, and CPU cooler are all compatible with eachother (make sure they are the same socket).
    We work in the dark, to serve the light. We are Assassins.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Comment

intel sandybridge are the newest and best. AMD's chips are cheaper and still great.

nvidia or ati cards are awesome anymore.

the new machines get warm, so make sure your case has ample air flow/areas to place fans.

shop around on new egg, make some wish lists, etc. i like to look for fre shipping deals if possible. there are some posts in the computer lab here with great links to CPU and GPU charts. ( for comparisons)

the physical part of assembly is quite easy, its the choosing of parts that can be nerve racking. with 1000 to spend, you can get a very nice rig.
      very nice

Comment

What resolution will you be playing at what parts do you have or can reuse from and older system?

You can get the I5 2500k for about the same price as the i7 2600 and it can be overclocked.

There is more then 1 thread atm from people who have just finished builds in the last 2 weeks.

1k build from tomshardware
        They dont add in the cost of an OS into that, but its a good benchmark point. Even if you back off a level on the GPU you will still be gaming pretty well on a 1920x1200 res.
        You can also pinch a few pennies off the Mobo if you dont plan on using more then 1 GPU.

Comment

KJ!!!! Long time no see! April 2009 in fact.

Good to see you around these part again. I presume you'll be playing BF3 with us?

Comment

Do you need a case?
            Do you want to OC this badboy?
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

I'm hoping to be playing BF3, yes.

I will need to get a case, and I'd definitely be interested in overclocking to get as much as I can from my system. I want a case that'll have good air flow, fit everything nicely, and help dampen noise somewhat, but I really have no interest in how the case itself looks. I'd rather spend less money on a case and more on other components, if possible.

Comment

OK bud I threw a setup togeather for you to look at.

KJHenf custom build

I did this just to make sure you could do it. I would suggest going threw and double checking spacing and such.

The CPU is a no brainer. Cheap and can OC easy.
                HSF, I prefure the kind that blow down onto the motherboard. Some people prefure to send the air at the rear exhaust. Its up to you the Cooler Master 212 plus is in the same price range.

I picked the case cause it looks decent and has lots of 120mm fan spaces. Including space on the side door for extra fans, always nice. Free shipping to.

The PSU is highly rated and it is well priced. Modular to so less clutter.

The GPU is actually the last item i chose cause i wanted to make sure to give you enough of everything else. Its a very good performer. But you might want to look at the NVIDIA 560TI. Its a lil more expensive and took me over the 1k cap so I excluded it.

The MSI motherboard looks decent. There is 5-6 in the 130-160 range that have plenty of options. Not sure about there OC Genie since I havent read to much about it.

I would have preferred to go 8gb ram but it just would not have been worth it on the budget. Its Cas 7 thou The extra 40-50 is better spent on more GPU muscle. You can always buy another 2x2 set later on and loosen timings a smudge and be at 8gb.

The Samsung HD is a good performer. Its not a Raptor or SSD but it will do the job.

CDrom's are cheap.

This is just to give you an idea. The most important thing is to make sure it all fits not only together but into your wallet

Comment

I don't need Windows, so I guess I can save $100 in that location, and I'm looking into selling my Xbox which, in all, should net me an additional $300 of funds. What areas would you recommend I put it into? Upgrading to the 560/doubling the ram as you mentioned?

Comment

What OS are you planning on using?

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
                    Cas 8 1.5v 8gb ram
                    Will be fairly fast and will run cool.

Maybe go up to a Raptor HDD, maybe and SSD, and more GPU power never hurts.

If you go with a faster HDD then you need to get a second storage drive to make up for the size difference between 7200 rpm drives and the raptor/SSD drives.

GPU wise the order goes AMD 6850/NVIDIA 560TI/ AMD 6950 and then it goes past $300.

So you already have a copy of Win 7 64bit?
                    What kind of resolution will you be running?

Comment

You could upgrade the mobo from the P67A-G45 to the P67A-G65. I have the G65 board, and I like it.
                      [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

KJ!!! Good to see you again and congrats on the first year in College.

We have missed your flying skills...although until BFBC2 there wasn't much to fly. BF3 will give you another chance.

Good luck with the build. With the new sandy bridge chips and selection of graphics cards..you will have plenty of fire power for very little (compared to the past).

I would go with the i5-2500K and a Nvidia 560Ti to max you $$

Look forward to seeing you in game with the new rig

Comment

One thing you could do is get 1 560 TI now and then in say 6 months buy a second and go SLI.

Just remember its your money, Im not saying you have to use the parts I listed. Those are just good benchmarks, I only spent about an hour putting that list together. Usually when I build a system for myself I might spend 2 weeks researching all the parts before I order the whole rig.

Comment

When I'm home later I'll have to post up my "expected" build and see what you guys think. My cost quickly went from $1,000 to almost $1,400, but I'm far happier with the end result.

This just means it'll be another month or so before I can get everything and put it together, but I think it'll be worth the wait.

Edit: and I greatly appreciate all the help thus far. I feel like having you guys here to help is almost cheating!

Comment

z68 is fast approaching and im hoping it causes prices to drop more.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X