Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small Business Server - WHS 2011

Hi guys,

I have been using a Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 plus as a file server for my business. For many reasons I want to change to a Windows based server.

I want all of us to be able to access, edit and share files on the server.

Has anyone here used WHS 2011 ?? If so can you share your experiences with it ?

Have you ever tried Sinology NAS? I have few of them , and im pretty satisfied. Its not WHS but its pretty impressive.

I have this one DS211

Comment

I've pretty much had it with NASs.... I'm wanting to make file copying, editing, sharing, backing up etc. more seamless and more like we are accustomed to...

Comment

Only issue i think might exisit is if your using nt domains or active directory for universal logins.
        If i remember right it does not login to domains

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
        ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

Comment

Originally posted by Cain View Post
          I'm wanting to make file copying, editing, sharing, backing up etc. more seamless and more like we are accustomed to...
          Hmm... Thats what a NAS is supposed to do? Is the netgear that bad? I mean I know it's not an enterprise grade product but, still I thought it would be easy to use?

Comment

From what I have read, WHS 2011 is very easy to set up and use. The only drawback I have heard (over the older version) is no Drive Extender, which allowed you to stick a bunch of drives in the system and treat it as a single large drive (kinda like a JBOD). However, I have heard that there are a few addons out there that will add the same functionality.
            [url=http://www.enjin.com/bf3-signature-generator][img]http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-bf3/1fad512dc784c11c.png[/img][/url]

Comment

I use several Buffalo NAS's here at my office, they have proven simple and reliable in my environment for exactly what you were mentioning. I run several servers as well including and up to EMC VNXE systems running multiple virtual machines but I love those little Buffalo NAS devices for backing up data.

Comment

I am using a Linksys ReadyNas and we have had continual file permission issues.

Also I would like to be able to restore just one file from my backup if necessary, not have to restore the entire backup.

Comment

I primarily use them for my desktop PC backups, about 50 of them and I use Acronis to back them all up nightly. That allows me to do single file restores and manage them all from a central location. Its handy.

As for the NAS and login authentication, if you are on Active Directory its not too bad. Instructions pasted below if anyone is interested.

With the Linkstation Pro/Terastation Pro/Terastation Pro v2 it is possible to join an active directory domain. Hopefully this article helps many to get it setup faster.
                  Before you begin some points shall be respected to avoid errors afterwards.
                  Time, Date and Timezone have to be identical on both sides with maximum 5 minutes difference,
                  Do not join from the servers side,
                  Server and TeraStation Pro, Pro II or LinkStation Pro have to be in the local network, no subnet or VPN_Tunnel allowed
                  the username used for joining the Active Directory has to be member of the Administrator Group and has to have a password without special characters. There is no need to use the Administrator account with its password but any account with administrative privilieges.
                  The Primary DNS Server IP Address inside the network settings of the Buffalo NAS has to point to the DNS/DC you want to join.
                  Prerequisites

There must be a machine account for your TeraStation on your Domain controller existing, (It must be configured for a pre Windows 2000 computer).
                  This machine account for the TS must be flagged as trusted for delegation,
                  Inside your DNS-server there must be the (A)Host entry for the TS in the Forward-Lookup-Zone and
                  inside your Reverse-Lookup-Zone there must be the PTR-Record.
                  Make sure the time of the terastation does not differ more than 10 minutes from the AD server

If 2) and 4) are not given then the LinkStation Pro/TeraStation Pro/Terastation ProII is not allowed to join the ADS as BDC, Backup domain controller, which is the working scheme of the ADS client on the Stations.

If 1-4 is given the LinkStation Pro/TeraStation Pro/Terastation ProII is able to join. Inside the Network setup you only have to enter the NetBIOS name, the full qualified Domain name and the full qualified PDC name with Domain Administrator name and password.

The LDAP on the Station then is contacting the PDC (Forward-Lookup-Zone set) and is asking for a copy of existing users. If "trusted for delegation" the TS will receive the answer (Trusted flagged and Reverse-Lookup-Zone set). So, if the last settings are not existing the answer will not be given and send. Here are about 95% of all ADS-issues located.

Normal Windows Clients in any ADS do not need to be set up this way since the PDC, the Primary Domain Controller, is handling all stuff by its own. But TeraStation Pro / Pro II and LinkStation Pro are separate things. They both communicate using the internal LDAP to communicate with the PDC. But the PDC in general is not contacted by any clients since he is the one-and-own master. So the PDC must be configured to accept the Station as a unit in the network which is allowed to contact the PDC. This is done by flagging the machine account as "trusted for delegation". Now the PDC is answering the requests. Additional the complete DNS forward and backward communication is done by both entries in the DNS-Server running on the PDC. Please note that you also should set the primary DNS IP-Address (inside network IP-Address setup of the Stations) to this and not to the gateway/router.

Comment

I did a test drive of WHS 2011 tonight.

It is quite simply a scaled down version of Win server 2008, with a cool front end... I am very comfortable with this, it feels very familiar. I have been pulling my hair out dealing with the NAS for a year now.

Windows server 2008 costs $723.00 for 0 clients.

WHS 2011 costs $52.00 for 10 clients....

I'll report back on both my server build and my OS experience.

Comment

I posted about WHS in your RAID thread, but it is so freakin' cool when it works as advertised.
                      I am not impressed with the typical Microsoft product, whether it be software or hardware, but I consider WHS to be their best product that no one seems to care about until you see it in action.

Cain, you will be thoroughly impressed with how well it works. From backups to media streaming to an Itunes server, it does a great job of doing what it is supposed to do. I just wish they had kept the drive extender technology that existed in WHS 2003, which supported JBOD. Removing that essentially killed off any enthusiast support for WHS.
                      Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

What amazes me WT about WHS 2011 is that it is essentially Windows server 2008, with some cool features simplified and it only costs 50 bucks !!

I tried out their interactive online demo thingy last night and came away thoroughly impressed. I can even set up Webdav so we can easily access our files remotely with our iPads.

Comment

Heh, that $50 WHS 2011 deal was a nice purchase on your part. I passed on it due to my old WHS '03 version doing just fine, plus it supports the drive extender JBOD technology.
                          These days, with 2tb drives available for only $75, its not as important as I make it seem, but for anyone who has played with the original WHS will tell you, it was just a really smooth way to add or even remove a drive from the WHS.

I use mine for remote access as well. Accessing all my home files from work is a godsend when you need something that you don't have handy on a thumb drive.
                          Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

do you remote access with the web thingy, or WebDav??

And how do you set up a remote access web address?? Do I need my own domain, or not?>

Comment

A static IP address is the easiest way. Most providers will give you one for an additional fee of course. Set up port forwarding on your firewall/router to the machine you want to remote and off you go. After that there are a lot of remote control protocols you can use, VNC is an easy free one.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X