Some upgrade parts and a new build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some upgrade parts and a new build.

Well, I got the Sandy Bridge Itch and decided to upgrade. I had an I5-750@ 3.6ghz which ran great. At the time it was the slowest of the Intel chips, but still faster than the fastest AMD chip. I was even able to run it at4.0ghz, but while temps were still within specs, they ran a little too close to max.

Old Mobo ASUS MaximusIII:

The I5-2500K is a fun chip. I OC'd it to 4.6ghz before I even loaded the operating system. Even @4.6ghz, the temps don't even come close to the I5-750

New Mobo ASUS Maximus IV:

My only complaint is these new bios operating systems that let you use a mouse take quite a bit longer to load. With my old mobo, boot up was only like 20 seconds, now it takes 20 seconds to load the bios. I also increased the amount of ram to 16 gigs from four. Messing around I noticed no difference performance wise, 8 gigs or sixteen. But BF3 map loading times were cut in half going from 4 to 8. With the SLI'd GTX460's I have I got some where around a 20 to 30 frame rate increase in game.

I always like to have two rigs, so for the second I went AMD/ATI. I took a 3.5ghz Phenom and overclocked it to 4.0 Corsair 750watt modular PSU, 8gigs of ram. The graphics card is a MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB. I also used an MSI mobo for this build.

New build, back up/guest gaming rig:

Frame rate in BF3 isn't bad, averages some where between 40 to 50fps. Basically it's a machine for my wife and friends to use, or if I blow my system up, so for that purpose its great. Again, the only problem I have is the Bios boot time, although its only about 20 seconds longer, I'm used windows already being started. The AMD chip was a great value, wound up getting it for under 130$ with a bundle deal with the ram. The ram wound up only being 22$ per 4gig stick which is crazy. I remember almost 20 years ago paying $400.00 for 8megs!

It's also nice having 2 machines in the house to keep the kids quiet, Here's my 7year daughter pwning our friends 10 year old son in BF3 who's only used to and XBOX.

Last edited by Devilguns; 14 Jan 2012, 06:25 AM. Reason: added picture
    Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Gorgeous machine. Specially that shot of the insides. And you should get your daughter to teach you how to not get knifed 3 times in one minute on Karkand

Comment

I have the same MB with a I5 2600K CPU Devilguns. I like the new UEFI Interface better than BIOS. It is cleaner, more intuitive and even pretty.
      What are you using for cooling? I am using the Corsair H100.
      Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
      Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
      I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
      Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Originally posted by K PhaNTOM View Post
        Gorgeous machine. Specially that shot of the insides. And you should get your daughter to teach you how to not get knifed 3 times in one minute on Karkand
        Get yer facts straight, it was three times in one minute six seconds lol.

@Apache, I do like the interface better. Much more intuitive,
        and slick looking. MSI did an amazing job in that department too. I'm still using that 135mm Zalman cooler, works really well. I just squeezes inside my Vulcan Matx case. The Asus ROG connect is a fun feature. Useful too.

Comment

ASUS ROG has so many features and uses. That is why I like their Republic of Gamers mother boards. ASUS - Republic Of Gamers
          I know what you mean about MSI. I built my mother a MSI based computer for Christmas.
          Apache

Where do you put the Bayonet?
          Chesty Puller (upon seeing a flamethrower for the first time)
          I am all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters.
          Frank Lloyd Wright

Comment

Nice pics/specs. I love my Antec 1200. There was even a time where i could see under all the dust it pulls in.
            [img]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/35734799443_53cb20ef13_z.jpg[/img]

Killed by CLRs since 2004. WOOT!
            Support Cainslair. Donate here! [url]http://www.cainslair.org/billspaypal.php?[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Duke{CLR} View Post
              Nice pics/specs. I love my Antec 1200. There was even a time where i could see under all the dust it pulls in.
              I miss using my Zalman Reserator, I only needed one fan in the case. Never had any dust with that.

Comment

That thing looks like a paddle wheel on a boat.
                [COLOR="#008080"][/COLOR][SIZE="5"][COLOR="LightBlue"][B]Not everything that counts on the battlefield is countable.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,177   Active Members: 4
                Welcome to our newest member, EzraGilchr.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.
                widgetinstance 184 (More Posts) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X