Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible my MB underclocked itself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible my MB underclocked itself?

I just noticed this on start up (its prob been like this for ages)

"Intel Core 2 E5300 @ 1.700 (200x8.5)"

I had a look see at the intel site, it says the multipliers 13...
    should i go in and change it?

I'm not insane. I'm just overwhelming!

·····••••• Support Cainslair. Donate here!•••••·····
    ·····••••• and get extra options! •••••·····

If you saw that at the BIOS bootup screen, its safe to say it is not true. Its reporting the default speed of the CPU, not its overclocked speed. Easy way to find out, assuming you are running Win 7 or Vista is to open up Device Manager (Windows key+Pause key) and see what it says under P'rocessor'.

If it is set at its default speed, then you either had a BSOD or startup error that set it back to default. My C2Q 6700 does that occasionally, but when I get into Windows and look, its back to overclocked again.
    Oh if a man tried to take his time on Earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, well I wonder what would happen to this world ? - Harry Chapin

Comment

well windows is saying @ 2.60Ghz 1.60Ghz

so is that 1.6 my 'not so worried pc' speed...

btw pcs all out of the box values, no over clocking... hehe
      why i'm a bit confused as to whats the normal

Comment

I've got you beat Sirex! 3.30Ghz! I know, I know, you've had that processor for awhile. But the fact that I've got you beat is awesome haha

Any suggestions for an overclocking site? I was thinking overclockers would be my best bet. I need something organized that will start me from the beginning and work my way into it so I don't get lost in the advanced formulas of overclocking.

I heard someone say they got the 2500k to 5Ghz! I don't really believe it, but apparently it's been done.

Comment

Most motherboards underclock their CPU's during low usage times to save power and heat. I recently looked at a friends i3 and it was underclocking itself around 1.5 GHz at idle, and under load it was overclocking itself. This caused issues with the crappy cooler Dell put on it.

Google CPU-Z, and install whichever version is relevant to your operating system. When you launch it, it will show you the current voltage, multipliers, etc.

Then, Google Prime95 and download it. Make sure you opt-out of auto-launching it at startup if it asks. When you launch it, choose to do a stress test, and do the one that says 'maximum heat'. Also test all cores, if that is an option.

When you do this, you should see the processor numbers fall into line, or even overclock slightly if it is using TurboBoost or whatever Intel calls it these days.

Let me know what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by Nilesjones View Post
            I've got you beat Sirex! 3.30Ghz! I know, I know, you've had that processor for awhile. But the fact that I've got you beat is awesome haha

Any suggestions for an overclocking site? I was thinking overclockers would be my best bet. I need something organized that will start me from the beginning and work my way into it so I don't get lost in the advanced formulas of overclocking.

I heard someone say they got the 2500k to 5Ghz! I don't really believe it, but apparently it's been done.
            I'm quite happy with my lil E5300 hehe
            It does the jobs I want I cant complain.
            Only issue is newer games dont like my CPU speed

Comment

OK here we go

Apps are bg > fg

taskmanager perforance pane
              gigabytes own cpuz style thing EasyTune6
              CPU-Z

Idle PC
              Left for an hour (i ate while i waited)

Core #0 only (1 core test)

After 1 core test

Pushing both cores
              core #0

core #1

Maybe the Bios setting is a 'hard top limit'...

Comment

Yeah... when your CPU is pegged at 100% like that, it *should* be increasing the CPU up to its maximum rated speed.

If that CPU is rated up to a x13 multiplier, set the multiplier to that in the BIOS, and also check your other settings (CPU voltage, memory speeds/timings/voltages) to make sure they're set at what the parts recommend in their specifications. I'm guessing it went into some sort of a failsafe mode after a bluescreen or other crash.

Comment

Might it be linked to my old psu not giving it enough power?
                  Know since i changed my very old psu things have been behaving better.

The bios does have a 'F7 - Load Optimal Values', might just go thru the screens and press that...

Ill reset the x13 see if it breaks, bios and mb are ment to be 'smart' in the sence it detects bad settings....
                  But not being an overlocker ive never tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by SighKoPath View Post
                    Yeah... when your CPU is pegged at 100% like that, it *should* be increasing the CPU up to its maximum rated speed.

If that CPU is rated up to a x13 multiplier, set the multiplier to that in the BIOS, and also check your other settings (CPU voltage, memory speeds/timings/voltages) to make sure they're set at what the parts recommend in their specifications. I'm guessing it went into some sort of a failsafe mode after a bluescreen or other crash.
                    Could his motherboard (bios) be capping his voltage to the CPU at some safe level for some reason? Here is what it should be at:

2.6 GHz 2 MB 800 MT/s 13× 0.85–1.3625 V 65 W LGA 775

I mean the reason we are not seeing the max voltage is because the multiplier isn't all the way up, but maybe it is some stupid constraint in the BIOS holding it back.

I don't think I have ever picked any of the 'load performance' options, etc. in BIOS, I am always wary about trusting things like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Nilesjones View Post

It's possible. Go to overclock.net and you'll find a ton of people who have. That's where I learned to get mine to 5ghz:

http://3dmark.com/3dm06/16398477

Never went past 54c either.
                      Old school or the new, doesn't mean a thing if your heart's not true...

Comment

I just did a bios update, it appears to have reset all my settings inc the cpu stuff to defaults.
                        I ran some tests before i left the house, mind im only using stock stuff.
                        The cpu hit 2.6 fine, fan was revving fastest ive heard it.
                        Temp hit 60c alert in a minuite tops, then creeped to 70,
                        then all the bells and whistles for hot chips started.
                        I kinda got worried once it hit 74, seen as its the rated temp.

Least i know it works, im just scared i cook my pc
                        Btw my vcore strayed steady around 1.28 all the way.

Comment

i got it to x13 as i said.
                          The temps where a little worrying
                          this is x12 @2.4 rather than stock @2.6
                          I really gotta reseat my CPUHS, its obviously needing it

about to encode 2 videos, lets see how they hit my pc.

Comment

Well new thermal pastes on, i forgot to take a pic but the connection was horrible.
                            No wonder it was hot.
                            All renewed and cleaned up too so now to do the bit i hate....
                            Plugging it all in again

Comment

New Idle Temp

no before pic but was in high 30s

Underload
                              before

after

THe before image was only 3-4 mins with prime, after one is near 15mins with prime
                              and still no buzzer alerts from the pc.

Thou i think i might have not fastend the cpu fan on right.
                              after about 12mins i could hear a vibration...
                              must check that out.

Comment

Cain's Lair Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 26,182   Posts: 269,814   Members: 6,176   Active Members: 2
                              Welcome to our newest member, 28Farrell8.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

More Posts

Collapse

• Reply to 6 years
                                by Apache Warrior
                                6 Mar 2024, 08:29 AM
                              • Reply to 6 years
                                by Sirex
                                I think there is like a magical time span when bikes become worth a fortune.

Yeah thought its now or never haha
                                Just hit 2.5K miles...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:37 PM
                              • Reply to Hey Guys...It's BrundleFly
                                by Sirex
                                Hey Brundle nice to see your post I remember you very well hows thing with you.

Not a busy place here these days but its still up and occasionally...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:34 PM
                              • Reply to Hell Let Loose
                                by Sirex
                                Hey nice to see you

Its not a busy place, least not as busy as it once was but you still get the odd message posted every few weeks...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:31 PM
                              • Reply to I had Open Heart Surgery!!
                                by Sirex
                                Wow its amazing how well the body can cope with things it deams normal.

Hope your recovering well and back to full steam.

OH...
                                5 Mar 2024, 04:28 PM
                              Working...
                              X