Cable or DSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WalkinTarget
    After about eight months, they have now doubled my D/L and U/L to 3.0/768 and dropped the price to $30 a month.
    I am jealous. :P
    [url=http://profile.xfire.com/nomadicus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/nomadicus.png[/img][/url]

Comment

Originally posted by seiko
      Originally posted by lucid
      If you don't have to sign a contract I would try both.
      I would say you would always have to sign a contract of some sorts because they need to know who to bill, and make sure that they are getting their money's worth out of the customer.
      I have bellsouth dsl and mediacom cable and neither required a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by seiko
        If you don't have to sign a contract I would try both.
        I would say you would always have to sign a contract of some sorts because they need to know who to bill, and make sure that they are getting their money's worth out of the customer.
        I have bellsouth dsl and mediacom cable and neither required a contract.
        How did ya manage that one? I'm rather curious.
        [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/echosofbliss/seiko8wy.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Cable is fast. Fast is good. Cable is good.

Comment

How did ya manage that one? I'm rather curious.
            I know withy SBC-Yahoo DSL you don't have to sign a year's contract, but you'll pay $39.99 a month. With a year's contract you get into the special deals, I know I signed a years contract to get a guaranteed 2.5/768 for $29.99 a month.

Plus if you call SBC up over the phone you never know what you can get if you get an service rep who has been with them a long time, knows what they are doing, and is in a good moood. :P
            * Tuqui-tuqui hugs bliss
            <Tuqui> hmm .... nice and soft
            <bliss> ...
            * bliss` takes off his bunny suit

Comment

I tried SBC once, and it sucked. It was slow (we're talking 128 kbps slow) and they kept telling me I had to wait 10 days for the service to speed up. The 10th day came and went and it was still slow so I called and FINALLY got a guy who knew what he was talking about. Iit turns out I'm 15,000 feet away from the nearest server, which placed me in the slowest possible "speed tier" (a feature they never seem to mention when you sign up for the service). The person I ordered the service from told me I was 4,500 feet away...not the case.

The funny part is, I still get calls from them every month or so letting me know SBC Yahoo! DSL is now available in my area. Every time they call I tell them about my experience and every time they place me on hold only to come back and say "yeah it would only be 128 kbps for you" yet they STILL keep trying to sell it to me.

Needless to say, I switched right back to Comcast. Sure I get outtages every couple of months for "system upgrades" and stuff but it's well worth it.

Comment

Broad-band

Comment

Thanks all for the input. I've done a good bit a research in my area and it all really boils down to a cable versus dsl debate. Costs and bandwidth are pretty the same between the two. The other requirement that I would need is that I would be able to host servers (eg. Web server). I'm currently on Earthlink which allows me to do this, but I've heard that other providers are actively monitoring anyone hosting servers or are so lax about their policy that they don't care. Thoughts?
                  "May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch."

Comment

I think he was refering to signing a year long contract.

Bomzin

Comment

Verizon is starting to offer Fiber Optic service in my area.

Up to 5 Mbps ..... $39.95 (2 Mbps guaranteed)
                      Up to 15 Mbps ....$49.95 (2 Mbps guaranteed)
                      Up to 30 Mbps....$199.95 (5 Mbps guaranteed)

I have cable, but I'm thinking about switching.

Comment

Originally posted by Paminators Hubby
                        Verizon is starting to offer Fiber Optic service in my area.

Up to 5 Mbps ..... $39.95 (2 Mbps guaranteed)
                        Up to 15 Mbps ....$49.95 (2 Mbps guaranteed)
                        Up to 30 Mbps....$199.95 (5 Mbps guaranteed)

I have cable, but I'm thinking about switching.
                        Looks nice!
                        It is funny. I can get something similar from RoadRunner but only when I go for the $200/month do I get above 384Kb/s uplink. Honestly, I don't care about download speeds anymore . . . they are fast enough. I want uplink speed so I can setup a server.
                        [url=http://profile.xfire.com/nomadicus][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/0/nomadicus.png[/img][/url]

Comment

You could always do what I do and just use other peoples' servers.

Comment

Originally posted by pinky
                            Thanks all for the input. I've done a good bit a research in my area and it all really boils down to a cable versus dsl debate. Costs and bandwidth are pretty the same between the two. The other requirement that I would need is that I would be able to host servers (eg. Web server). I'm currently on Earthlink which allows me to do this, but I've heard that other providers are actively monitoring anyone hosting servers or are so lax about their policy that they don't care. Thoughts?
                            speak to a few people in your area that have both and ask them how often each service has gone down, what they think of it, if it's even been slow for long periods of time...

Choosing between DSL and cable is like buying a car, you NEED to do research.

Comment

DSL - I worked for the cable company... I know too much. LOL j/k

Here at the house we get 768/6MB which does not vary..

We also have Cable internet in the house because the roomate gets the service for free.... and also gets the 'upgraded service' that is 768/4MB and variable.

Comment

Originally posted by Acacia
                                Here at the house we get 768/6MB which does not vary..
                                here it can vary because it will cut on and off. Not to mention their modem isn't compatable with linksys routers for the most part.... Curse Alltech and their crappy support.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X